Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
Refurbs usually pop up on the Apple Certified Refurbished store like two months after release of the new models so I feel like the trade-ins are going there.
I hope that is the case. My spouse's old, old iPad's battery was failing. I paid Apple to put in a new battery. Instead Apple simply replaced it with another iPad that was a refurbished iPad with the same specs. We had the iPad replacement in our hands very quickly!

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
Lmfao if they can salvage a trade in and make money on it they will put it into refurbished.

Not everything is a conspiracy my dude lol
Wasn't there an article about how third parties were in fact destroying perfectly good units on behalf of Apple? So, it might be not be as crazy an idea as you think...

Dopestdude2

Suspended
Apr 19, 2022
Wasn't there an article about how third parties were in fact destroying perfectly good units on behalf of Apple? So, it might be not be as crazy an idea as you think...
Are they destroying every single one like he suggested or were they destroying ones that there cost benefit made no sense?

There’s a big difference.

erikkfi

macrumors 68000
May 19, 2017
Are they destroying every single one like he suggested or were they destroying ones that there cost benefit made no sense?

There’s a big difference.

Quote: "Even if the iPhones looked good enough for resale, Apple Inc.’s contract with GEEP ... explicitly required that every product it sent be destroyed. In Apple’s view, these devices, the kind usually disposed of at its stores or collected from trade-ins when customers upgraded to a new model, were better off scrapped for their precious metals than refurbished."

For anyone who cares about the environment: don't trade your device in to Apple. They shred them.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Angry
Reactions: Dopestdude2

Dopestdude2

Suspended
Apr 19, 2022

Quote: "Even if the iPhones looked good enough for resale, Apple Inc.’s contract with GEEP ... explicitly required that every product it sent be destroyed. In Apple’s view, these devices, the kind usually disposed of at its stores or collected from trade-ins when customers upgraded to a new model, were better off scrapped for their precious metals than refurbished."

For anyone who cares about the environment: don't trade your device in to Apple. They shred them.

It says every product sent, show me where that correlates to every single trade in Apple received? Because that reads as only the ones sent to the third party and not every single trade in like you insist. Additionally what I’m reading is Apple has that rule so that the third party doesn’t try to spin them off to refurbish themselves for a better profit than their Apple contract.

Also true that it only calls out iPhones and not iPads, good catch!

Last edited by a moderator:

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
It says every product sent, show me where that correlates to every single trade in Apple received? Because that reads as only the ones sent to the third party and not every single trade in like you insist. Additionally what I’m reading is Apple has that rule so that the third party doesn’t try to spin them off to refurbish themselves for a better profit than their Apple contract.

Also true that it only calls out iPhones and not iPads, good catch!
If you don't think that the aforementioned article at least partially damages your argument, then I guess I don't know what else to tell you. Given the secretive nature of all of this (it's in the article), we can't know the full extent. But given what we now know, it ain't good.

Dopestdude2

Suspended
Apr 19, 2022
If you don't think that the aforementioned article at least partially damages your argument, then I guess I don't know what else to tell you. Given the secretive nature of all of this (it's in the article), we can't know the full extent. But given what we now know, it ain't good.
Everything I asked is valid and is not disputed in anything he provided.

• Haha
Reactions: eltoslightfoot

Dopestdude2

Suspended
Apr 19, 2022
When someone trolls, I always use the form's ignore function so I don't have to see their posts again. I highly recommend it. Just hover over their name and click Ignore.
Yeah I’m trolling by disputing your comments? That’s something else man. Sorry I interrupted your desired echo chamber or dared to not agree with you.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I hope that is the case. My spouse's old, old iPad's battery was failing. I paid Apple to put in a new battery. Instead Apple simply replaced it with another iPad that was a refurbished iPad with the same specs. We had the iPad replacement in our hands very quickly!
Yeah, Apple doesn't bother with replacing iPad batteries. They just replace the iPad outright. That's in part why the cost of an iPad battery replacement is so steep (almost the cost of a new iPad) unless you meet the very strict requirements.

scottwiz105

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2018
Yeah, Apple doesn't bother with replacing iPad batteries. They just replace the iPad outright. That's in part why the cost of an iPad battery replacement is so steep (almost the cost of a new iPad) unless you meet the very strict requirements.
I hope at some point in the US we get similar right to repair laws as Europe. I shouldn’t have to pay for a whole device if the battery could simply just be replaced vs. being forced to pay almost the cost of new device.

Reactions: toffa813

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002

Huh?

Bildschirmfoto 2024-05-01 um 09.37.11.png

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
It wasn't always this way. The last time my iPad was having very bad battery life, I went to the Apple Store where they ran a diagnostic and told me that the battery health was still over 90%, and quoted me a price that was very close to the cost of a new iPad. I am not sure when those numbers came down but I am pretty sure it wasn't the case a year ago. 😛

Apple Mac Daz

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2011
Manchester
It wasn't always this way. The last time my iPad was having very bad battery life, I went to the Apple Store where they ran a diagnostic and told me that the battery health was still over 90%, and quoted me a price that was very close to the cost of a new iPad. I am not sure when those numbers came down but I am pretty sure it wasn't the case a year ago. 😛
Is that more because your battery is over 90% still so just want a out of warranty replacement, Than a battery replacement due to your battery going sub 80%

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Is that more because your battery is over 90% still so just want a out of warranty replacement, Than a battery replacement due to your battery going sub 80%

I am not sure. I just checked the Apple website and was quoted a similar price myself for my 2018 iPad Pro. Could be that Apple revised their battery service prices somewhere along the way and I simply didn’t get the memo. It’s actually now a little cheaper than what my nearby mobile repair shop is quoting.

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002
The other poster is right. If the battery diagnostics show 80% or higher, Apple says the battery doesn‘t need to be serviced and won‘t quote you the (quite reasonable) battery service fee.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Sorry for the question but how is it with these online events and pre order?
Normally when there was a live event on tuesdays, you could often pre order on fridays.

Will it be the same here or can you pre order right after the event is over on the 05.07?

Nobody can predict that just guess on previous releases like yourself.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Re sale on iPads is shocking
If you are expecting to get some great deal... you'd be mistaken. Sometimes it's about timing and luck plays a factor in it as well… I have a certain number that seems fair for my iPad.

I’m just uncertain about how I bundle the accessories with it (Apple Pencil & Magic Keyboard)… because I know some folks probably not care for neither an Apple Pencil or keyboard. And I likely could sell those separately (still have the boxes), but if I include it in a package deal with the iPad… possibly make it more attractive.

And then I’m curious on whether or not those accessories work with this upcoming iPad Pro. Or heck, Apple could scrap all those rumors and keep the same design (no OLED) while only adding a M3 chip, which I’d decide to keep my M1 iPad. So, yeah… come May 7th some decisions have to be made lol.

Reactions: eltoslightfoot
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.