Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ediflorianus

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2010
Is there a way to use addin support from opera(new version) to run whatsapp? Qemu in theory could run win 7 or 8 with added bios for acpi..but I can't find anything useful... regarding this.

Doq

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2019
The Lab DX
Is there a way to use addin support from opera(new version) to run whatsapp? Qemu in theory could run win 7 or 8 with added bios for acpi..but I can't find anything useful... regarding this.
No shot. Qemu hasn't been compiled for OS X PowerPC since 2.2.0, which is way too old for most Windows installs. Also because you're emulating the OS it'll be much, much slower.

macdude888

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2023
Greetings, all! I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask for this sort of assistance. Nevertheless, I'm having issues booting my Sorbet partition. I followed the instructions found here: Sorbet Leopard Revision 1.5 Installation Guide. Once it failed, I went back and repeated the process a couple of times. Everything installs correctly using CarbonCopy. When I reboot into the Sorbet partition, I get past the white Apple logo to a spinning rainbow wheel in the upper left corner. I can move the cursor around, but now matter how long I let it linger it just spins. Eventually, I have to force-reboot. I'm using a PowerMac G5 (Model: 11,2) dual 2GHz, 8GB, OS 10.5.8. The partition I'm installing Sorbet to is 665GB. I haven't seen anywhere mentioning a maximum partition size, but perhaps that could be the problem? Anyway, any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited:

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
Greetings, all! I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask for this sort of assistance. Nevertheless, I'm having issues booting my Sorbet partition. I followed the instructions found here: Sorbet Leopard Revision 1.5 Installation Guide. Once it failed, I went back and repeated the process a couple of times. Everything installs correctly using CarbonCopy. When I reboot into the Sorbet partition, I get past the white Apple logo to a spinning rainbow wheel in the upper left corner. I can move the cursor around, but now matter how long I let it linger it just spins. Eventually, I have to force-reboot. I'm using a PowerMac G5 (Model: 11,2) dual 2GHz, 8GB, OS 10.5.8. The partition I'm installing Sorbet to is 665GB. I haven't seen anywhere mentioning a maximum partition size, but perhaps that could be the problem? Anyway, any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

Upon boot (after the startup bong), hold down command-V until you see text start to show up, and see what the last entry is in verbose mode.

mortlocli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2020
You can dis-miss the partition size factor..I had sorbet and Shuriken both running on my iBook with a 40gb HD..partitioned half each.

Reactions: macdude888

RealKGB

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2021
@z970 Are there any plans to add support for inbuilt modems? I noticed that my iMac G5's modem only shows up on Tiger at /dev/tty.modem, - in Sorbet Leopard, it doesn't appear at all.

• Love
Reactions: rasvoja

macdude888

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2023
Upon boot (after the startup bong), hold down command-V until you see text start to show up, and see what the last entry is in verbose mode.
Hey @swamprock thanks for the suggestion. I had verbose mode enabled already and didn't notice anything unusual. Do you have any other suggestions? I'm really not sure why I'm having this difficulty. Thanks in advance!

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
Hey @swamprock thanks for the suggestion. I had verbose mode enabled already and didn't notice anything unusual. Do you have any other suggestions? I'm really not sure why I'm having this difficulty. Thanks in advance!

Hmm... not sure. Something is definitely hanging up before you hit the log in window (which does appear on first boot of Sorbet), but I can't tell you what it may be.

ojfd

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2020
I am a bit late to the party and, tbh, unwilling go thru all 50 pages, hence the question.

Are there any fundamental changes in Sorbet Leopard compared to stock Leopard that can not be made with the help of Monolingual / Onyx / command line scripts / manually and so on?

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
At its core, no. That can be done as you mentioned. However Sorbet does include extra fonts, wallpapers, themes, an "app store", and some other nice additions. If you like to tinker and want to have full control of your OS, do as you mentioned and scour this forum for all the other tweaks. If you are new at this kind of stuff, just install Sorbet as all the work is already done for you.

ojfd

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2020
Thanks, wicknix, that's what I wanted to know. I'm a power user, so I'll be fine without those decorations.

Reactions: wicknix

pupu42

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2023
Hello! I'm having what looks like some sort of windowing/compositing/render issue with fresh sorbet leopard install ("vibrating" appearance of windows and contents) on a powermac g5.
When I tried booting in safe mode, the issue seemed to go away. I also have tiger and leopard installs also on separate partitions on this drive that are not exhibiting this, so I'm hoping it's an optimization I can disable on the sorbet OS.. any ideas? Thanks 8)

edit: I don't think it's Sorbet-related. Sorry! Read on if you please~
My Leopard install does show this flicker/vibrate of the windows. System preferences in Leopard/Sorbet has the resolution set to "1920x1080 (Interlaced)". In my Tiger install, it does not show "Interlaced" . So I'm guessing for some reason, I'm getting an interlaced (1080i) signal which my monitor might not support? I've tried 3 different DVI to HDMI cables (GeForce 6600). Onto another rabbit hole!

edit 2: in case this helps - it seems I'm able to achieve a stable 1920x1080p using the preference pane utility SwitchResX. I'm not sure why 10.4.11 uses 1080p but 10.5.8/9 only 1080i.

Last edited:

Edgecrusherr

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2006
I posted this on Macintosh Garden, but couldn't find any insight:

Is anyone one having major issue where the windowsserver and the loginwindow processes crash moments after login, preventing you from opening System Preferences, seeing any menu bar items on the right (clock, etc), shutting down or rebooting, and ultimately corrupting the drive?

I just got a PowerMac G5 (Late 2005) [specs below], and tried both a fresh restore from the Macintosh Garden download link, as well as cloning the Sorbet drive from my PowerMac G4, and even using my direct Xserve G4 Sorbet drive. Both installs get messed up after first boot, and the fresh restore doesn’t even load up (I had to load it up on anther computer to make the first user during setup, then putting it back into the G5 messed it up again).

I’ve been using Sorbet Leopard since the release on many different computers, this if the first time this is happening, and it’s pretty confusing. I’ve tried both traditional hard drives and SSDs, and the G5 is pretty bare bones, so I don’t think there’s anything weird about it. I can easily run Tiger and standard Leopard without any issues.

Specs:
PowerMac G5 (Late 2005)
2.0GHz Dual Core G5
9GB of PC-2 4200U (non-ECC) [All matching pairs, no odd module]
Nvidia GeForce 7800 GT [real Mac edition, not flashed]
SATA II drives I’ve tried: WD VelociRaptor 320GB HDD, OWC 3G 500GB SSD, Toshiba MK5059GSXP, some old 40GB Hitachi
I’ve even tired a SATA III PNY SSD7CS900 (these drives actually work on the G5’s SATA I without any issues, I'm now using 2 of these my boot drive for 10.5.8 and 10.4).

Thanks for any insights!

Certificate of Excellence

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2021
I posted this on Macintosh Garden, but couldn't find any insight:

Is anyone one having major issue where the windowsserver and the loginwindow processes crash moments after login, preventing you from opening System Preferences, seeing any menu bar items on the right (clock, etc), shutting down or rebooting, and ultimately corrupting the drive?

I just got a PowerMac G5 (Late 2005) [specs below], and tried both a fresh restore from the Macintosh Garden download link, as well as cloning the Sorbet drive from my PowerMac G4, and even using my direct Xserve G4 Sorbet drive. Both installs get messed up after first boot, and the fresh restore doesn’t even load up (I had to load it up on anther computer to make the first user during setup, then putting it back into the G5 messed it up again).

I’ve been using Sorbet Leopard since the release on many different computers, this if the first time this is happening, and it’s pretty confusing. I’ve tried both traditional hard drives and SSDs, and the G5 is pretty bare bones, so I don’t think there’s anything weird about it. I can easily run Tiger and standard Leopard without any issues.

Specs:
PowerMac G5 (Late 2005)
2.0GHz Dual Core G5
9GB of PC-2 4200U (non-ECC) [All matching pairs, no odd module]
Nvidia GeForce 7800 GT [real Mac edition, not flashed]
SATA II drives I’ve tried: WD VelociRaptor 320GB HDD, OWC 3G 500GB SSD, Toshiba MK5059GSXP, some old 40GB Hitachi
I’ve even tired a SATA III PNY SSD7CS900 (these drives actually work on the G5’s SATA I without any issues, I'm now using 2 of these my boot drive for 10.5.8 and 10.4).

Thanks for any insights!

I had a similar issue on my a1117 pmg5 dc 2.0ghz. Id install Sorbet and it worked great until I added the HiSi theme. Then at boot, the menu bar would become unresponsive and the machine would ultimately crash. Take away for me = The normal Gui install works great for me. The moment I update to a theme, it borks the install.

Im unsure if you are installing the theme package alongside the OS. If you are, install and don't theme the gui. Without the theme, my Powermac is completely stable with up times in excess of 45 days between cycles. Also similar to your experience, themed installs of sorbet work absolutely fine on other machines I have. Its only the a1117 where I experience this issue. Just for giggles, I will install a themed Sorbet install on my A1047 dual cpu 2ghz Powermac G5 this weekend and see if I get the same instability, because why not. :)

Anyhow, best of luck to you.

---------
Forgot to add the specs of my machine -

Specs:
PowerMac G5 (Late 2005)
2.0GHz Dual Core G5
12GB of PC-2 4200U (non-ECC, All matching pairs, no odd module)
Nvidia GeForce 6600 LE (unflashed)
SATA III 128gb Netac SSD

So a very similarly spec'd machine to yours.

Last edited:
Reactions: AphoticD

ojfd

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2020
I can't answer this, but it is pretty sleek on my G4 PowerBook.

I personally find G4 PowerBooks with trimmed down Leopard slow as snail compared to Intel ones. A torture to use. But that's just me.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
I personally find G4 PowerBooks with trimmed down Leopard slow as snail compared to Intel ones. A torture to use. But that's just me.
But that's because the slowest Intel portable is nearly three times as powerful as the fastest Powerbook.
How about comparing Leopard to Tiger on same hardware?
Personally, I've found Leopard to be really fluid on the later Powerbooks.

jackryan172

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2015
Well I got my Ibooks back after getting them upgraded and repaired. On my 12" Ibook I installed sorbet (1.07 Ghz 1.25 Ram) and sorbet for whatever reason forces it to overheat with in minutes. It runs leopard 10.5.8 fine for extended periods but for what ever reason Sorbet gets it hot fast. Anybody got any suggestions?

Edgecrusherr

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2006
I had a similar issue on my a1117 pmg5 dc 2.0ghz. Id install Sorbet and it worked great until I added the HiSi theme. Then at boot, the menu bar would become unresponsive and the machine would ultimately crash. Take away for me = The normal Gui install works great for me. The moment I update to a theme, it borks the install.

Im unsure if you are installing the theme package alongside the OS. If you are, install and don't theme the gui. Without the theme, my Powermac is completely stable with up times in excess of 45 days between cycles. Also similar to your experience, themed installs of sorbet work absolutely fine on other machines I have. Its only the a1117 where I experience this issue. Just for giggles, I will install a themed Sorbet install on my A1047 dual cpu 2ghz Powermac G5 this weekend and see if I get the same instability, because why not. :)

Anyhow, best of luck to you.

---------
Forgot to add the specs of my machine -

Specs:
PowerMac G5 (Late 2005)
2.0GHz Dual Core G5
12GB of PC-2 4200U (non-ECC, All matching pairs, no odd module)
Nvidia GeForce 6600 LE (unflashed)
SATA III 128gb Netac SSD

So a very similarly spec'd machine to yours.
Thank you, I really appreciate your insight! I'm not using any of those themes though. On both the drive I cloned and the one I pulled from my Nerve, they did have themes via Magnifique, but the fresh copy I made did not. Very interesting though, maybe this is a graphics issue. I have almost the same PowerMac G5 as you too, though I have mixed RAM, and the 7800GT. You've given me a whole new path to explore!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.