Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chris4565

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 22, 2018
I was just browsing Instagram and suddenly, an iOS pop-up showed up in the middle of my screen, telling me that I have to enter my iCloud password in order to continue. I found this really strange. Two notes:

1.) I could even still scroll through Instagram even though the pop-up was in the front.
2.) I clicked on "Cancel", the pop-up disappeared, and I could still normally access my iCloud settings in the Settings app.

Does anyone know what might have been the reason for this? Thanks a lot in advance! 🙏

Reactions: ZigzagRacer

chris4565

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 22, 2018
I just had this issue again. I was just scrolling through Instagram, and then a pop-up came up saying the following (translated from German):

Sign in with Apple-ID
Enter the password for your Apple-ID "[my email]".

Anyone else also having this issue?

Edit: Here's a screenshot:

dnb91hc09owa1.png

Last edited:

chris4565

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 22, 2018
Exactly. However, it’s a normal system pop-up, so I’m really confused why this happens.

I found the following 2 posts on Reddit which seem to be about a similar issue:
This post (although the pop-up is different there) and this post.

ZigzagRacer

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2023
Nope, never found out the reason unfortunately. But I'm glad that I'm at least not the only one having this issue 😅
Yeah I’ve had this problem for a couple months. I’ve been working with Apple support but no solution yet. I am not able to scroll when the pop up is active though.

Last edited:
Reactions: chris4565

chris4565

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 22, 2018
Yeah I’ve had this problem for a couple months. I’ve been working with Apple support but no solution yet. I am not able to scroll when the pop up is active though.
I hope you/we can find a solution 👍 By the way, I also cannot scroll when the popup is active.

ZigzagRacer

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2023
I hope you/we can find a solution 👍 By the way, I also cannot scroll when the popup is active.
How long has this been happening for you? For me it’s been about two months, but yeah I’m eager to hear any solutions for this issue. It’s not a super big deal but it is quite annoying.

chris4565

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 22, 2018
How long has this been happening for you? For me it’s been about two months, but yeah I’m eager to hear any solutions for this issue. It’s not a super big deal but it is quite annoying.
It started in April and so far, it's been happening about once a month.

Lee_Bo

Cancelled
Mar 26, 2017
Do any of you have 2FA set up? I do and use Instagram constantly (business account) and have never had this happen.

If you do have 2FA set up, then this is definitely suspicious to me.

While my phone occasionally asked for my PIN even though I have Face ID set up, I’ve never been asked for my Apple ID password “just because”.

ZigzagRacer

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2023
Do any of you have 2FA set up? I do and use Instagram constantly (business account) and have never had this happen.

If you do have 2FA set up, then this is definitely suspicious to me.

While my phone occasionally asked for my PIN even though I have Face ID set up, I’ve never been asked for my Apple ID password “just because”.
Yes I have 2FA

ZigzagRacer

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2023
Just to be sure: You mean the purchase history inside of the Instagram app, right?
No, inside of the settings on the App Store. It happens on any app for me, not just Instagram. Apple support told me that it might be a server issue, but they have to wait for the engineers to check out the issue.

Last edited:

chris4565

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 22, 2018
No, inside of the settings on the App Store. It happens on any app for me, not just Instagram. Apple support told me that it might be a server issue, but they have to wait for the engineers to check out the issue.
Interesting. I only encountered it in Instagram so far. But it might also have been a coincidence since most of the time I'm on my phone, I use Instagram, haha.

iPhoneUser#

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2023
Hi there. Isn't Instagram listed in iCloud? For me on my iPhone 7 it is. Haven't installed it yet on my new phone so not sure how that works

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
My first thought was an app update needing authentication. Or, similarly, perhaps an in-app purchase attempting to restore.

Have (either of) you logged out of the App Store, signed back in, and used your device long enough to assume the problem is corrected?

iPhoneUser#

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2023
With iOS 16.5.1. on the new phone it's now not listed in iCloud. Curious behavior. However it/IG did sync from my old phone to my new one..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.