Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Starfield looks absolutely awesome! As a huge fan of Freelancer, I had hoped for it to be more spaceship-focused and serve as a worthy successor to the beloved game. That being said, from what I've seen, there appears to be a notable emphasis on person-to-person shooting in the combat scenes. However, if the game manages to avoid major bugs and technical issues, I believe it has the potential to become a monumental hit.
Ships can be equipped with weapons. There is ship to ship combat. Like some open world rpg games, starfield likely has flexibility for how to play the game e.g Guns, stealth melee or ships.

The videos has made me feel hyped for the game. Remember that it is not a game that you will have to spend £60-70 for. It will be available on gamepass from day one. Pay £10 for a month’s subscription to play it or play it for free if you are already a gamepass subscriber. There will be no reasons not to give the game a go :D

Reactions: Donfor39

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
It's going to be garbage, I just know it. It's always been the case with Bethesda games since Skyrim or basically any game from any studio with this much hype in the past decade. Everyone always fills in the blanks with a million assumptions about certain game mechanics and what the game will feel but it always ends up falling flat. From what I've seen showcased so far, I'm nervous.

I hope I'm wrong btw. I'm planning on building another gaming PC at some point and Starfield's release is honestly one of the big reasons why other than playing RDR2 again but this time on PC in 4k at (hopefully) above 90fps. I bought a PS4 Pro exclusively to play RDR2. Tried out Spiderman (kinda fun), got RDR2 on release, finished the game, played some more in open world mode, and literally never touched the console again. It's collecting dust on a shelf right now. It was worth every single penny, Rockstar raise the bar every release.

Last edited:
  • Wow

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
It's going to be garbage, I just know it. It's always been the case with Bethesda games since Skyrim or basically any game from any studio with this much hype in the past decade. Everyone always fills in the blanks with a million assumptions about certain game mechanics and what the game will feel but it always ends up falling flat. From what I've seen showcased so far, I'm nervous.

I hope I'm wrong btw. I'm planning on building another gaming PC at some point and Starfield's release is honestly one of the big reasons why other than playing RDR2 again but this time on PC in 4k at (hopefully) above 90fps. I bought a PS4 Pro exclusively to play RDR2. Tried out Spiderman (kinda fun), got RDR2 on release, finished the game, played some more in open world mode, and literally never touched the console again. It's collecting dust on a shelf right now. It was worth every single penny, Rockstar raise the bar every release.
Valid points. I would like to add that gamer‘s expectations are sometimes unreasonable E.g expecting every RPG game to be 9/10. This is unrealistic. My approach is to not expect too much and avoid pre-ordering. That way I’m unlikely to be disappointed.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Since I no longer have an Xbox, AND my RTX 2060 is probably going to buckle under the load, I myself may not see greater then 30FPS.
I considered buying a gaming PC. But after 3 weeks of research I gave up. Affordable cards would only enable me to hit 30-60fps in 1080p. Reasonable framerate at 4k or even 1440p would require me to spend 400-600 just on the GPU. no thanks.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
I considered buying a gaming PC. But after 3 weeks of research I gave up. Affordable cards would only enable me to hit 30-60fps in 1080p. Reasonable framerate at 4k or even 1440p would require me to spend 400-600 just on the GPU. no thanks.
This is why I am ducking out of PC gaming these days, even with my hardware already purchased (13900k and 4090). Not only do I get bad ports still, but the constant shader compilation is a major issue these days. Micro stutters are so frustrating. I absolutely HATED playing FF7 Remake on my PC, its much smoother on my PS5.

At least with PS5 you know what to expect. I feel very very VERY disappointed when I have the top of the line hardware and I still face issues.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
This is why I am ducking out of PC gaming these days, even with my hardware already purchased (13900k and 4090). Not only do I get bad ports still, but the constant shader compilation is a major issue these days. Micro stutters are so frustrating. I absolutely HATED playing FF7 Remake on my PC, its much smoother on my PS5.

At least with PS5 you know what to expect. I feel very very VERY disappointed when I have the top of the line hardware and I still face issues.
Which is an interesting take, at least for this game, since we know the console version is locked at 30 frames, with no plan to do a 60 fps mode. So the PC version is going to be superior (from that perspective) presuming you have the appropriate hardware. In @Macalicious2011 case, they may be better off getting a used GPU (they didn't state what their budget is/was).

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
This is why I am ducking out of PC gaming these days
I'm kind of leaning towards that myself. I'll still play some games on my PC, but am I willing to put $$$ into my desktop for a better GPU, when overall I have a better experience with my PS5? The only downside is Starfield being an exclusive. I'm not sure how enjoyable it will be on a RTX 2060

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
I'm kind of leaning towards that myself. I'll still play some games on my PC, but am I willing to put $$$ into my desktop for a better GPU, when overall I have a better experience with my PS5? The only downside is Starfield being an exclusive. I'm not sure how enjoyable it will be on a RTX 2060

Isn't the RTX 2060 in the recommended specs? Your system sounds more than capable of running Starfield, assuming you got an SSD.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Isn't the RTX 2060 in the recommended specs? Your system sounds more than capable of running Starfield, assuming you got an SSD.
Well running it and running it well are two different things. Some games on PC have atrocious frame pacing. FF7 Remake is one of those. Played better on my base PS4 as it didn’t have crazy micro stutters.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I have to wait and see how the game actually plays. My RTX 2060 handles Cyberpunk ok, but until the game is released I really don't know if it will run it comfortably.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Well running it and running it well are two different things. Some games on PC have atrocious frame pacing. FF7 Remake is one of those. Played better on my base PS4 as it didn’t have crazy micro stutters.
A sad reality. Hardware is only as good as the software it runs. It doesn’t how powerful your machine is, if a game is unfinished and poorly optimised on release day, then it will not do your flagship hardware justice.

When I researched gaming PCs a few months ago I was also spooked by their size. Last time I owned one it was a Midi tower. Today’s cases are significantly greater if you want space for big GPUs and run a PC quietly. If you don’t play the PC enough you will have a very large box in your office, bedroom or living room. The Series X isn’t pretty but it’s as conspicuous as a black subwoofer.

However, I’m still keen on a PC for games that have big mod communities. Do you think Starfield will be moddable?

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
A sad reality. Hardware is only as good as the software it runs. It doesn’t how powerful your machine is, if a game is unfinished and poorly optimised on release day, then it will not do your flagship hardware justice.

When I researched gaming PCs a few months ago I was also spooked by their size. Last time I owned one it was a Midi tower. Today’s cases are significantly greater if you want space for big GPUs and run a PC quietly. If you don’t play the PC enough you will have a very large box in your office, bedroom or living room. The Series X isn’t pretty but it’s as conspicuous as a black subwoofer.

However, I’m still keen on a PC for games that have big mod communities. Do you think Starfield will be moddable?
The PC version should be moddable. Not sure about the Xbox version though.

msmyrtle

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2023
A Bugthesda game at sub 30 frame rates, no thanks.
The bugs are a given, I don't think anyone expects a bug-free experience when it comes to sprawling RPGs meant to house hundreds of hours of playtime (I'm not saying Bethesda should get a free pass for the bugs, but that's the reality...). I'm more worried about them releasing the same game yet again, only in "space"; while the media rushes to brand that as "groundbreaking" or "exciting"...
It's none of those things, and Todd Howard should really try stepping out of his comfort zone once in 40 years...

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
The bugs are a given, I don't think anyone expects a bug-free experience when it comes to sprawling RPGs meant to house hundreds of hours of playtime (I'm not saying Bethesda should get a free pass for the bugs, but that's the reality...). I'm more worried about them releasing the same game yet again, only in "space"; while the media rushes to brand that as "groundbreaking" or "exciting"...
It's none of those things, and Todd Howard should really try stepping out of his comfort zone once in 40 years...
And people act as if this is the best thing since sliced bread. It will obviously have some enhancements, but No Mans Sky is quite similar. I don’t understand the “in order to achieve this kind of game it must be 30fps”.

salamanderjuice

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2020
And people act as if this is the best thing since sliced bread. It will obviously have some enhancements, but No Mans Sky is quite similar. I don’t understand the “in order to achieve this kind of game it must be 30fps”.
No Man's Sky isn't tracking the state of every sandwich in the game. /s

It's supposedly CPU heavy making 60FPS not an option. PC specs suggest that too.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
No Man's Sky isn't tracking the state of every sandwich in the game. /s

It's supposedly CPU heavy making 60FPS not an option. PC specs suggest that too.
I think 60fps should be a minimum. They would need to ease up on the processing for consoles IMO instead of just saying 30fps deal with it.

msmyrtle

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2023
Right, it's sound just like a cheap marketing stunt, nothing more... It seems that Baldur's Gate 3 is the only upcoming example of an AAA game that truly tries its darndest to achieve a legendary status. Larian are real nutjobs, and I mean that as a compliment of the highest order. I'm grateful that BioWare (finally) passed the baton there

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I think 60fps should be a minimum. They would need to ease up on the processing for consoles IMO instead of just saying 30fps deal with it.
I do wonder why they didn't trade resolution for framerate, then upscale...

salamanderjuice

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2020
I'd rather they push boundaries in gameplay than purposefully gut things like the physics for the sake of slightly better frame rate. So long as it's not constantly dropping frames its not a big deal. If you want 60fps the PC version is there. It's not like its a twitch shooter or platformer that requires 60 fps.
I do wonder why they didn't trade resolution for framerate, then upscale...
Because it's CPU heavy supposedly. The bottleneck isn't the GPU and lowering the resolution isn't going to free up CPU resources doing stuff like physics simulation. So they may as well run a 30fps 4k.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I'd rather they push boundaries in gameplay than purposefully gut things like the physics for the sake of slightly better frame rate. So long as it's not constantly dropping frames its not a big deal. If you want 60fps the PC version is there. It's not like its a twitch shooter or platformer that requires 60 fps.

Because it's CPU heavy supposedly. The bottleneck isn't the GPU and lowering the resolution isn't going to free up CPU resources doing stuff like physics simulation. So they may as well run a 30fps 4k.
I'm not sure I buy that it is CPU heavy due to the Steam minimum requirements being so minimum (for the CPU, the GPU requirements are fairly hefty though).

But I am excited to see if the minimum specs (for PC) are a lie.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
MS should have released a small sandbox experience of Starfield 2 or 3 years ago. It would have been a purposeful introduction to the IP. At launch this September Starfields biggest challenges will be to establish itself as an IP and to prove that the game isn’t too big for its own good.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
It’s partly a shooter. It is going to need 60fps bare minimum to play well.

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
Sigh...Bethesda drives me nuts, but the Elder Scrolls and Fallout series scratch all the right itches for a more casual gamer like me. I'm never in any hurry so I'll let others beta test and spend $70 on Starfield, but I'm pretty excited to see what they've done once I decide to take the plunge.

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
i see a lot of reviews are in, and can be split into two, tons and tons of reviews from small sites saying wonderful, and reviews from bigger sites saying ok..but...

IG 7/10

PC Gamer 75%

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.