Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Looks like Starfield is nearly done and rumors are now swirling that it will be an exclusive.

I queued up the video that discusses this

I have to say this will be huge for MS, and a big loss for Sony. I will also say the purchase of Bethesda by MS, was the final driving force for me to get the Xbox

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
I will say this is a big loss for gamers.

Competition is good for us, and any move to reduce games‘ availability is bad for all of us.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I will say this is a big loss for gamers.

Competition is good for us, and any move to reduce games‘ availability is bad for all of us.
How is having the same game on both systems competition? Seems like this is a win for MS for getting folks to buy their system, as evidenced by @maflynn switching teams.

TopherMan12

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
Atlanta, GA
Looks like Starfield is nearly done and rumors are now swirling that it will be an exclusive.

I have to say this will be huge for MS, and a big loss for Sony. I will also say the purchase of Bethesda by MS, was the final driving force for me to get the Xbox

Rumors have been going back and forth about the state the game is in and/or its exclusivity. I don't think anyone has any real information at this point. I wouldn't be surprised either way.

Personally I'm still going to play Bethesda games on PC so Bethesda's acquisition by MS doesn't really affect me. But even if I were a console only gamer I would stick with PlayStation. I look at the output from Zenimax and Microsoft combined the last few years and frankly, it still doesn't measure up to what Sony has been able to do. Of course, I am biased though as Sony creates the type of games that I like. Bethesda does as well with Fallout, TES, and Dishonored, but of those only TES really gets me excited. Sony gives me the Naughty Dog games, God of War, Ghost of Tsushima, Horizon, Ratchet and Clank, and Spider-Man.

Back on Starfield, I am very hopeful we see more about this game this summer. I love space games and a TES-ish RPG in a space setting with ships you can fly would be astronomical (hehe).

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
How is having the same game on both systems competition? Seems like this is a win for MS for getting folks to buy their system, as evidenced by @maflynn switching teams.

It’s no different then Sony’s exclusives. MS paid billions for Bethesda, so it’s understandable

When first party studios create original IPs for one system, that’s one thing. But when one platform just buys up existing multiplatform IPs, that’s something else. Pure power grab that hurts about half of all gamers out there.

And I realize Starfield is a new IP. But it was meant to be multiplatform before the acquisition. And we don’t yet know about the future of all the other Bethesda franchises.

And don’t even start with „well, Sony does it, too“. That doesn’t make it better. It sucks when ANY platform holder does this. I am not a fanboy.

Reactions: th0masp

Khalanad75

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2015
land of confusion
When first party studios create original IPs for one system, that’s one thing. But when one platform just buys up existing multiplatform IPs, that’s something else. Pure power grab that hurts about half of all gamers out there.

And I realize Starfield is a new IP. But it was meant to be multiplatform before the acquisition. And we don’t yet know about the future of all the other Bethesda franchises.

And don’t even start with „well, Sony does it, too“. That doesn’t make it better. It sucks when ANY platform holder does this. I am not a fanboy.

But it does seem that Playstation players do scream the loudest when it happens to them. Xbox players have been hearing, "well, you should buy a playstation then" for years and years. It about time that Xbox players get to enjoy a little bit of schadenfreude.

And remember, Sony hasn't only been doing it with their own IPs. They have paid to have exclusives in multi-plat games for a long time. From individual characters only being available on their platform, to whole maps and play modes being an exclusive for a year.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
But it does seem that Playstation players do scream the loudest when it happens to them. Xbox players have been hearing, "well, you should buy a playstation then" for years and years. It about time that Xbox players get to enjoy a little bit of schadenfreude.

And remember, Sony hasn't only been doing it with their own IPs. They have paid to have exclusives in multi-plat games for a long time. From individual characters only being available on their platform, to whole maps and play modes being an exclusive for a year.
Clearly the only real solution is to buy both systems.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005

Really, we can’t have this conversation without taking sides in the „console war“? *sigh*

Again, it sucks when either party does this! Gamers as a whole lose when multiplatform IP‘s suddenly become constrained to one system.

Khalanad75

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2015
land of confusion
Really, we can’t have this conversation without taking sides in the „console war“? *sigh*

Again, it sucks when either party does this! Gamers as a whole lose when multiplatform IP‘s suddenly become constrained to one system.

But the "console wars" as you want to put it is part of the conversation. For the longest time, the side that has done it the most has been Sony. And anyone who wasn't a playstation player got to hear, "too bad, so sad".

Xbox players would use the same, "Gamers as a whole lose when multiplatform IP‘s suddenly become constrained to one system." argument, and would get nothing but "sucks to be you, it's not happening to me, perhaps you should buy a PS#" in response.

Now that the shoe is dropping on the other foot, it's sweet schadenfreude.

Here's an example. I don't look at upcoming games lists, or trailers, but do see a lot here. When Ghost of Tsurnima (Sp?) was dropping, I watched the videos posted here and got excited, so I went to see more information on it. And then saw it was PS only when I was looking at reddit threads on it. And there was nothing but, "Haha, sucks to be an xbox fanboi."

Now, I am not an xbox fanboi, but I am a father of two with not a ton of extra cash to throw around, so the thought of buying both systems isn't in my realm of thinking. I've been an xbox gamer since the OG brickhouse Xbox. I'm not going to change now simply because of all my back compat catalog I have. It wouldn't be feasible.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I only see people complaining now because the loss of Starfield, I have to agree with @Khalanad75

I saw the writing on the wall and I opted to switch to Xbox, clearly Microsoft's intent to increase marketshare by increasing their exclusives, is working.

Starfield is not a multiplatform IP, simply because its not something that has been released. I can see your argument if Fallout 4, Skyrim, etc were pulled from Sony's store but MS is fully within their right to make the games from their own studio exclusive.

Microsoft is playing the long game, knowing full well they're leaving millions of dollars on the table by excluding Sony, yet they're doing this to strengthen their own platform.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
But the "console wars" as you want to put it is part of the conversation. For the longest time, the side that has done it the most has been Sony. And anyone who wasn't a playstation player got to hear, "too bad, so sad".

Xbox players would use the same, "Gamers as a whole lose when multiplatform IP‘s suddenly become constrained to one system." argument, and would get nothing but "sucks to be you, it's not happening to me, perhaps you should buy a PS#" in response.

Now that the shoe is dropping on the other foot, it's sweet schadenfreude.

Here's an example. I don't look at upcoming games lists, or trailers, but do see a lot here. When Ghost of Tsurnima (Sp?) was dropping, I watched the videos posted here and got excited, so I went to see more information on it. And then saw it was PS only when I was looking at reddit threads on it. And there was nothing but, "Haha, sucks to be an xbox fanboi."

Now, I am not an xbox fanboi, but I am a father of two with not a ton of extra cash to throw around, so the thought of buying both systems isn't in my realm of thinking. I've been an xbox gamer since the OG brickhouse Xbox. I'm not going to change now simply because of all my back compat catalog I have. It wouldn't be feasible.

You still sound like you are having a conversation with someone who only has a problem when MS buys exclusivity. That’s not me. I am not sure how many more ways I can phrase that I think it sucks when either party does it.

TopherMan12

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
Atlanta, GA

Frankly, that sounds like some generalizations made from quoting fringe Sony fanboys. Not sure what use there is in that. One could make the same generalizations from Xbox fanboy "screams". The fanboy arguments have been going on for decades. They are pointless.

As far as buying exclusives, it is a common practice that both Sony and Microsoft have engaged in. Both companies have a good number of paid third party exclusives in place and coming in the future. This is a highly competitive industry and this isn't going to change.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
The trailer has landed, looks like a must have game for me. I was very disappointed to see a late 2022 release date being announced. I thought they were further along, but with that said, I'm hoping that the typical Bethesda bugs will be a thing of the past.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
With what they showed being labelled as Alpha, I wonder if they will be able to ship "Space Skyrim" on time.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The trailer has landed, looks like a must have game for me. I was very disappointed to see a late 2022 release date being announced. I thought they were further along, but with that said, I'm hoping that the typical Bethesda bugs will be a thing of the past.

Got a year to think about it. Looks good though. :D

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
A lot of chatter and concern about the state of Starfield, in light of how badly Redfall launched

1683118180219.png

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Ignore Saltiest_Gaming. He's a notorious console warrer.
I'm unfamiliar with him, he just popped up first on twitter with that #starfield hashtag. With that said, he's not wrong. The screen shot is just one example of people getting very worried about the state of gaming on the xbox/gamepass. If starfield which was already delayed by a year has the typical issues that so many other Bethesda games have, there will be blood in the water.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
I'm unfamiliar with him, he just popped up first on twitter with that #starfield hashtag.

Hooo baby you're not prepared for the addictive nature of Twitter Console Wars. Making fun of dumb Playstation fanboys is a drug that only the finest most refined cocaine can emulate.

There's an entire genre of Youtube videos that roast these dumb Playstation fanboys. One guy sawed his Spider-Man Edition PS4 Pro in half when Spider-Man Remastered got a PC port. Another threatened to bomb Sony headquarters if they continued making PC ports.

And then of course there's the moment that lives in infamy, when Uncharted Legacy of Thieves was announced for PC (language warning)

With that said, he's not wrong. The screen shot is just one example of people getting very worried about the state of gaming on the xbox/gamepass.

That's concerned trolling. The state of Xbox is bad but these guys tweeting ain't it, they're concerned trolling to console war. Just look through their profiles I've dealt with those two a lot for years.

If starfield which was already delayed by a year has the typical issues that so many other Bethesda games have, there will be blood in the water.

Now this is true, and a lot of people are abrasive after the dumpster fire that was Fallout 76

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
I wouldn't be surprised to see another delay at this stage.

They can't afford it. Xbox has been so starved for content that another delay would cause a massive storm of backlash from angry customers who just want games for the $500 box they paid for, especially when their closest competition has two big upcoming exclusives with Final Fantasy 16 and Insomniac's Spider-Man 2, while Xbox has nothing.

Reactions: Pezimak

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
They can't afford it.
I would counter that they cannot afford to release that game in an unfinished or buggy state. There would be backlash with a delay, no question BUT I think it would be considerably worse if they released Starfield in a poor state.

Reactions: madeirabhoy

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
I would counter that they cannot afford to release that game in an unfinished or buggy state. There would be backlash with a delay, no question BUT I think it would be considerably worse if they released Starfield in a poor state.
Agreed. Games have been in trouble for a while now. This is going to make or break AAA for me. I’m sick of the issues. And the “oh we will fix it with a patch in 6 months”, sorry I’ll move on to something else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.