Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
Is there anyone here who has played both World of Tanks and this for a comparison? Apologies if I asked that a while back.

Played World of War Planes, the fly boy side of Wargaming.

It was fun by being very simplistic. But it gets boring.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Played World of War Planes, the fly boy side of Wargaming.

It was fun by being very simplistic. But it gets boring.

For flying I always wonder about the flight model. I remember something about an arcade vs realistic model. Realistic is the only way to go, but then I wonder how accurate that is too. Decades ago in the 1990s we played Warbirds online which was very good. Falcon 3 was probably the most realistic modern flight sim I've ever flown, but it was on the edge of being too hard to be casual.

Reactions: Mike5

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
For flying I always wonder about the flight model. I remember something about an arcade vs realistic model. Realistic is the only way to go, but then I wonder how accurate that is too. Decades ago in the 1990s we played Warbirds online which was very good. Falcon 3 was probably the most realistic modern flight sim I've ever flown, but it was on the edge of being too hard to be casual.

WoWP is all arcadish
WT has 2 FM, but also 3 levels of difficulty. If you want hard core look at the latest IL-2 sims.
If you want the most realistic, X-Plane.

I like WT for the vast variety of vehicles and a VERY REAL nuanced difference of each unit, but the game play is very limited and contrived.
For a true idea of what war is all about, WW2 Online.

Reactions: Mike5 and Huntn

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Used to play this game a few years ago. I wonder what's changed since then. Might have a go at it this weekend.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
Used to play this game a few years ago. I wonder what's changed since then. Might have a go at it this weekend.

A lot, and that's an understatement.
Fundamental game play is same, but dozens, maybe a hundred, new features/missions installed.
If you into historic vehicles, hard to find something with more variety (more of a game and not true Sim)

Reactions: 0388631

jeanlain

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2009
Any plan to restore the Metal renderer? The engine reverted to using openGL a few months ago, just when Apple announced deprecation... :rolleyes:

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
Any plan to restore the Metal renderer? The engine reverted to using openGL a few months ago, just when Apple announced deprecation... :rolleyes:

"deprecation"?

I think there was too many stability and compatibility issues. Most have it working fine, but too many did not.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
@PracticalMac are you still playing this (War Thunder Tanks)?

I’ve been having a lot of fun and cursing War Gaming’s World of Warships, still playing it, it’s not too Arcady for me, the ships seem pretty reasonable other than they are built on WG’s Tier structure, an artificial structure where higher tiers are awarded extra hit points.

However I’ve heard World of Tanks is Arcady and I know from personal experience that the tanKs are hotrods compared to actual tanks and you can fly across the landscape precision shooting enemy tanks, plus it is built on Tier HPs.

Although I tried War Thunder years ago, it was to fly airplanes. Something got me to install War Thunder to try the tanks out because after playing WoT for about 5 years, I burned out on it and the last time I tried it, hated it.

So tonight I tried WT tanks and was quite pleased with it. The aiming system feels more real, and when driving over bumpy ground, you can’t target much of anything without stopping. And the tanks feel clunkier like I would expect them to feel, and repairing them seems more realistic too. When putting a fire out, your crew can’t operate the tank. Multiple systems can be damaged and this also takes time to repair.

It looks like I’ll be playing this. :D

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA

I’ve been having a lot of fun and cursing War Gaming’s World of Warships, still playing it, it’s not too Arcady for me, the ships seem pretty reasonable other than they are built on WG’s Tier structure, an artificial structure where higher tiers are awarded extra hit points.

However I’ve heard World of Tanks is Arcady and I know from personal experience that the tanKs are hotrods compared to actual tanks and you can fly across the landscape precision shooting enemy tanks, plus it is built on Tier HPs.

Although I tried War Thunder years ago, it was to fly airplanes. Something got me to install War Thunder to try the tanks out because after playing WoT for about 5 years, I burned out on it and the last time I tried it, hated it.

So tonight I tried WT tanks and was quite pleased with it. The aiming system feels more real, and when driving over bumpy ground, you can’t target much of anything without stopping. And the tanks feel clunkier like I would expect them to feel, and repairing them seems more realistic too. When putting a fire out, your crew can’t operate the tank. Multiple systems can be damaged and this also takes time to repair.

How does it compare to WoT ?

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
How does it compare to WoT ?
War Thunder Tanks to WoT? I’m still new to it, but I’m liking it. I remember driving a Sherman Tank in WoT and when I watched how they handle in Kelly's Heroes realized WoT was not very realistic.

It seems it is possible to be one shot in WT tanks, but it’s hard to judge, a tank I shot and killed may have already been damaged. I do know damage plays a bigger role, in other words when your tank is penned, there are typically ramifications greater than just your health bar dropping. I like this. And when you catch on fire, your crew stops fighting and fights the fire instead. It feels realistic compared to WoT.

I also like that gun handling is more difficult, ie not as Arcady. So when you are driving a low level tank, you’ll see your aim cursor going all over the place and while you maybe able to hit something on the move, it’s definitely more difficult, causing you frequently to stop to fire. Not sure how that plays out with an Abrams designed to gun on the run.

In arcade mode you do get a pen indicator when Aiming at a tank, but for elevation, you have to use a Scale, even it is shows you the elevation needed, it feels more realistic than WoTs aiming convention because you aim based on elevation. As I recall in WoT your cursor auto adjusted for elevation.

The last tank game I played that was completely based on Kentucky windage aiming was Planetside which was very unrealistic, but fun. You could actually get good at leading tanks at different ranges. :)

I’ve not yet figured out tiers, ie how much artificial hit point benefit higher level tanks get.
More to come. :D

When I first installed WT, it was through Steam, many years ago. This time I downloaded it directly from the developer and am playing it directly. I was surprised I could get away with this as Steam tends to take over such a game and have rights to your participation in a game. In Stram, it shows in my library, but is uninstalled. I see no reason to play this via Steam, same for World of Warships.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
War Thunder Tanks to WoT? I’m still new to it, but I’m liking it. I remember driving a Sherman Tank in WoT and when I watched how they handle in Kelly's Heroes realized WoT was not very realistic.

It seems it is possible to be one shot in WT tanks, but it’s hard to judge, a tank I shot and killed may have already been damaged. I do know damage plays a bigger role, in other words when your tank is penned, there are typically ramifications greater than just your health bar dropping. I like this. And when you catch on fire, your crew stops fighting and fights the fire instead. It feels realistic compared to WoT.

I also like that gun handling is more difficult, ie not as Arcady. So when you are driving a low level tank, you’ll see your aim cursor going all over the place and while you maybe able to hit something on the move, it’s definitely more difficult, causing you frequently to stop to fire. Not sure how that plays out with an Abrams designed to gun on the run.

In arcade mode you do get a pen indicator when Aiming at a tank, but for elevation, you have to use a Scale, even it is shows you the elevation needed, it feels more realistic than WoTs aiming convention because you aim based on elevation. As I recall in WoT your cursor auto adjusted for elevation.

The last tank game I played that was completely based on Kentucky windage aiming was Planetside which was very unrealistic, but fun. You could actually get good at leading tanks at different ranges. :)

I’ve not yet figured out tiers, ie how much artificial hit point benefit higher level tanks get.
More to come. :D

When I first installed WT, it was through Steam, many years ago. This time I downloaded it directly from the developer and am playing it directly. I was surprised I could get away with this as Steam tends to take over such a game and have rights to your participation in a game. In Stram, it shows in my library, but is uninstalled. I see no reason to play this via Steam, same for World of Warships.

If it's Mac native, I may have to try it.

We could both go online and I could give you some easy kills :).

Edit: For some reason, the Xeon processor in my Mac Pro is not supported ?

Edit 2: It looks like the game was not written to support multiple cores. People with i9 processors are experiencing issues so I think that the game only supports the i7. If so, who do they have for programmers ?

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
If it's Mac native, I may have to try it.

We could both go online and I could give you some easy kills :).

Edit: For some reason, the Xeon processor in my Mac Pro is not supported ?

Edit 2: It looks like the game was not written to support multiple cores. People with i9 processors are experiencing issues so I think that the game only supports the i7. If so, who do they have for programmers ?
No clue. :( Don’t PCs have the same processors?

I do know the game looks better than WOTs and the would be happy to try the game out with you, although I’m seriously newb with it. A couple of guys I used to play World of Warships with gave up on it. Today I lasted for 2 horrible WoWS battles quitting in disgust. So many players have no clue. :(

Today for WT, I was reading about Arcade vs realism modes. In Arcade you get a pen indicator, your tank moves faster along with faster turret speed, but still feels less Arcady than WoT.

In Realism mode , you have to guess elevation although TDSs have range finders. There is a practise area that I tried eyeballing tanks and guesstimating elevation and it’s not that hard to hit them, although you get no penetration info without studying every tank which I did not do in WoT, instead I had some notes about weak spots along with a tank skin mod that showed the weak spots.

I’ve not yet settled on whether I’ll settle into arcade or realism, and am not yet sold on the game to say I’ll play it long term.

I’m not sold on realistic mode: https://wiki.warthunder.com/Category:Game_modes#Realistic_Battles. The fog of war seems to be a real thing in this game when choosing realistic battles. I would think on Random Teams you’d want the extra info..

Last edited:

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
No clue. :( Don’t PCs have the same processors?

Yes and from what I read, anything but an i7 gives issues.

It might look good and the game play might be good but the actual programming in the game doesn't look good if the software team had to write the game for a specific processor :(.

• Sad
Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Yes and from what I read, anything but an i7 gives issues.

It might look good and the game play might be good but the actual programming in the game doesn't look good if the software team had to write the game for a specific processor :(.
It’s free to play, so you could give it a shot.

I’m still figuring it out. I’m now getting 3 spawns in a battle which is great, but each time you respawn, it’s in a different tank, different crew unless you pay a cash fee (Golden Eagle) of about $1 to respawns in the same tank, which I don’t do.

Still trying to figure out the crew- tank relationship. In WT, you can keep a few crews and move them from tank to tank as needed vs WoT, WoWS where crews are locked to a vehicle and moving them retrains them, and they lose their former skills (does not apply to premium vehicles where any crew from a country can be placed on a premium vehicle for that same country).

In WT I have 2 light tank crews, medium tank crew, and TD crew, but have yet to stumble across a crew page, because I was told, it is the active crews assigned to tanks are what spawns. My understanding is that you can have a crew for light tanks, one for medium tanks, etc. I‘m still trying to figure out how to control what spawns in a battle, on the respawn.

You can pick a crewed tank and hit Battle, but what respond on the 2Nd and 3rd respawns, I’m still working on how to control that. Later in the game when you get a variety of different level tanks, you don’t want a level 1 tank, grouped with a level 7 tank in the same battle, because the battle you find yourself in will be based on the top tank in the group, however that it is defined. :oops:

See my thread at Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/app/236390/discussions/0/2791620581381931402/?tscn=1595491883

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
After a first night with a majority of winning, last night turned into a majority of losing. I moved up to a M3 Lee and M4A3 Sherman (not the M4 Sherman) medium tanks and I thought, I’m moving up! And then I promptly got 1 shot, 3 times in the same battle by a Russian T-34. Shooting me though my front armor. ?

War Thunder even on arcade mode is much less forgiving than World of Tanks. ?

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX

@Plutonius

Yes, I play WT.
It has 3 modes, Arcade (still more complex than WoT), Realistic (similar to IL-2), and Simulated (few icons)
9 nations now, thousands of units.

Downside is Rank 4 and up the grind becomes laborious (ground is worst, air is painful, navy is not too bad)

There is also issues on Mac.
NVIDIA GPU before 2017 have some kind of size rendering issue not resolved yet.
Mac's made before 2015 need to run on ULQ, Ultra Low Quality. Looks horrible, but avoids another render bug.

There is also a frustrating large number of bugs in game, missing items, and game issues at top rank ground units.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
After a first night with a majority of winning, last night turned into a majority of losing. I moved up to a M3 Lee and M4A3 Sherman (not the M4 Sherman) medium tanks and I thought, I’m moving up! And then I promptly got 1 shot, 3 times in the same battle by a Russian T-34. Shooting me though my front armor. ?

War Thunder even on arcade mode is much less forgiving than World of Tanks. ?

WoT is very arcade, which IMHO is worse.
To do well in WT you need to practice tactics and know your tank and enemy tanks very well (X-ray).
I do OK in tanks.

I am frequently top player in Naval :D

In the air, I only play Sim EC. I do very well in that mode.

PS, the trick to winning is Crew.
Apply Crew points correctly and pay for Expert mode, that is about 1/3 of what it takes to win.

Reactions: Huntn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.