Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

magicMac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2010
UK
hopefully the next iPhone SE is based on the 6.1 LCD from the iPhone 11, for those who have difficulty with PWM on the OLED displays. It's only 828p display, but it doesn't look as bad you might think, because LCD has full RGB on each pixel unlike OLED.

I believe the next iPhone SE will also be the first iPhone to include apples own 5G modem, seems like a good phone for apple to try it out on because performance expectations are lower on the SE models (no mmWave support and 2x MIMO instead of 4x MIMO on 5G mid-band/Cband).

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
hopefully the next iPhone SE is based on the 6.1 LCD from the iPhone 11, for those who have difficulty with PWM on the OLED displays. It's only 828p display, but it doesn't look as bad you might think, because LCD has full RGB on each pixel unlike OLED.

I believe the next iPhone SE will also be the first iPhone to include apples own 5G modem, seems like a good phone for apple to try it out on because performance expectations are lower on the SE models (no mmWave support and 2x MIMO instead of 4x MIMO on 5G mid-band/Cband).
I wish you were right, however, if they use the iPhone 14 frame (which makes sense), I’m afraid they’re not going to make a new LCD screen for that form factor. They will just go with the cheaper OLED.

However, if they released an LCD iPhone 14 as the new iPhone SE, I’d buy it honestly. It’s just I see it unlikely and prefer to not have hope.

daavee80

Cancelled
Jul 17, 2019
I wish you were right, however, if they use the iPhone 14 frame (which makes sense), I’m afraid they’re not going to make a new LCD screen for that form factor. They will just go with the cheaper OLED.

However, if they released an LCD iPhone 14 as the new iPhone SE, I’d buy it honestly. It’s just I see it unlikely and prefer to not have hope.
Exactly. Next to zero chance the next SE will have an LCD. LCD production for phones is slowing and everything's moving toward OLED, which is here to stay until MicroLED is cheap enough to mass produce. It has been years since Apple released a LCD phone and all rumours point toward the next SE using the 14 chassis and, logically, the same screen. They're not gonna use the iPhone 11 chassis or screen at this point as an SE based on the 14 will be cheaper to produce.
The frustrating thing is that OLED screens aren't inherently bad in regards to flicker as they can and do have DC dimming just like PWM-free LCD's. But most people aren't aware of the potential issues or don't care thus the manufacturers and vendors don't care either and go for the cheaper PWM solution which also conveniently increases battery life. It's a win win for everyone apart from people who suffer from mysterious eye strain, headaches, fatigue, etc because of the flickering displays they use daily.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.