Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Please cast your vote

• #ForstallYes

Votes: 46 27.9%
  • #ForstallNo

Votes: 119 72.1%

• Total voters

sniffies

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
somewhere warm, dark, and cozy
I do.

I vehemently hate iOS 7 and 8 for their slow like molasses animations, which in turn, took a heavy toll on the overall performance of the OS (for me at least). With iOS 6, I never had to wait another fraction of a second for animations to "complete" before I could carry on; everything was snap, snap, snap. Yes, iOS 8 somewhat improved the performance but nowhere near the speed of iOS 6.

The only positive thing about iOS 7 and 8 is the flat look, which I like. But honestly, I'd rather have the speedy skeuomorphic faux leather tackiness than the sluggish lollapalooza.

For iOS 9, I really hope the Gods give us the best of both worlds.

Last edited:

sanke1

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2010
iOS 9 is almost feature complete by now given that it will be shown off at WWDC.

However you can wish for him to be back for iOS 10.

But wishing Jonny Ives to be reshuffled and someone new in his place to desing the UI would be more sensible thinking.

Reactions: chabig

audirs5

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2014
NO thanks. I used Apple maps yesterday, again... Got me lost.. I never use Apple maps. I feel like i should give it a shot, and it has failed 100% of the time. Its incredible how horrible that application is. Ill gladly keep handling my information to google as long as I get to point B without getting lost, or without having the anxiety of getting lost.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
NO thanks. I used Apple maps yesterday, again... Got me lost.. I never use Apple maps. I feel like i should give it a shot, and it has failed 100% of the time. Its incredible how horrible that application is. Ill gladly keep handling my information to google as long as I get to point B without getting lost, or without having the anxiety of getting lost.
Well, it's more that the data can be bad, not really the application itself.

Reactions: emerezi

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Well, it's more that the data can be bad, not really the application itself.
However it came out with Scott. You can expect what users would think.
Although, maybe we would never know, the exact reason why Scott left apple, even though he should be still alive.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Even until now, Apple maps works really terrible with their Reminders app, calendars app. You know, there is a function called location based notification. Rather than using map to pinpoint a place, you can only search for it. But the odd thing is, the data is far not enough for a generally accurate searching. So, I cannot search for the exact location, and I don't know how to set up a location based reminder. I cannot say "oh, I go there, and use current location". This is not often possible!
Maps itself is still, really really bad.

Reactions: g-7

audirs5

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2014
Even until now, Apple maps works really terrible with their Reminders app, calendars app. You know, there is a function called location based notification. Rather than using map to pinpoint a place, you can only search for it. But the odd thing is, the data is far not enough for a generally accurate searching. So, I cannot search for the exact location, and I don't know how to set up a location based reminder. I cannot say "oh, I go there, and use current location". This is not often possible!
Maps itself is still, really really bad.
Its one of the worst apps ever released. period lol.. Tim Cook can't be using it himself. No way in hell. Every single time I used Apple Maps, it has gotten me lost. And I live in major cities.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Its one of the worst apps ever released. period lol.. Tim Cook can't be using it himself. No way in hell. Every single time I used Apple Maps, it has gotten me lost. And I live in major cities.
The problem, is in fact, the extreme lack of data. Does apple think twice before deciding to start from scratch? Data is the heart of map app! I can say without data, all would be nothing.
Seems apple may choose to collect all those data by itself, and gradually abandon tomtom data over time, according to several posts.

And, collecting data takes countless amount of time, and man power.

Well, let's see what apple can throw at their map app.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Considering Alan Dye was just promoted to VP User Interface under Jony Ive I don't think Scott will be coming back anytime soon. I just re-watched the platform state of the union from 2012 WWDC. Craig Federighi was one of the speakers. He was great and the crowd loved him. I'll take him over Forstall anyday.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
I think you're giving Forstall too much credit. The animations and all of that crap can be fixed relatively quick. Flat look is faster to render and less work on the GPU, that's the biggest benefit of a flat look. You can even look at WP/W8/W10 as proof of this. The problem is that the blur/transparency isn't done properly, that's slowing the interface down.

Also, animations aren't slowing anything down, it's making you think it is. Just look at any jailbreak videos with animations disabled or reduced, the system still works fine without any issues and it is relatively quick. Heck, turn on reduced motions.

Apple's just screwing up as a whole company and bringing Forstall back wouldn't fix this, they are showing horrible QA on all levels, not just the animations. You're going to tell me that Forstall would've prevented discoveryd in iOS 8 as well?

sniffies

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
I think you're giving Forstall too much credit. The animations and all of that crap can be fixed relatively quick. Flat look is faster to render and less work on the GPU, that's the biggest benefit of a flat look. You can even look at WP/W8/W10 as proof of this. The problem is that the blur/transparency isn't done properly, that's slowing the interface down. Also, animations aren't slowing anything that, it's making you think it is. Just look at any jailbreak videos with animations disabled or reduced, the system still works fine without any issues and it is relatively quick. Heck, turn on reduced motions.

Apple's just screwing up as a whole company and bringing Forstall back wouldn't fix this, they are showing horrible QA on all levels, not just the animations. You're going to tell me that Forstall would've prevented discoveryd in iOS 8 as well?
Flat look is faster to render yet it lags horribly compared to the bloated 3-dimensional iOS 6.
If it can be fixed relatively quick, why hasn't it?

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Flat look is faster to render yet it lags horribly compared to the bloated 3-dimensional iOS 6.
If it can be fixed relatively quick, why hasn't it?

You're intermixing lag and animation timer, they're not the same thing. The animation is not causing the system to lag, Apple is intentionally using a longer animation timer. If the system is lagging, the animation itself would be choppy. The fact that when you turn on reduced motion and the system feels like it is faster proves this.

Apple does not see this as a problem and as long as they think like this, they're not going to fix it. They adjusted the animations timer a few times during the iOS 8.1/8.2 beta development without any major impacts.

The current animations in iOS is set by a number, it does not cause the system to lag, it makes you think it is lagging because it is too long and doesn't stop when you tap on it (separate issue).

The moment Apple reduces the timer by half or kill it completely, iOS will feel much faster. This already has been proven with jailbreaks.

Reactions: Shirasaki

sniffies

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
You're intermixing lag and animation timer, they're not the same thing. The animation is not causing the system to lag, Apple is intentionally using a longer animation timer. If the system is lagging, the animation itself would be choppy. The fact that when you turn on reduced motion and the system feels like it is faster proves this.

Apple does not see this as a problem and as long as they think like this, they're not going to fix it. They adjusted the animations timer a few times during the iOS 8.1/8.2 beta development without any major impacts.

The current animations in iOS is set by a number, it does not cause the system to lag, it makes you think it is lagging because it is too long and doesn't stop when you tap on it (separate issue).

The moment Apple reduces the timer by half or kill it completely, iOS will feel much faster. This already has been proven with jailbreaks.
You're right but I still think iOS 7/8 is much less responsive than iOS 6. I'm surprised everyone else is ok with that.

Reactions: g-7

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
You're right but I still think iOS 7/8 is much less responsive than iOS 6. I'm surprised everyone else is ok with that.

That is mostly because people forgot what it was like in iOS 6, not that they are okay with it.

I actually like iOS 8 because of the extensions and Touch ID but I do want faster, stable, and lightweight OS.

Hopefully we'll see this tomorrow.

Reactions: sniffies

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
Before they remove the animation timer they need to clean up EVERYTHING. A LOT.

If you use an iPad and close an app with multitasking gesture, you can actually open an app while the apps are still flying in. However this stutters and chops and acts weird on my iPad. So that proves that if they do remove the timer, our app-open animations would stutter if you went too fast. That also proves that iOS needs to be cleaned up more, because that shouldn't be causing any performance issues.

Also, the translucency effects really need to be stripped out of unnecessary areas, and also just generally optimized. Why is control center over a keyboard or over "slide to unlock" so stuttery and frame-droppy on A7 (and A6?) iPads? Control center is perfectly smooth over the translucent dock, and translucent area in the safari tab view, etc, so why does it drop frames over the keyboard? Oh, and cc also lags when you have an open folder on the screen, or a share-sheet open. Even if those blurred elements aren't even being blurred again. It makes no sense. This all is obviously software related, as I'm sure the A7 iPads can handle all this.

Reactions: Shirasaki

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
Forestall ran a strict ship when it came to stability and bugs. Ios6 was the most polished iOS version. While I do prefer the IOS7/8 look I do think that there needs to be a very deep clean up update that perhaps optimizes and reduces code base.

Apple is lucky in that they have only <10 models of hardware that's run on a billion devices they should be able to really optimitize performance for each of these devices considering they know what hardware has what power they even designed the damn CPU. An iPhone 4s should still be able to run IOS8 without lag or slowing down to how it does now..

Reactions: Beeplance

Dennison

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2015
United States
Gathering from what I've read about Scott's departure, he had to go because of far more important logistical reasons. We the consumers, and Apple, are far better off with Alan Dye and Craig Federighi leading the iOS platform.

As far as my opinion about iOS goes, this:
I absolutely love the direction Apple is taking it with iOS 7 and iOS 8.

I have encountered a few more bugs on iOS 8, compared with all of the versions I've used since iOS 3. This appears to be a slight quality control issue with it's release, kind of like when they had to retract an update after a day that prevented iPhones from making phone calls. This was fixed almost immediately though, and the bigger problem with iOS 8 is how big it is. Some still can't install it because their 16GB iPhone doesn't have enough storage. So the two problems with iOS 8 is some quality control and the sheer size of the software. These are both caused by a platform that has gotten feature heavy.

iOS 8 is still the best version I've ever used, and I really couldn't imagine living without some of it's features.

Reactions: JoEw

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
FMF map works wonders. Here is Sarasota present day.

A lot of restaurants in the middle of a field, along with an Apple Store.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 295

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Of course it won't happen, but I always thought Forstall did an amazing job with iOS and skeuomorphism.
It was great for its time. But I find myself loving the new look of iOS 7 more and more each day and I can't imagine going back to anything remotely resembling ios6 look.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.