Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
M4, when M1 is overpowered for iPads?

At this point, its just spec-chasing until the software catches up to the hardware.
While I agree with you that iPadOS really needs some significant upgrades, I think - if this rumour turns out to be true - that it is not about the CPU or GPU. As you said, even the M1 chip is perfectly capable for 90% of all tasks an iPad does.

There are a lot of rumours on Apple going all-in on AI functionality. Just like you generally don't use the CPU to create images (that's a GPU task), you want the AI tasks to be done by dedicated cores which are enhanced for this task.

If Apple does go all-in on AI functionality, well, the M3 chip actually lags quite a bit behind the A17 Pro chip - while the M3 came out later! The M4 chip would, presumably, offer a significant boost in terms of processing cores enhanced for AI tasks - over the M3 chip.

Reactions: Rafterman

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
Thanks for the info. For what it's worth I wasn't being especially serious with the Jobs comment, but in my experience Apple build quality has been steadily trending downward for many years.
The problem is that (in my opinion) every other manufacturer is dropping quality even faster! I think that Apple is still better--now that it got rid of that abominable butterfly keyboard.

Itsedstech

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2011
Kansas
Well probably already mentioned in here before but I’ve been gone the last 12 pages lol makes sense for the iPad to be powered by the m4 if Apple was working on a special version of iOS for it which was the “holdup”. That special version including ai features powered by the m4.

Reactions: xxray

gusping

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2012
Well probably already mentioned in here before but I’ve been gone the last 12 pages lol makes sense for the iPad to be powered by the m4 if Apple was working on a special version of iOS for it which was the “holdup”. That special version including ai features powered by the m4.
They wouldn't release them before WWDC though. They were probably just minor under the hood tweaks for iPad OS to work on the new iPads and nothing more. Hope i'm wrong though. iPad OS needs a massive overhaul to make the iPad Pro useful and worth its price to me.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
They wouldn't release them before WWDC though. They were probably just minor under the hood tweaks for iPad OS to work on the new iPads and nothing more. Hope i'm wrong though. iPad OS needs a massive overhaul to make the iPad Pro useful and worth its price to me.
I don't disagree. If there is in fact a new, "high end" iOS for the rumored M4 equipped iPad I just wonder if Apple will finally spill the beans on what the "high end" will accomplish to justify the M4? If Apple says just wait for WWDC at the new iPad's announcement/release date that is one teaser that isn't going to go down well.

If they just introduce the M4 iPad, with no details on the new iOS I'm not sure the physical upgrades on the new iPad Pro are going to do it for me. I own an M1 iPad BTW.

Reactions: gusping

gusping

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2012
If they just introduce the M4 iPad, with no details on the new iOS I'm not sure the physical upgrades on the new iPad Pro are going to do it for me.
I agree. They really need to announce or tease something big if the Pros do include the M4.

I own a now ancient 2018 iPad Pro and i'm not sure if i will upgrade if they don't announce any major software changes at WWDC. Yes my battery is terrible, but an M4 SoC and OLED screen isn't going to change a single thing about how I use my iPad.

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
The OLED iPad panels are expected to be by far the best OLED tablet panels on the market with LTPO, 120Hz refresh, a tandem stack and glass thinning resulting in ultra-thin and light displays with high brightness, extended battery life and long lifetime.

This quote just came from Ross Young, one of the most accurate Apple leakers and who specializes in his knowledge around displays.

This just got me really excited. The prospect of screens this good, longer battery life, and maybe even an M4 chip? LTPO amost guarantees always-on display too. Either there won’t be an M4 chip or these “pads” are going to be exxxpppennnsssiiivveee.

I’ll be really excited if Apple pulls all of this off though. It feels like they’ve gotten too comfortable and stagnant lately. This would be a nice change.

Reactions: JimmycozSTL

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I don't disagree. If there is in fact a new, "high end" iOS for the rumored M4 equipped iPad I just wonder if Apple will finally spill the beans on what the "high end" will accomplish to justify the M4? If Apple says just wait for WWDC at the new iPad's announcement/release date that is one teaser that isn't going to go down well.

If they just introduce the M4 iPad, with no details on the new iOS I'm not sure the physical upgrades on the new iPad Pro are going to do it for me. I own an M1 iPad BTW.
I agree. They really need to announce or tease something big if the Pros do include the M4.

I own a now ancient 2018 iPad Pro and i'm not sure if i will upgrade if they don't announce any major software changes at WWDC. Yes my battery is terrible, but an M4 SoC and OLED screen isn't going to change a single thing about how I use my iPad.
Speaking of iPadOS… I’m really curious, what are you both looking for specifically? I know @gusping mention how they dislike Stage Manager, but what exactly do you dislike about it?

Is it because it doesn’t look like a traditional desktop like Windows or macOS? It might not follow the same principles… but you get the same results such as having multiple resizing windows actively on screen.

Reactions: pdoherty

gusping

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2012
Speaking of iPadOS… I’m really curious, what are you both looking for specifically? I know @gusping mention how they dislike Stage Manager, but what exactly do you dislike about it?

Is it because it doesn’t look like a traditional desktop like Windows or macOS? It might not follow the same principles… but you get the same results such as having multiple resizing windows actively on screen.
Stage manager is a good first attempt at windowing and multitasking, but is could really excel with some changes. Namely, it is a very inefficient use of space. It turns at 13in iPad into essentially a 10in iPad. Also, the ability to change the size of apps varies greatly. You can't make some apps small, so they take up 2/3 of the whole now 10in screen. I know amending this will be a challenge to change, but it needs to happen. The iPad also needs proper external display support with no black borders to make this improved stage manager excel. Oh, and please let have have proper cursor not a dot (personal pet peeve :p).

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Stage manager is a good first attempt at windowing and multitasking, but is could really excel with some changes. Namely, it is a very inefficient use of space. It turns at 13in iPad into essentially a 10in iPad.
I suspect you are referring to Show Recent Apps area and dock... Both can be disabled.

Also, the ability to change the size of apps varies greatly. You can't make some apps small, so they take up 2/3 of the whole now 10in screen. I know amending this will be a challenge to change, but it needs to happen.
What apps are you having issues with? Some apps require devs to support pre-existing multitasking such as SplitView/SlideOver and if devs didn’t support it (Youtube Music comes to mind)… then resizing is limited.

But for the most part… I’m still able to have multiple apps active on screen.

The iPad also needs proper external display support with no black borders to make this improved stage manager excel. Oh, and please let have have proper cursor not a dot (personal pet peeve :p).
Lol, that’s the whole point of Stage Manager feature… there is no black borders when using external display. I believe you have 2018 iPad Pro… which the feature is not supported on that model.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA

This idea of future proofing via an upgraded chip really didn’t work when I went to an M1 upgrade. Did the M2 iPad totally leapfrog the M1?

Maybe I missed something, but I think I’m not alone thinking the upgraded chips would offer some “Willy Wonka“ excitement? 😂. Will the M4 justify upgrading from the M1 or M2?

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
This idea of future proofing via an upgraded chip really didn’t work when I went to an M1 upgrade. Did the M2 iPad totally leapfrog the M1?
But it did work. The upgraded M1 chip gave us virtual memory swap and external display support.

And no, the M2 iPad didn’t totally leapfrog the M1 iPad. But did the M2 Macs leapfrog M1 Macs? I’d wager most M1 Mac users didn’t upgrade to it. Because it wasn’t a giant leap in performance.

Maybe I missed something, but I think I’m not alone thinking the upgraded chips would offer some “Willy Wonka“ excitement? 😂. Will the M4 justify upgrading from the M1 or M2?
I think if you were to judge it exclusively on performance.. would I upgrade my M1 iPad primarily for the M3 (maybe M4) chip? Heck, no.

I’d need more reason than that… OLED comes to mind, more pins (which gives us another data port for the upcoming Magic Keyboard), landscape camera and something completely different than the last five iPad Pro generations.

Reactions: pdoherty

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
But it did work. The upgraded M1 chip gave us virtual memory swap and external display support.

And no, the M2 iPad didn’t totally leapfrog the M1 iPad. But did the M2 Macs leapfrog M1 Macs? I’d wager most M1 Mac users didn’t upgrade to it. Because it wasn’t a giant leap in performance.

I think if you were to judge it exclusively on performance.. would I upgrade my M1 iPad primarily for the M3 (maybe M4) chip? Heck, no.

I’d need more reason than that… OLED comes to mind, more pins (which gives us another data port for the upcoming Magic Keyboard), landscape camera and something completely different than the last five iPad Pro generations.
Good points! Perhaps I should be judging the M1 Pad Pro by the total package. Easier to do when they finally let it loose!😁

mebehere

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2012
The better this thing starts to sound to people and the more hype that surrounds it, I have a bad feeling about getting through the checkout process quickly, especially since I have a trade-in and a gift card.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
That is for sure. I’m hoping it doesn’t turn into a huge back order experience. If that happens I wonder how large of RAM and SSD storage one must buy to avoid the backlog due to higher prices for spec upgrades?:p

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
That is for sure. I’m hoping it doesn’t turn into a huge back order experience. If that happens I wonder how large of RAM and SSD storage one must buy to avoid the backlog due to higher prices for spec upgrades?:p

Since iPads don’t seem to generate the demand iPhones have I am not worried at this stage.

Exxon87

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2022
Sorry for the question but how is it with these online events and pre order?
Normally when there was a live event on tuesdays, you could often pre order on fridays.

Will it be the same here or can you pre order right after the event is over on the 05.07?

JaysonW

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2019
Austin, TX
I have an iPad Pro and an iPad Air I'd like to trade-in/upgrade to Apple. Should I lock in today's value or wait until the new models are released? Also, I have the 11" Apple iPad keyboards, will these work with the soon-to-be release models?

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I have an iPad Pro and an iPad Air I'd like to trade-in/upgrade to Apple. Should I lock in today's value or wait until the new models are released? Also, I have the 11" Apple iPad keyboards, will these work with the soon-to-be release models?
Um... if you want more value, then obviously it’s best to do it before the new ones are released.

But I’m personally waiting to see what Apple announces before deciding what my next steps will be and we won’t know anything about whether or not the iPad keyboards are compatible until it’s in people’s hands.

Because I recall, Apple stated the latest iPad (Magic) Keyboard wasn’t compatible with older generations models... but later found out they actually worked.

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

nickyD410

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Sorry for the question but how is it with these online events and pre order?
Normally when there was a live event on tuesdays, you could often pre order on fridays.

Will it be the same here or can you pre order right after the event is over on the 05.07?
It’ll probably be available for pre order right after the video ends. The same happened when they announced the m1 MacBook pros.

erikkfi

macrumors 68000
May 19, 2017
Don't trade your iPad in to Apple. They shred them. It's part of a strategy to keep perfectly good devices off the used market.

• Haha
Reactions: Dopestdude2

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Don't trade your iPad in to Apple. They shred them. It's part of a strategy to keep perfectly good devices off the used market.

Refurbs usually pop up on the Apple Certified Refurbished store like two months after release of the new models so I feel like the trade-ins are going there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.