Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fooyork

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2009
I had some issues with SDP where it wouldn’t deactivate despite waiting for 60 mins.

I turned it on Tuesday night, tested it by entering the wrong passcode on purpose. It activated the 60 minutes delay. But, after the countdown it just starts again, over and over.

I didn’t leave my location.

I managed to turn it off eventually. Very odd behaviour though.

Here are the details:

1. I was at home and it still made me wait 1 hour.
Does that mean it doesn’t see my home as a trusted location?

2. I turned the feature on Tuesday night and after 60 mins I still couldn’t turn it off. Went to sleep.

3. When I got up at around 8:45am. The 60 min countdown started again. When I checked again after 10:30am the delay kicked off again for another 60min.

4. At 11:45am I unlocked the phone and it kicked off another 60min delay.

5. This time I actually left the phone unlocked and monitored it. Leaving the countdown on screen. When the delay ended, I made sure I didn’t lock the phone and was able to turn the feature off.

Until I understand why this happened – I’m leaving the feature off!

I like the idea of the feature but after this experience, not really trusting it.
Hi there! Did you get to the bottom of this? As my partner is having the exact same issue... and as his work use a profile he has lost all access to his work emails etc!

Thanks!

P_Watt

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2018
Hi there! Did you get to the bottom of this? As my partner is having the exact same issue... and as his work use a profile he has lost all access to his work emails etc!

Thanks!
Same here, you cannot start the countdown then get back to it later in the day, in my beta testing experience you need to set a 1 hour timer and hit the settings within minutes of the countdown ending.

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
For those that are having issues with the countdown restarting... Are you tapping the notification that pops up at the end of the countdown, and then disabling it from there; or are you going all the way through Settings again yourself? If the latter, I wonder if that could be part of the problem.

FWIW, I missed my notification and didn't see it until 55 minutes later. So nearly two hours has passed, yet I was still able to tap it and turn off SDP. (I cleared out all my significant locations so I'd be forced to do the countdown.)

anonymousmoose

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2020
Ah. That explains how I managed to deactivate it after the 4th or 5th try. Apple needs to perfect this feature. It seems like a hasty release, needed more testing and context around how it works
So my second iphone, which never leaves the house, is behaving the same way.

I turn on SDP and even if I authenticate via FaceID without error. I still get the 60 minute delay if I try to disable it again.

P_Watt

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2018
So my second iphone, which never leaves the house, is behaving the same way.

I turn on SDP and even if I authenticate via FaceID without error. I still get the 60 minute delay if I try to disable it again.
This is to be expected and a big worry for housebound people- except housebound people probably will not get mugged for their phone in a bar when drunk and may not want SDP.
If I was housebound with carers coming in and out I might use the new 17.4 option and force SDP on with biometrics as “Always” - like your “housebound” phone

crazyeddi

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2024
Sorry to resurrect a slightly dated thread (especially as my first post). I stumbled across this after having the same problem with my iPhone not recognizing my home, and I've had SDP employed since the first few days after it was rolled out. I've tried all of the steps I could find in other sites and am awaiting the hour countdown (at home).

I was going through some other steps to protect the info on my phone in the event that someone grabs it and has access to it (such as from shoulder surfing). My biggest concerns are (1) my password manager app on my phone, and (2) my son who frequents bars more than me - and the spate of druggings and robberies in which faceID can be used to unlock a phone.

timeislove

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2020
Sorry to resurrect a slightly dated thread (especially as my first post). I stumbled across this after having the same problem with my iPhone not recognizing my home, and I've had SDP employed since the first few days after it was rolled out. I've tried all of the steps I could find in other sites and am awaiting the hour countdown (at home).

I was going through some other steps to protect the info on my phone in the event that someone grabs it and has access to it (such as from shoulder surfing). My biggest concerns are (1) my password manager app on my phone, and (2) my son who frequents bars more than me - and the spate of druggings and robberies in which faceID can be used to unlock a phone.

My biggest issue was iPhone sometime insisting to prompt for passcode, the exact reason is yet to know, maybe after a few attempt of faceid checking.

Same as you did I enabled SDP right after it released. It looks like in unfamiliar locations iPhone would not go into an infinite loop of asking passcode, instead i could bypass passcode prompt and then the iPhone would ask for faceid. That s a nice thing. It is unclear if the aforesaid is the real mechanism as it is not documented in the SDP release notes.

The pitfall is, the working of SDP is heavily hinged on significant locations. I went to travel to a region in which Apple s location service (find my) is not supported. While I was travelling there, the iPhone would prompt for passcode infinitely.

Last edited:
Reactions: crazyeddi
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.