Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Kind of expensive too - as I've seen during searches for iBook batteries. :(

Yah. Pretty much what does exist out there for PowerPC laptops is exorbitantly high, and the quality is very nearly never so. This is also increasingly becoming the case for early Intel MacBook-based batteries. I’m on my second replacement battery for an early ’08 MBP in two years, and this one, like the first, is of questionable quality: it is swelling like a dead raccoon on a hot summer’s day. The first one just plain died.

MacPro2006VBox

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2014
Yah. Pretty much what does exist out there for PowerPC laptops is exorbitantly high, and the quality is very nearly never so. This is also increasingly becoming the case for early Intel MacBook-based batteries. I’m on my second replacement battery for an early ’08 MBP in two years, and this one, like the first, is of questionable quality: it is swelling like a dead raccoon on a hot summer’s day. The first one just plain died.

Same thing with Polycarbonate MacBook batteries… only bought one because I didn’t want a hole where it would be. The battery lasted less than a month and no longer charges. At least it hasn’t swelled up like the original.

Reactions: Dilli

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Same thing with Polycarbonate MacBook batteries… only bought one because I didn’t want a hole where it would be. The battery lasted less than a month and no longer charges. At least it hasn’t swelled up like the original.
I couldn’t care less about having working batteries in my 2007 MBPs — if it weren’t for the “downclock to 1 GHz” issue on OS X.

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
I couldn’t care less about having working batteries in my 2007 MBPs — if it weren’t for the “downclock to 1 GHz” issue on OS X.

Ordinarily I'd agree. I was blessed with a power cut earlier today which shut off my 2006 MBP in the middle of a data recovery attempt because its depleted battery couldn't maintain the session till the power was restored.

Yeah, the CPU throttling is annoying. At least it doesn't happen with the PPC laptops when their batteries fail.

It happens with 800 MHz or faster TiBooks too: they downclock to 667 and disable L3.

I’m not sure why they did that with the Ti PowerBooks, but didn’t do so with later Al PowerBooks. Downclocking doesn’t happen on my A1138 mule, which has never run with a working battery since I got it in 2019.

Learned that one the hard way.

I wonder if the 1st Gen 12" and 17" have the same quirk, seeing as they're also 7455-based 'Books.

That is a very good question!

I care. I like having a working laptop with me, even when there’s no outlet around. And for the laptop I use for DJing, having a working battery can make the difference between a show going on and bringing down the house floor in a bunch of disappointment.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
I’m not sure why they did that with the Ti PowerBooks, but didn’t do so with later Al PowerBooks.
Perhaps the higher-specced 7455s and their L3 were (deemed) too power-hungry to live off the poor AC adapter alone(?)

I care. I like having a working laptop with me, even when there’s no outlet around. And for the laptop I use for DJing, having a working battery can make the difference between a show going on and bringing down the house floor in a bunch of disappointment.
Good point. I don't use my 2007 MBPs for productive stuff, mostly just for playing around with Tiger or things requiring an ExpressCard slot (*cough* eGPU *cough*). My newer MBPs, which I do use for productive stuff, all have working batteries in them to provide several hours of use. :) My 15" 2007 MBP actually has a working battery but my 17" doesn't.

ww2_1943

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2021
North NJ
Hi guys, do iTunes 10.6.3 still works on Sorbet Leopard? I mean, mostly authorizing the Mac.
Thanks
Nope. That functionality is now gone.
You can not retrieve or buy songs from your account.
The only thing that works in internet radio, NPR podcasts, and of course syncing devices locally and playing music that is brought over by other means.

• Sad
Reactions: TheStork

Certificate of Excellence

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2021
I had the weirdest thing happen running Sorbet on a a1117 PMg5. Everything works fine until I install and start an instance of screen cap software like screenium or screenflow. When this is done, the right side of the menu bar disappears and while I can navigate the desktop with my mouse, activate menus etc. most apps just beach ball. I've never had this happen before on this box. I have used both screen cap apps on 10.5.8 without issue.
menubar missing 10.5.9.jpg

At first I thought it was rebirth causing the menubar and desktop to wig out, so I reinstalled without it and here we are, these screen cap apps are still doing it. Odd behavior indeed. What makes it worse, is that a reboot does not correct the bad behavior and missing menu bar.

Anyone have any thoughts?

• Wow
Reactions: Jack Neill

synctek

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2023
Greetings all!! I recently downloaded the Sorbet Leopard 1.5 and attempted to install it on my G5PPC. I used both disk manager and Carbon Copy to push the .DMG file to a 500GB Samsung SSD. The image deployment is successful but when I go to Settings, Startup Disk to look for the newly imaged drive, it does not show up. I tried downloading ver 1.4 but continue to get corrupt images. Any advice would be appreciated.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Does the SSD show up in the boot menu when holding Alt/Option after powering on? Does the MD5 sum of the dmg check out?

synctek

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2023
Thank you for the response. I will test the boot menu and verify the hash of the 1.4 download. Do you or anyone else happen to know of an alternate location to get 1.4? Wondering if the older version would work. In the event the drive does NOT show up in the boot menu, what would you suggest? After pushing the image, I viewed the folder/files on the drive. They were typical to bootable OSX operating system.

Reactions: Amethyst1

ww2_1943

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2021
North NJ
Greetings all!! I recently downloaded the Sorbet Leopard 1.5 and attempted to install it on my G5PPC. I used both disk manager and Carbon Copy to push the .DMG file to a 500GB Samsung SSD. The image deployment is successful but when I go to Settings, Startup Disk to look for the newly imaged drive, it does not show up. I tried downloading ver 1.4 but continue to get corrupt images. Any advice would be appreciated.
I really wouldn't bother with 1.4. The version isn't the issue if neither one works for you yet. I have Sorbet on a 7,3 G5 DP 1.8 and a dual core 2.3 G5. The Dual Core G5 is using a 500GB Samsung 870 EVO SSD.

Did you install Sorbet on a partition? If so, boot into the other OS partition you have (I usually have 2 partitions on my G5s 10.4 and 10.5 Sorbet). Then go to Startup Disk and check if Sorbet is visible. If so, change the Startup Disk and it should show up in the bootloader and work. I had to do this with some computers.

If you don't have another partition with a bootable OS, put the G5 in target disk mode, connect it to another PowerPC machine and change the Startup disk to Sorbet. Restart the computer (Not the G5. That should be left in Target Disk Mode). You can force shutdown after the boot process. Restart the G5 and it should show up on the bootloader.

FYI-
Here is the procedure I use to install Sorbet-

1. Put the computer (target computer) I want to install it on in Target Disk Mode.
2. Connect the target computer to another PowerPC Mac through FireWire.
3. Use Carbon Copy Cloner (Disk Utility will not work) to restore the image to the drive of the target computer.
4. After the restore is complete, shut down the computer I used to install Sorbet with.
5. Restart the target computer.

Last edited:

synctek

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2023
I really wouldn't bother with 1.4. The version isn't the issue if neither one works for you yet. I have Sorbet on a 7,3 G5 DP 1.8 and a dual core 2.3 G5. The Dual Core G5 is using a 500GB Samsung 870 EVO SSD.

Did you install Sorbet on a partition? If so, boot into the other OS partition you have (I usually have 2 partitions on my G5s 10.4 and 10.5 Sorbet). Then go to Startup Disk and check if Sorbet is visible. If so, change the Startup Disk and it should show up in the bootloader and work. I had to do this with some computers.

If you don't have another partition with a bootable OS, put the G5 in target disk mode, connect it to another PowerPC machine and change the Startup disk to Sorbet. Restart the computer (Not the G5. That should be left in Target Disk Mode). You can force shutdown after the boot process. Restart the G5 and it should show up on the bootloader.

FYI-
Here is the procedure I use to install Sorbet-

1. Put the computer (target computer) I want to install it on in Target Disk Mode.
2. Connect the target computer to another PowerPC Mac through FireWire.
3. Use Carbon Copy Cloner (Disk Utility will not work) to restore the image to the drive of the target computer.
4. After the restore is complete, shut down the computer I used to install Sorbet with.
5. Restart the target computer.
Hello ww2_1943:

Thank you for the response. I installed Sorbet on a 2nd physical drive (Samsung SSD) in the MAC. The drive has 2 partitions with Sorbet on one and the other labeled storage. The file system format is Mac OS Extended (Journaled) with a partition size of about 230 GB. The working version of OSX is running on another HDD, which I used to install the Sorbet disk image (using Carbon Copy). Startup does not show the Sorbet drive as a bootable option. I do not have a 2nd MAC.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
I installed Sorbet on a 2nd physical drive (Samsung SSD) in the MAC. […] The file system format is Mac OS Extended (Journaled) with a partition size of about 230 GB. […] Startup does not show the Sorbet drive as a bootable option.
Is the SSD you restored Sorbet onto using the Apple Partition Map scheme? Use Disk Utility to check.

synctek

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2023
Is the SSD you restored Sorbet onto using the Apple Partition Map scheme? Use Disk Utility to check.
Amethyst1,

Interestingly enough, that may be the issue. I recall Carbon Copy returning an error prior to imaging the drive stating that Power PC would not boot unless it is formatted in Apple Partition Map Scheme. Going back into disk manager, I searched for the option to change the scheme but couldn't find it. How do I change the scheme?

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Going back into disk manager, I searched for the option to change the scheme but couldn't find it. How do I change the scheme?
This will erase everything on the SSD! Open Disk Utility, select the SSD, go to the "Partition" tab, click "Options" and select "Apple Partition Map". Then, repartition the SSD and re-restore the Sorbet image.

Reactions: ww2_1943
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.