Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rafagon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 19, 2011
Miami, FL

AlixSPQR

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2020
Sweden
Greetings from Miami, FL.

If I turn on Stolen Device Protection, are these restrictions it enforces, such as "biometrics to start the process of changing sensitive data, then wait an hour, then biometrics again" going to apply to me as well when I am legitimately changing my own Apple ID password, or only to a device in Lost Mode?

It is not entirely uncommon for me to forget my own Apple ID password, so I don't want to subject myself to the one-hour waiting period.
It would surprise if it only applies to a device in Lost Mode, since not all people will discover that their device is stolen or missing within that time.

P_Watt

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2018
It would surprise if it only applies to a device in Lost Mode, since not all people will discover that their device is stolen or missing within that time.
It applies to all iphones where protection has been turned on by you, not just phones marked as lost.
One of my phones does not recognize my home and I get the 1 hour delay with biometrics required for turning off the protection.
The one that recognizes home lets me use passcode at home.

rmstern

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2014
Anyone know if Apple Stores are considered a recognized location? The reason I'm asking is, Apple always makes me turn off my location service to prove who I am before they accept my iPhone for service.

P_Watt

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2018
Anyone know if Apple Stores are considered a recognized location? The reason I'm asking is, Apple always makes me turn off my location service to prove who I am before they accept my iPhone for service.
As far as anyone knows it uses Significant Locations in Location Services so if you go to Apple Store every day for 8 hours it might well count it as Familiar .
Join me in asking for the familiar places to be chosen by the owner instead.
Feedback Assistant now or next week

P_Watt

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2018
They will ask you to turn off Find My (aka activation lock) not just location services

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
They will ask you to turn off Find My (aka activation lock) not just location services

That's the whole point: you cannot turn off Find My if you're not at a familiar location. So how am I supposed to bring my iPhone in for service if I forget to disable Find My while I'm still at home? Also, it would leave the iPhone vulnerable to stealing on the trip between home and the Apple Store. It doesn't make any sense. There must be some better solution to this, as they are essentially making security worse for anyone having to get the iPhone repaired. Unless we are still missing something.

P_Watt

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2018
That's the whole point: you cannot turn off Find My if you're not at a familiar location. So how am I supposed to bring my iPhone in for service if I forget to disable Find My while I'm still at home? Also, it would leave the iPhone vulnerable to stealing on the trip between home and the Apple Store. It doesn't make any sense. There must be some better solution to this, as they are essentially making security worse for anyone having to get the iPhone repaired. Unless we are still missing something.
Turn off stolen device protection at home before setting out to App Store
If you turn on Stage 2 of my little monograph using Screen Time you are pretty well protected anyway
Or wait an hour at the store

Reactions: ManuCH

kitKAC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2022
Also, it would leave the iPhone vulnerable to stealing on the trip between home and the Apple Store.

Huh? Is Find My some sort of forcefield stopping people from robbing you? Turn off Find My at home, wipe the device then take it in.

Reactions: P_Watt

dcp10

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
You absolutely can turn off Find My while at an Apple Store (or anywhere else) you just have to successfully unlock using biometrics twice with a 1 hr delay in between. I can see that 1 hour delay being problematic at the stores though.

Being in a familiar location eliminates the 2nd biometric check.

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
You absolutely can turn off Find My while at an Apple Store (or anywhere else) you just have to successfully unlock using biometrics twice with a 1 hr delay in between. I can see that 1 hour delay being problematic at the stores though.

Being in a familiar location eliminates the 2nd biometric check.

That's what I mean with it not being possible. Waiting 1 hour at the store is definitely not a solution. So it will just be about remembering to turn off Stolen Device Protection before leaving home (and leaving Find My on).

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
Huh? Is Find My some sort of forcefield stopping people from robbing you? Turn off Find My at home, wipe the device then take it in.

It's not a forcefield. But with Find My on, I can track my stolen phone, and the thief cannot do anything with it. It's a doorstop. If they steal an iPhone with Find My off, they can just wipe it and use it freely.

Why would I wipe the device to take it in? If it's just about replacing the screen or the battery, there's no need to wipe anything. The procedure that was in place so far was perfectly good: go to the store, disable Find My and hand over the phone. Done.

So I guess what changes is just that you need to remember to turn off Stolen Device Protection before leaving home to go to the store.

Reactions: rmstern

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
That's what I mean with it not being possible. Waiting 1 hour at the store is definitely not a solution. So it will just be about remembering to turn off Stolen Device Protection before leaving home (and leaving Find My on).
Apples guidance may have been updated to ask you to turn off the protection ahead of your appointment at the Genius Bar.

Reactions: ManuCH

P_Watt

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2018
Apples guidance may have been updated to ask you to turn off the protection ahead of your appointment at the Genius Bar.
Whenever they publish it, usually some days late.
They are so paranoid about beta info getting out they leave it til the last minute, then some.

Reactions: g-7 and ManuCH

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
Whenever they publish it, usually some days late.
They are so paranoid about beta info getting out they leave it til the last minute, then some.
Yes they aren’t going to release guidance until after the software has been released to the general public.

P_Watt

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2018
Yes they aren’t going to release guidance until after the software has been released to the general public.
I have asked Apple several times to release the KBs to beta testers in a beta site otherwise we are working in the dark

P_Watt

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2018
I have asked Apple several times to release the KBs to beta testers in a beta site otherwise we are working in the dark
I’ve just put another suggestion into the FBA for this. Not holding my breath.

P_Watt

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2018
Why would I wipe the device to take it in? If it's just about replacing the screen or the battery, there's no need to wipe anything.
Because if they take off the screen and it needs more work than they can do they can’t turn it off with no screen

P_Watt

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2018
. The procedure that was in place so far was perfectly good: go to the store, disable Find My and hand over the phone. Done.
Bear in mind the chances of getting drunk, and handing over your phone plus password on the way to the store are pretty small.
And I did suggest the stage 2 in my user tip which is to disallow account and passcode changes in Screen Time and lock with a different code, it is just as safe as the new feature apart from access to keychain passwords.

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
Recognized location appears to be broken with Stolen Device Protection as I enabled it after upgrading to 17.3 at home, but couldn’t turn it off without a delay.

I have Home automations that run when I’m home at that works. I also have significant locations enabled.

Reactions: Ready-for-Apple

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I don't imagine they'll be too many thieves willing to kidnap you for an hour in order to gain access to your accounts.

In a more rare occurrence where you are mugged by a person with a weapon who also demands your Apple ID (and your passcode) there will then be no way for the thief to change your Apple ID even with the passcode and Apple ID password because the iPhone will still require a face scan after the waiting period correct? Would they be able to do this from a computer? I'm just wondering if a victim would ever be in the position of having to race home to quickly change their password and passcode before the waiting period is over.

P_Watt

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2018
Recognized location appears to be broken with Stolen Device Protection as I enabled it after upgrading to 17.3 at home, but couldn’t turn it off without a delay.

I have Home automations that run when I’m home at that works. I also have significant locations enabled.
You are not alone. one of my phones in beta took 3 weeks to learn my home, one activated immediately.
Ask Apple to allow us to choose our iwn familiar locations

https://apple.com/feedback

Deifie

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2016
And I did suggest the stage 2 in my user tip which is to disallow account and passcode changes in Screen Time and lock with a different code, it is just as safe as the new feature apart from access to keychain passwords.
Are you aware that with the device password you can reset the screen time password? So there is only an extra step for a thief to do its thing, it is not the same security as with the new stolen device protection...

Reactions: chrfr
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.