Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
No interest at all - will keep my original PS5 for as long as possible, well for as long as the good games keep coming for it!

Reactions: madeirabhoy

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Regarding the AI hardware, it’s nice to see console manufacturers to start getting interest on the technology,
Ai upscaling and frame generation have a cost. They are:
-Artefacts
-Latency

There, some developers might use it, others only a little bit, and some none at all. For the past three months I have tried Nvidia DLSS and frame generation and both are exceptionally good. Latency is barely perceptible in single player games. However, that's Nvidia, they are 5 years ahead of anyone else when it comes to ai software and hardware. Whether PSSR can even match FSR2 is something we'll hopefully learn soon.

Reactions: Populus

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Anyone have the Inzone M9 along with their PS5? Thoughts?....

Im tempted as I need a new gaming monitor....

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Anyone have the Inzone M9 along with their PS5? Thoughts?....

Im tempted as I need a new gaming monitor....
I thought about getting one but… the non glossy finish is a bit of a deal breaker for me.

But if you don’t mind the matte finish of the M9, I’d go ahead and get one, as long as the store has a return policy.

However, if you want to use it for your Mac as well, keep in mind the macOS scaling peculiarities on 4K monitors.

Reactions: Ifti

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
PS5 Pro? Nah not interested, only got my OG PS5 in December so I’m late to the game, I’ll just get a PS6 when it’s out.

th0masp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2015
Just shut mine off for the weekend after playing a bit. I got it last summer when it was significantly discounted by 100 Euros (big version with BR drive) and that was pretty much the only reason I went for it at that point. Have to say I'm less than impressed so far with exclusives. Instead I installed a bunch of my PS4 titles on it where I suspected the extra performance and reduced load times might help. Kinda ruined by the really slow wake from sleep though. What's up with that - that feature works so much better on the PS4?

Bonus points for being able to use the PS4 controllers with the back button attachement without fuss. As well as keeping compatibility with my wheel/pedal set-up. So at least it has some purpose for me.

From what I've seen there isn't much that would interest me that actually makes use of the PS5's extra horsepower over the PS4 Pro. Thus I don't see how a PS5 Pro would make any sense (so far). It did for the PS4 since that one was specced prior to VR becoming a thing. That is if you agree that VR became a thing. ;)

In terms of user experience I vastly prefer the PS4 so far though and still revert to using my PS4 Pro over the PS5 for most games I play. The PS5 interface just does not gel with me at all. Only upside that affects me so far: quieter in operation. Not the biggest deal if you play using headphones.

Still got the PSVR2 on my shopping list, going to wait for the PC support they announced recently though before pulling the trigger on it to see if it could outlive the console if necessary.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Just shut mine off for the weekend after playing a bit. I got it last summer when it was significantly discounted by 100 Euros (big version with BR drive) and that was pretty much the only reason I went for it at that point. Have to say I'm less than impressed so far with exclusives. Instead I installed a bunch of my PS4 titles on it where I suspected the extra performance and reduced load times might help. Kinda ruined by the really slow wake from sleep though. What's up with that - that feature works so much better on the PS4?

Bonus points for being able to use the PS4 controllers with the back button attachement without fuss. As well as keeping compatibility with my wheel/pedal set-up. So at least it has some purpose for me.

From what I've seen there isn't much that would interest me that actually makes use of the PS5's extra horsepower over the PS4 Pro. Thus I don't see how a PS5 Pro would make any sense (so far). It did for the PS4 since that one was specced prior to VR becoming a thing. That is if you agree that VR became a thing. ;)

In terms of user experience I vastly prefer the PS4 so far though and still revert to using my PS4 Pro over the PS5 for most games I play. The PS5 interface just does not gel with me at all. Only upside that affects me so far: quieter in operation. Not the biggest deal if you play using headphones.

Still got the PSVR2 on my shopping list, going to wait for the PC support they announced recently though before pulling the trigger on it to see if it could outlive the console if necessary.
PS4 Pro was a great console indeed, but I had to sell it because the noise was… literally too much. Like a hair dryer. It usually wake up people on my home if I started to play during the night.

I really expect the next console I buy to be compact and silent. So if the PS5 Pro is heavier, bigger and noisier than the original PS5, I’m gonna just get a slim PS5, and wait for the PS6.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
I got the PS5 upon release (or close to it) and had the PS4 slim before that (but with games off external SD). I'm also still at 1080p. So the PS5 was a decent step up, even though my loading times were already well improved on PS4 from SSD. But the slim didn't have the horsepower of the PS4 Pro, of the PS5, so there was a decent improvement there.

All the same, I'd say the Spider-Man games have really hit it out of the park on PS5, and CP2077 has done so eventually too, but it doesn't feel like the same generational gap as between PS3/Xbox360 to PS4/XBox One.

PS5 Pro sounds tempting but I'll wait for the reviews. If it's solid 60 FPS across the board at 1080p, which I don't think is at all unreasonable, then that's something that might convince me that upgrading is worthwhile. I didn't move from PS4 to PS4 Pro and am not sure I'll do the Pro upgrade this time either.

Reactions: Macalicious2011

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Only upside that affects me so far: quieter in operation. Not the biggest deal if you play using headphones.
The way the PS5 handles updates to games was worth the price of admission to me. The PS4 felt like it took forever to download and then apply updates.

th0masp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2015
The way the PS5 handles updates to games was worth the price of admission to me. The PS4 felt like it took forever to download and then apply updates.

Hmmm... is the difference that you can start playing once the download reaches a certain point and it'll continue to download and update in the background from then on? I noticed that but wasn't sure if the PS4 perhaps had already done this.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Hmmm... is the difference that you can start playing once the download reaches a certain point and it'll continue to download and update in the background from then on? I noticed that but wasn't sure if the PS4 perhaps had already done this.
It's not just that. I can remember really wanting to hop into a game and then after the downloading the update was finished it felt like forever before the system was done copying/applying the update. I don't have that happen with my PS5.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/dliboy

Reactions: Weaselboy

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
It's not just that. I can remember really wanting to hop into a game and then after the downloading the update was finished it felt like forever before the system was done copying/applying the update. I don't have that happen with my PS5.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/dliboy
I remember that also. I seemed like the game was getting downloaded into a temp folder of some sort, then once the download was done it got copied from the temp folder to the main games folder, and that took ages.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
I remember that also. I seemed like the game was getting downloaded into a temp folder of some sort, then once the download was done it got copied from the temp folder to the main games folder, and that took ages.
Yes, you'd naively think you'd be playing soon after the download completed. Oh no sweet child.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Yeah, I remember this as well, especially with Fortnite updates. I ended up deleting the game and downloading it again because it was way faster than updating it.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
All the same, I'd say the Spider-Man games have really hit it out of the park on PS5, and CP2077 has done so eventually too, but it doesn't feel like the same generational gap as between PS3/Xbox360 to PS4/XBox One.
The reason could be because the budget from the hardware is spread too thinly across:
-Bigger worlds
-Higher resolution
-Higher frame rate
-Global illumination
-Ray tracing
-Higher quality textures

Another theory is that studious are developing for the lowest common denominator and care more about the total number of players than winning awards for the best visuals.

Reactions: Howard2k

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
Where are the Dragon's Dogma 2 people at? Curious about how it runs on PS5.

Agreed. Looks stunning but the general noise is that the frame rate issues are a downer. I'm still knee deep in BG3 so I likely will get DD2 but I'm happy to wait for some patches and then sales.

Reactions: MisterSavage

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Agreed. Looks stunning but the general noise is that the frame rate issues are a downer. I'm still knee deep in BG3 so I likely will get DD2 but I'm happy to wait for some patches and then sales.
He does talk about it in the first 3 minutes of this video.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I heard a lot of people saying it's like Sekiro more than anything.
That game (Sekiro) is on my Steam wishlist, so I haven't played it yet.

Timing matters fighting these enemies. I may turn performance on to see if that helps me. I have VRR enabled, but I'm not sure how much that impacts timing. I've died a bunch of times.

C7 POWER

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
Charlotte, NC
I will wait for the PS6, as stated Sony has admitted the PS5 is in the later stage of its life cycle at this point, and I got mine on launch day, got the PSVR2 on Launch Day, and the PS Portal on launch Day and I am using my PSVR2 less and less as just the quality of games and lack of PSVR1 games being ported over, and not even a true first party AAA PSVR2 game like Astrobot. My Portal I like but now I never use it, after a week or two the novelty wore off lol. I have the Series X which I also got at launch, but I havent played it since last year, no great games and any really good one I rather play on my PS5 due to the Dual Sense Controller, and my Switch OLED collects dust sitting in its dock lol.

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
How can we be in the later stage of the PS5‘s lifecycle, and a new Naughty Dog game has not even been *announced* yet????
This gen has been underwhelming for Sony 1st party releases and all the industry layoffs are not helping. I wish Bluepoint games was working on a remake of Bloodborne. That game looked incredible on the PS4 but it could have used 60FPS performance and 4K.

Reactions: Taustin Powers
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.