Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
WoT is very arcade, which IMHO is worse.
To do well in WT you need to practice tactics and know your tank and enemy tanks very well (X-ray).
I do OK in tanks.

I am frequently top player in Naval :D

In the air, I only play Sim EC. I do very well in that mode.

PS, the trick to winning is Crew.
Apply Crew points correctly and pay for Expert mode, that is about 1/3 of what it takes to win.
I’ve got about a week playing WT, 5 years playing WoT, and 1 year playing World of Warships. Here are my impressions:
  • WT is much tougher than WoT, even WT in arcade mode. But this does not mean WoT is not enjoyable. It’s just a different set of rules, more forgiving rules.
  • WT = frequent one shotting, and if not that, serious incapacitation that makes the odds of survival highly unlikely as you are shot over and over again, which is great if you are the shooter. WT mitigates this somewhat by allowing you 3 lives in a battle.
  • In WoT a bad move equals losing some heath, not death. If you prefer being able to one shot tanks, WT is better. If you prefer relaxed rules, WoT is better.
  • WT maps are huge, and complex generally speaking. Familiarity with the maps makes a huge difference. WoT maps are more compressed and easier to find the fight. A typical WoT rural battle could be a Valley with opposing forces starting on opposite ends.
  • As far as tank handling, light tanks in WT (based on the 4 tanks I have driven) actually feel more Arcady than WoT. In WT, they are very slippery slidey.
A quick question for you: in Arcade mode, if you are out of sight, can you sneak up on someone or will you always light up on their map within a certain range? I’m asking because it seems like they always know I’m coming. Thanks!

As far as WR naval, I shoukd try it, but am very satisfied with the pace and required tactics in World of Warships. My beef there is the number of torpedoes they have put on destroyers to balance the game, which drives me a little crazy, when a destroyer can take out a battleship with a single salvo of 20 torpedoes. Ridiculous...

Last edited:

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
I’ve got about a week playing WT, 5 years playing WoT, and 1 year playing World of Warships. Here are my impressions:
  • WT is much tougher than WoT, even WT in arcade mode. But this does not mean WoT is not enjoyable. It’s just a different set of rules, more forgiving rules.
  • WT = frequent one shotting, and if not that, serious incapacitation that makes the odds of survival highly unlikely as you are shot over and over again, which is great if you are the shooter. WT mitigates this somewhat by allowing you 3 lives in a battle.
  • In WoT a bad move equals losing some heath, not death. If you prefer being able to one shot tanks, WT is better. If you prefer relaxed rules, WoT is better.
  • WT maps are huge, and complex generally speaking. Familiarity with the maps makes a huge difference. WoT maps are more compressed and easier to find the fight. A typical WoT rural battle could be a Valley with opposing forces starting on opposite ends.
  • As far as tank handling, light tanks in WT (based on the 4 tanks I have driven) actually feel more Arcady than WoT. In WT, they are very slippery slidey.
A quick question for you: in Arcade mode, if you are out of sight, can you sneak up on someone or will you always light up on their map within a certain range? I’m asking because it seems like they always know I’m coming. Thanks!

As far as WR naval, I shoukd try it, but am very satisfied with the pace and required tactics in World of Warships. My beef there is the number of torpedoes they have put on destroyers to balance the game, which drives me a little crazy, when a destroyer can take out a battleship with a single salvo of 20 torpedoes. Ridiculous...

Red reply:
"easy mode" = bad game play. Just a mad rush to cap points and a slug fest of who can get more hits than other.

WoWhatever = Tic-tac-toe
WT = Checkers
(WW2 Online = Chess)

Advice: Flank, flank, flank. You will be amazed how many kills you get by going around the center of battle (when possible, not all maps allow you to flank).

Yes, in AB everyone will know where you are, no sneaking.

In RB by default enemy units are not shown on map, an "over there" flag will pop up, spotted by another player on your team.

Naval play is very different than Tank play.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Red reply:
"easy mode" = bad game play. Just a mad rush to cap points and a slug fest of who can get more hits than other.

WoWhatever = Tic-tac-toe
WT = Checkers
(WW2 Online = Chess)

Advice: Flank, flank, flank. You will be amazed how many kills you get by going around the center of battle (when possible, not all maps allow you to flank).

Yes, in AB everyone will know where you are, no sneaking.

In RB by default enemy units are not shown on map, an "over there" flag will pop up, spotted by another player on your team.

Naval play is very different than Tank play.
Not sure where WoT falls in there. While there is a game mode where you take over a point and control it, many more battles are kill the other team, and/or take over their base, and even in those domination maps (control a point) there are no mad rushes to sit on the point , because in many cases that area is a kill zone. Now in WT, I frequently witness mad rushes to control points, but that’s in Arcade.

The other bad thing about flanking is if you do that by yourself. What I have done in WoT is latch onto another tank and follow them around.

Although for WoT, I have a 4 sheets of tanks and their weak points, but it’s just easier to load up tank skins that show weak points which is legal. I think this qualifies me as a casual player. :)

In realistic mode, do your team’s tank appear on the mini-map?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.