Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MarkX

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2015
Fochabers, Scotland
Agreed. Much prefer Face ID, would be good if Samsung could improve their facial recognition

This is the main reason I prefer iPhone. Face id is so simple to use and for app authentication it's seemless, I absolutely hate in screen fingerprint scanners and for that reason my android phone is always a second phone to get my fix.

The Pixel 4 and and Huawei Mate 20 were on par to iphone for biometrics but for various reasons Google moved away from the 3d Face biometrics and Huawei, well everyone knows the score there.

keithop

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
This is the main reason I prefer iPhone. Face id is so simple to use and for app authentication it's seemless, I absolutely hate in screen fingerprint scanners and for that reason my android phone is always a second phone to get my fix.

yep. Before faceID I didnt even bother locking my iphone (shock) it was too inconvenient. FaceID is SO good that it gets out of my way and is so fast that I don't really notice it. By the time I've picked the phone up, it's unlocked.

the Pixel8Pro goes a long way towards it, certainly MUCH better than the S24u but still not quite there.

It may sound a bit OTT but it's a function I use multiple times a day and any niggles add up.

Reactions: MarkX and Rockhouse

nikster0029

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
Just picked one up. I’m shocked. Honestly, the hardware is far better than Apples. If only I could switch!

Attachments

• IMG_0954.jpeg
    IMG_0954.jpeg
    435.5 KB · Views: 36

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
yep. Before faceID I didnt even bother locking my iphone (shock) it was too inconvenient. FaceID is SO good that it gets out of my way and is so fast that I don't really notice it. By the time I've picked the phone up, it's unlocked.

the Pixel8Pro goes a long way towards it, certainly MUCH better than the S24u but still not quite there.

It may sound a bit OTT but it's a function I use multiple times a day and any niggles add up.

I think the only thing I don't like about the Ultra is the Biometrics features are hot and cold. Sometimes they work and sometimes they really don't. Face ID on the Iphone worked all the time (Or at least 95%). It's not really a big deal but for being such a powerhouse phone, it seems like the Biometric features would be more basic than most of the other things the phone has to offer.

Reactions: keithop

keithop

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
I think the only thing I don't like about the Ultra is the Biometrics features are hot and cold. Sometimes they work and sometimes they really don't. Face ID on the Iphone worked all the time (Or at least 95%). It's not really a big deal but for being such a powerhouse phone, it seems like the Biometric features would be more basic than most of the other things the phone has to offer.

yep very much the same for me. s24u face recognition hardly ever works especially in low light and although many people say the finger print reader is spot on, I often have to press harder, lick my finger etc to get it to go through and that's without a screen protector and with reregistering my finger many times. (same with s23u as well)

but in fairness, pixel 8 pro is a LOT better and is certified for banking apps etc, so maybe the s25u will catch up a bit.

Reactions: sjsharksfan12

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I find the opposite my spare IP15 PM face ID is super annoying having to lift the phone up every time. My Fold 5 fingerprint sensor is far more convenient for my usage with work apps and works flawlessly with all my different banking accounts etc

I guess its what your use to :)

edubfromktown

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2010
East Coast, USA
I find the opposite my spare IP15 PM face ID is super annoying having to lift the phone up every time. My Fold 5 fingerprint sensor is far more convenient for my usage with work apps and works flawlessly with all my different banking accounts etc

I guess its what your use to :)
True, true...

I liked the fingerprint sensor on the back of the Pixel 4a the best. The ultrasonic one on the front of S24+ works fine (as did S23+ and for the most part Pixel 8 Pro too, with a harder thumb press).

Never have used or care at all about facial ID.

Reactions: SteveJUAE

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I just can't get on with Android. Don't get me wrong I can see why people like it, I'm not a hater, there's so many adjustments and tweaks that are desperately missing from iOS. Being able to go back by swiping from the right side of the screen is really nice but the compromise is you can't swipe right to go forward in whatever app you're using (Chrome for example).

It's the overall polish and design language that's inconsistent for me vs. iOS. Font sizes are all over the place. In Twitter the font is massive, in Chrome the font is medium size, and in other apps the font is too small. I played around with the screen zoom and font size settings on the device but couldn't get everything to look consistent. I agree with MKBHD, even Google's own apps look better on iPhone. The system integration with my password manager didn't work so great either, I have to jump between the password manager app and the app I want to fill in with my credentials because not every app recognized the password manager for some reason. I didn't like the multitasking menu, it didn't feel smooth. Some of the animations felt very unnatural and disjointed. Overall so many apps felt like they were using totally different design and animation principles.

At least u gave it a try.

Swiping from right to go forward in ios is not a thing in any app expect the safari based browsers (outside of EU app mandates). Unsure how you mixed those 2 up?

In Samsung browser I can swipe forward from the right. Chrome sucks! I'm also NOT a fan of Google forcing sync to include Google Sign in on pages!

Overall I saw the overhand unity in ios as a restriction, not all apps work to the benefit of the user in terms of maximum screen real-estate on screen. Also it's still ONLY a phone, it's only "smart" focus is of that. With SD Gen 4 you'll see how much more is possible an capable Android.

JohnRckr

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2023
Played around with the Ultra for a few hours. It's back in the box ready to return unfortunately. The experiment lasted way shorter than I anticipated. I'm glad I gave it a go.

Hardware is GREAT and I was surprised how much the S Pen was useful for some tasks like cropping and selecting text. The screen is amazing, I'm going to miss the anti glare stuff the most. I can't speak for long term durability but anyone saying Android phones can't match Apple's build quality haven't picked up an S24 Ultra. The only thing that was subpar was the fingerprint scanner, I had to add the same thumb three times to get a seamless experience.

I just can't get on with Android. Don't get me wrong I can see why people like it, I'm not a hater, there's so many adjustments and tweaks that are desperately missing from iOS. Being able to go back by swiping from the right side of the screen is really nice but the compromise is you can't swipe right to go forward in whatever app you're using (Chrome for example).

It's the overall polish and design language that's inconsistent for me vs. iOS. Font sizes are all over the place. In Twitter the font is massive, in Chrome the font is medium size, and in other apps the font is too small. I played around with the screen zoom and font size settings on the device but couldn't get everything to look consistent. I agree with MKBHD, even Google's own apps look better on iPhone. The system integration with my password manager didn't work so great either, I have to jump between the password manager app and the app I want to fill in with my credentials because not every app recognized the password manager for some reason. I didn't like the multitasking menu, it didn't feel smooth. Some of the animations felt very unnatural and disjointed. Overall so many apps felt like they were using totally different design and animation principles.

My conclusion is that Android has a lot of things I like but most of the prime advantages over iOS (specifically multi app split screen usage which is what I really had high hopes for) weren't enough to sway me. There was nothing on the S24 Ultra that could justify owning and using it over my iPhone. Now a folding phone where split screen apps make more sense might be a big enough feature boost over my iPhone...

You might think this is a sin but my takeaway is I want the S24 Ultra hardware with iOS as the software 🤷‍♂️

I might wait to see what the Pixel 9 Pro is like and try again with Google's stock Android. That or wait for the next generation of foldables. I really want a foldable iPhone but that's years away (or potentially never coming)
Completely understand this.. I battle with the same thing, I did not manage to sell my 15Pm yet so I am still undecided, and it pisses me off all this clutter

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Played around with the Ultra for a few hours. It's back in the box ready to return unfortunately. The experiment lasted way shorter than I anticipated. I'm glad I gave it a go.

Hardware is GREAT and I was surprised how much the S Pen was useful for some tasks like cropping and selecting text. The screen is amazing, I'm going to miss the anti glare stuff the most. I can't speak for long term durability but anyone saying Android phones can't match Apple's build quality haven't picked up an S24 Ultra. The only thing that was subpar was the fingerprint scanner, I had to add the same thumb three times to get a seamless experience.

My conclusion is that Android has a lot of things I like but most of the prime advantages over iOS (specifically multi app split screen usage which is what I really had high hopes for) weren't enough to sway me. There was nothing on the S24 Ultra that could justify owning and using it over my iPhone. Now a folding phone where split screen apps make more sense might be a big enough feature boost over my iPhone...

You might think this is a sin but my takeaway is I want the S24 Ultra hardware with iOS as the software 🤷‍♂️

I might wait to see what the Pixel 9 Pro is like and try again with Google's stock Android. That or wait for the next generation of foldables. I really want a foldable iPhone but that's years away (or potentially never coming)

Have you ever tried a Google Pixel phone? I hear a lot of iPhone users find it easier to get comfortable with coming from iOS. Because Samsung has a lot of stuff and tons of features which might be overwhelming.

I'd say give the Google Pixel 9 Pro XL out later this year. I'd be surprised you'd ever want to go back to an iPhone again afterward, as there's just no need.

Last iPhone I had was the 12 Pro Max, I last maybe a few months before I sprinted back to a Pixel. I personally just cannot comprehend or understand how so many people like the iPhone and iOS. Boggles the mind. But hey "different strokes, for different folks" I guess.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Last iPhone I had was the 12 Pro Max, I last maybe a few months before I sprinted back to a Pixel. I personally just cannot comprehend or understand how so many people like the iPhone and iOS. Boggles the mind. But hey "different strokes, for different folks" I guess.
Ecosystem. Specifically, adding devices such as the Apple Watch, iPad, Mac and even the AirPods… is where the iPhone shines.

I understand your point if you were to judge the iPhone standalone without any added accessories… then yeah, Android phone has more to offer. But most people tend to have a personal laptop/desktop or some wearable device… that’s what makes the iPhone intriguing.

And I know that Samsung and Google offers their own ecosystem… but Apple controlling the software and hardware is unmatched as much as I reluctantly care to say it.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Ecosystem. Specifically, adding devices such as the Apple Watch, iPad, Mac and even the AirPods… is where the iPhone shines.

I understand your point if you were to judge the iPhone standalone without any added accessories… then yeah, Android phone has more to offer. But most people tend to have a personal laptop/desktop or some wearable device… that’s what makes the iPhone intriguing.

And I know that Samsung and Google offers their own ecosystem… but Apple controlling the software and hardware is unmatched as much as I reluctantly care to say it.

That makes sense. I don't own any Apple products and probably never will, but I understand.

We're a Google Pixel family, my Wife and kids and I all have Pixel's but Google really doesn't have much of an ecosystem. Would he cool if they did.

Carrotstick

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2024
That makes sense. I don't own any Apple products and probably never will, but I understand.

We're a Google Pixel family, my Wife and kids and I all have Pixel's but Google really doesn't have much of an ecosystem. Would he cool if they did.
I get where he’s coming from. I may ditch my iPhone or iPad but there’s no way I will ever ditch my Mac or Apple Watch. Even the upcoming Snapdragon X Elite seems sub par when compared to an M3 Pro MacBook.

Even the latest Samsung laptops seem sub par to me looking at Just Josh’s review. Overall, like I always say the iPhone is carried by the Apple ecosystem.

Reactions: Tig Bitties

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I get where he’s coming from. I may ditch my iPhone or iPad but there’s no way I will ever ditch my Mac or Apple Watch. Even the upcoming Snapdragon X Elite seems sub par when compared to an M3 Pro MacBook.

Even the latest Samsung laptops seem sub par to me looking at Just Josh’s review. Overall, like I always say the iPhone is carried by the Apple ecosystem.
These days I see very little or no advantages of Apple ECO other than ease of setup for the less technically inclined and those users are probably less inclined to need it :)

Samsung ECO along with MS link to windows if anything is larger and has more functionality YMMV

Carrotstick

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2024
These days I see very little or no advantages of Apple ECO other than ease of setup for the less technically inclined and those users are probably less inclined to need it :)

Samsung ECO along with MS link to windows if anything is larger and has more functionality YMMV
True, if Samsung made a deal with Google to combine both Samsung and Google accounts as well as MS accounts. Apple’s ecosystem would have less merit.

If we could easily talk with Windows, Google services on Galaxy devices that would be great.

That being said I am slowly started moving to Samsung. I got a Tab S9 last week and plan on getting a S25 (if money permits). The OneUI and its features have surpassed iOS and iPadOS.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
If I have one beef with a S24 Ultra it's how smudgy and greasy the screen can get with prolonged use.

It seems this phone display needs to be wiped down very thoroughly very often to keep it beautiful if you're busy at work and using it here and there after eating lunch or putting it to your face multiple times the screen can get pretty nasty and then when the display is off just looking at it and off angles it's got like a really strange smudgy almost failed busted technology look? Hard to describe it almost seems like whatever that non-reflective coding is gets extra smudgy and greasy with some weird marks on it?

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
If I have one beef with a S24 Ultra it's how smudgy and greasy the screen can get with prolonged use.

It seems this phone display needs to be wiped down very thoroughly very often to keep it beautiful if you're busy at work and using it here and there after eating lunch or putting it to your face multiple times the screen can get pretty nasty and then when the display is off just looking at it and off angles it's got like a really strange smudgy almost failed busted technology look? Hard to describe it almost seems like whatever that non-reflective coding is gets extra smudgy and greasy with some weird marks on it?
The price you pay to have an ar coating. Just be glad the coating is underneath the glass on not a coating on top of the glass!! Then it would be really hard to clean and the coating could scratch before the glass.

I have an AR tempered glass screen protector and it has some weird rainbow or spilt oil effect at certain angles. In certain angles and light it looks great but the wrong ones it is glaringly bad.

But I would rather have to wipe the screen a bit more and have the AR coating. But I think these type of coatings can be a polarizing factor for some people.

Reactions: Tig Bitties

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
The price you pay to have an ar coating. Just be glad the coating is underneath the glass on not a coating on top of the glass!! Then it would be really hard to clean and the coating could scratch before the glass.

I have an AR tempered glass screen protector and it has some weird rainbow or spilt oil effect at certain angles. In certain angles and light it looks great but the wrong ones it is glaringly bad.

But I would rather have to wipe the screen a bit more and have the AR coating. But I think these type of coatings can be a polarizing factor for some people.

Well said sir, agreed. I do love this matte screen, but it needs to wiped down more often with a fiber cloth.

Reactions: Technerd108

yui4

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2011
True, if Samsung made a deal with Google to combine both Samsung and Google accounts as well as MS accounts. Apple’s ecosystem would have less merit.

If we could easily talk with Windows, Google services on Galaxy devices that would be great.

That being said I am slowly started moving to Samsung. I got a Tab S9 last week and plan on getting a S25 (if money permits). The OneUI and its features have surpassed iOS and iPadOS.
I’ve been considering a tab s9, not sure which variant yet.

Nowadays apple ecosystem means nothing to me. I still have my 15 PM but I’ve gone back to a mechanical watch (I’ve had enough of smart watches) and got the Sony xm5 headphones

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
I'm giving some thought of maybe going back to the Galaxy Watch, but I feel like the Apple Watch was kind of controlling my life and it's been nice not having to wear one the last few weeks. I do miss having the pay mechanism on the wrist though, because paying with the phone feels kind of weird with how big the phone is.

I am glad I don't have to stay up till midnight wondering what the next Monthly Challenge was.

Carrotstick

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2024
I’ve been considering a tab s9, not sure which variant yet.
I got the 11” tab S9. Perfect as a mini-tv and manga reader. Plus the screen and audio is great.

I feel the 12.5”/14” is good for a laptop replacement or as a massive art canvas.

Reactions: yui4

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I'm giving some thought of maybe going back to the Galaxy Watch, but I feel like the Apple Watch was kind of controlling my life and it's been nice not having to wear one the last few weeks. I do miss having the pay mechanism on the wrist though, because paying with the phone feels kind of weird with how big the phone is.

I am glad I don't have to stay up till midnight wondering what the next Monthly Challenge was.
I have gone away from having tap to pay on my phones even though I was an early adopter

Primarily if you are a traveller its just not accepted or used in so many places it becomes unreliable

Recently I have had 2 issues,

Last week my company profile on my phone through a wobbly and as the control my pin in so far as criteria and renewal periods etc I was locked out of my phone for nearly 24 hours as IT was in a different country and in the end I had to factory reset my phone. I now have my Company profile on my Flip 5 and not my primary Fold 5 as I can't have this happening again

The other was that compulsory password change glitch just reported on MR front page, on my IPhone

Both of these have enforced my decision to still use my bank/credit cards tap and pay and not digital ones on my phone(s) let alone watch LOL

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
I have gone away from having tap to pay on my phones even though I was an early adopter

Primarily if you are a traveller its just not accepted or used in so many places it becomes unreliable

Recently I have had 2 issues,

Last week my company profile on my phone through a wobbly and as the control my pin in so far as criteria and renewal periods etc I was locked out of my phone for nearly 24 hours as IT was in a different country and in the end I had to factory reset my phone. I now have my Company profile on my Flip 5 and not my primary Fold 5 as I can't have this happening again

The other was that compulsory password change glitch just reported on MR front page, on my IPhone

Both of these have enforced my decision to still use my bank/credit cards tap and pay and not digital ones on my phone(s) let alone watch LOL

I know people have wanted to move away from Wallets over the last few years (Going as far as wanting the ID/Drivers License on the phone) but I was always confused by that because most states don't have the Drivers License feature (And probably won't get it, and states that have instituted their own have been really bad, from what I've heard). Where do you put your most important card if you can't put it on the phone. I wouldn't want to keep it in the car (Someone could break in and steal it) and I just don't feel comfortable without a wallet. Maybe I too should go back to just using hard credit cards, but I still believe Tap to Pay is a useable innovation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.