Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Starfield is officially my GOTY (Sorry Zelda.)

This world is clicking so hard. The Labor Day Weekend I hardly got any sleep or hardly ate because I was just playing for so long. The only other game that ever caused me to do that was Skyrim.
That's very encouraging to hear! To be honest reviews above 7/10 was a bit of surprise as overhyped games have odds stacked against them. I recently got a 12 month game pass code from BT Broadband. I will activate once I have finished Hogwarts and it's properly autumn. Then I can immerse myself in Starfield and play it when the living room is a bit dimmer!

Reactions: madeirabhoy

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
That's very encouraging to hear! To be honest reviews above 7/10 was a bit of surprise as overhyped games have odds stacked against them. I recently got a 12 month game pass code from BT Broadband. I will activate once I have finished Hogwarts and it's properly autumn. Then I can immerse myself in Starfield and play it when the living room is a bit dimmer!

I posted this in the Mac & PC games version of the thread, but I discovered something recently in Starfield

The "hours without accidents" timer on Mars, actually works

img_9763-gif.2255894

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
Played a bit of this, had a laugh creating my character 🤣 but it’s a bit bland, however I haven’t had much chance to sit down and play it, the only time I tried since I fell asleep 😂 as it was late at night. Been playing my Switch as it’s pick up and play. But I heard it takes 6 hours or so of play for the game to pick up and get not its stride. So I have a few hours yet to get there. Not giving up on it. It’s just a large game that needs dedicated sessions.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Played a bit of this, had a laugh creating my character 🤣 but it’s a bit bland, however I haven’t had much chance to sit down and play it, the only time I tried since I fell asleep 😂 as it was late at night. Been playing my Switch as it’s pick up and play. But I heard it takes 6 hours or so of play for the game to pick up and get not its stride. So I have a few hours yet to get there. Not giving up on it. It’s just a large game that needs dedicated sessions.
Play a new franchise is a big time commitment. Some games genuinely take 4-12 hours to properly get into and then grind to completion at 60-150 hours.

I’ll wait to for a path before playing Starfield as there’s bound to be bugs and gameplay niggles that weren’t noticed during beta and need addressing.

Reactions: Pezimak

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I’ll wait to for a path before playing Starfield as there’s bound to be bugs and gameplay niggles that weren’t noticed during beta and need addressing.
The game is very stable, the year delay was well worth it.

Played a bit of this, had a laugh creating my character 🤣 but it’s a bit bland
I found the beginning of the game to be paced a little slow, but right after character creation it starts picking up. I'm really enjoying the experience.

I found the actual character creation phase to be a bit odd. One one hand, there's a lot of choices, but yet on the other hand it is bland.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
The game is very stable, the year delay was well worth it.

I found the beginning of the game to be paced a little slow, but right after character creation it starts picking up. I'm really enjoying the experience.

I found the actual character creation phase to be a bit odd. One one hand, there's a lot of choices, but yet on the other hand it is bland.

It's a slow starter, but so was Skyrim. I'm super impressed so far - it feels stable with no silly bugs that I've seen (yet). I can easily see this being 500 hours :D I'm probably 20 hours in and have been exploring - not even onto the second main mission yet (The Old Neighbourhood). Though I should probably be getting to that pretty soon.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
It's a slow starter, but so was Skyrim. I'm super impressed so far - it feels stable with no silly bugs that I've seen (yet). I can easily see this being 500 hours :D I'm probably 20 hours in and have been exploring - not even onto the second main mission yet (The Old Neighbourhood). Though I should probably be getting to that pretty soon.
You are patient. I love openworld games and can play a new game obsessively. However, that excitement eventually falls off a cliff. Therefore, I now try to focus on main quests and not do too many side quests.

If I reach 90% completion of the main quest and feel like I’ve experienced enough of the game, I sell it which eliminates completion anxiety and frees up money for the next game. 😆

Reactions: Howard2k

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
You are patient. I love openworld games and can play a new game obsessively. However, that excitement eventually falls off a cliff. Therefore, I now try to focus on main quests and not do too many side quests.

If I reach 90% completion of the main quest and feel like I’ve experienced enough of the game, I sell it which eliminates completion anxiety and frees up money for the next game. 😆

We have very different purchasing strategies. Not knocking yours - I'm glad it works for you. I am digital only so re-sale is not an option, but I also don't typically buy games at release either. I have the base PS+ tier and Game Pass Ultimate subscriptions which gives me plenty of content, some of which is good. :D Like Starfield, incredibly. When big name games come out I typically wait, but Starfield would have been day one for sure. Like GTA6, Spider-Man 2, some games it's worth taking a gamble on. Sometimes you get a CP2077 (which turned out to be fantastic, eventually) and sometimes you get a Gollum (I didn't play it but heard it was atrocious). RDR2 and Witcher 3 I played at least a year after release and avoided spoilers as much as I could, it takes patience but at least the bugs are reduced and the game is generally more balanced.

I have considered going back to physical media for the next iteration but then I don't know for how much longer they'll be producing it anyway.

Did you play Skyrim? I must have had 500+ hours into that. I can see Starfield turning out the same, based on first impressions. But then there seems to be better content overall these days. I played through Skyrim several times. There is more competition in the open world space so less incentive to play the same game for a second or third alternate play through. Tbat's a good problem to have though.

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
Top Tier open-world games that will stay with me forever:

• Farcry 1 (built my first PC to play this game as a teen)
  • Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
  • Fallout 3
  • Fallout New Vegas
  • The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  • Starfield
It's a real pain having to hold down a full-time job when I only want to explore the Galaxy on my Xbox right now!

Reactions: Macalicious2011

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
We have very different purchasing strategies. Not knocking yours - I'm glad it works for you. I am digital only so re-sale is not an option, but I also don't typically buy games at release either. I have the base PS+ tier and Game Pass Ultimate subscriptions which gives me plenty of content, some of which is good. :D Like Starfield, incredibly. When big name games come out I typically wait, but Starfield would have been day one for sure. Like GTA6, Spider-Man 2, some games it's worth taking a gamble on. Sometimes you get a CP2077 (which turned out to be fantastic, eventually) and sometimes you get a Gollum (I didn't play it but heard it was atrocious). RDR2 and Witcher 3 I played at least a year after release and avoided spoilers as much as I could, it takes patience but at least the bugs are reduced and the game is generally more balanced.

I have considered going back to physical media for the next iteration but then I don't know for how much longer they'll be producing it anyway.

Did you play Skyrim? I must have had 500+ hours into that. I can see Starfield turning out the same, based on first impressions. But then there seems to be better content overall these days. I played through Skyrim several times. There is more competition in the open world space so less incentive to play the same game for a second or third alternate play through. Tbat's a good problem to have though.
I Agrér. Som games Arne worth platina from day one - especially if you want to play competitively online or avoid spoilers on euro gamer, YouTube, tiktok etc. GT6 will likely be purchased digitally like FS as it a “core” game that I will likely play for 5-10 years.

I have not played Sky Rim but am aware that it’s critically acclaimed. Should I play it or Starfield first? How are you finding combat and weapon balance? Too easy or just right? Do you have to grind a lot for resources?

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
I Agrér. Som games Arne worth platina from day one - especially if you want to play competitively online or avoid spoilers on euro gamer, YouTube, tiktok etc. GT6 will likely be purchased digitally like FS as it a “core” game that I will likely play for 5-10 years.

I have not played Sky Rim but am aware that it’s critically acclaimed. Should I play it or Starfield first? How are you finding combat and weapon balance? Too easy or just right? Do you have to grind a lot for resources?
Tough call. Skyrim looks a little dated but has a huge amount of mods and the adventure element is fantastic - get the “Special Edition". Swords and magic over lasers and spaceships - play both, doesn't really matter which order.

Starfield is less of a grind as the planets and ships are full of loot. So much loot. You can make money selling goods or working jobs, you can find/buy/mine resources. I haven't even started building ships or outposts yet because I'm a little overwhelmed with how much content I'm already facing!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
So I just did the Mantis quest, where you have an oppotunity to get a new ship and nice armor early on in the game. I was a level 4 (maybe 5) when I started this, so it is a very early game bonus

The videos that I stumbled on (and are in the starfield hints thread) mentioned bring a crap ton of ammo, he wasn't blowing smoke. I used up all of my Maelstrom ammo. I chewed a lot into the grendal ammo as well. The good news is you find some really nice weapons along the way to getting the ship.

I recommend highly if you're at the point of the main quest of going to the Sol system, hop over to the hints thread and view the video.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I don't know if its a bug, but I ran into an odd issue. So the Razorleaf (the ship you get for the mantis quest), has a lot of weapon display cases. I plopped a lot of the weapons I picked up there to hold, my plan was to sell most. anyways I go to new Atlantis and the weapons are gone :oops: They're not in the ship's inventory, not in my inventory , not in any of the crew's inventory.

I don't know if I did anything wrong or if its a bug, but I had to go back further to a save then I wanted too but all is good. Since I'm planning on selling most of the weapons, I'll be over encumbered for the time being, and I didn't see any issues in storing the weapons I want to keep in the ships cargo (just not the display case)

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
My ship cargo is full, somehow I have 490kg of stuff but only 420kg of capacity, so I need to dump everything to my room in the lodge (I really should build an outpost but I dunno where I want one yet).

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
I really tried to Love this game, but I'm going to be honest, it's not weird enough. I enjoy the game, and I'm having fun, but to me it's like an 8/10.

I was hoping it was going to get weirder after the events of the Temple Eta, but nope. I think it's a little too grounded. It feels like Bethesda trying to do Mass Effect but not having the esoteric elements.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
My ship cargo is full, somehow I have 490kg
Same, though I landed at new atlantis, with the stated goal of selling the stuff I don't think I need. Excess weapons and most stuff in the misc category. I was in full fallout mode when I started this game and picked up everything, only to find out its not really needed.

I'm unsure about resources, like ores and what not. I know I have to use them for crafting, but when does that become a thing. I have a lot of cargo space used up with that stuff as well.

I was hoping it was going to get weirder
In all honesty, if the game got weird, it probably wouldn't appeal to many players. I'm still early on in the game, I took a diversion to get a new ship, but once I'm done cleaning up my inventory, I'll be heading back to the sol system

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
Same, though I landed at new atlantis, with the stated goal of selling the stuff I don't think I need. Excess weapons and most stuff in the misc category. I was in full fallout mode when I started this game and picked up everything, only to find out its not really needed.

I'm unsure about resources, like ores and what not. I know I have to use them for crafting, but when does that become a thing. I have a lot of cargo space used up with that stuff as well.

In all honesty, if the game got weird, it probably wouldn't appeal to many players. I'm still early on in the game, I took a diversion to get a new ship, but once I'm done cleaning up my inventory, I'll be heading back to the sol system

I'll be honest, I totally get that. It just feels off when compared to stuff like Fallout and TES, and I think my issues with the game are wholly mine, not the game's.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016

In the basement of The Lodge you will find all the crafting benches. You should be able to start crafting and researching right away.

One mechanic I don't understand fully is called "Sudden Development" IIRC where you are researching stuff and it overflows resources. So you need 3 lead, 3 aluminium and 3 iron to research something. Once you put in the 3 lead it then someone overlooks your research and provides 1 iron, for example. I haven't played around with it enough yet, but enough to know that partial research seems worthwhile even if you don't have all the components because of this feature. There is also a lab garment that increases the odds of this that seems to be easy to find.

I did the same - picked up loads of stuff - then realized that the misc seems to be cosmetic and really it's the resources that really seems to matter.

But still trying to get to grips with it.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
One mechanic I don't understand fully is called "Sudden Development" IIRC where you are researching stuff and it overflows resources. So you need 3 lead, 3 aluminium and 3 iron to research something. Once you put in the 3 lead it then someone overlooks your research and provides 1 iron, for example. I haven't played around with it enough yet, but enough to know that partial research seems worthwhile even if you don't have all the components because of this feature. There is also a lab garment that increases the odds of this that seems to be easy to find.

Overflow is a random chance where when you add components to a research project it "overflows" into another component, reducing the amount of components you need to complete that research. This is useful if you don't have many resources for research or can complete research faster and have materials leftover.

And even if you don't have all the resources yet, you can still put them into the research and it banks those components in, which will free up inventory space.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.