Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Please cast your vote

• #ForstallYes

Votes: 46 27.9%
  • #ForstallNo

Votes: 119 72.1%

• Total voters

mncmoore

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2008
I highly doubt if he even wants to own an apple product now. So no he will never be back

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy
It's not hard to have stability and few bugs when iOS 6 hardly introduced any new features. I still view 2012 as Apple's lost year.

Exactly. He let Android catch up feature wise and pass iOS. Basic features, like control center, should have been on iOS long before iOS 7. I may not like some of the icons as well, or a few more bugs, but feature wise Apple has leaped ahead of where they were with Forstall at the helm.

Thank God Tim chose Bob Mansfield and Ive over Forstall because it seemed like those two were especially fed up with Forstall.

Reactions: valleian

byke

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2007
LDN. UK
I know its not the thing to say on the Apple forum, but I really think Xiaomi do a better job of GUI than Apple does. Which is ironic considering that its a rip off of IOS.

Theophil1971

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2015
USA
NO thanks. I used Apple maps yesterday, again... Got me lost.. I never use Apple maps. I feel like i should give it a shot, and it has failed 100% of the time. Its incredible how horrible that application is. Ill gladly keep handling my information to google as long as I get to point B without getting lost, or without having the anxiety of getting lost.
You must have really bad luck. I use apple maps all the time, and haven't gotten lost since one time in its earliest days. I use it in multiple states, and it works just fine for me. By contrast, I was in Atlanta on business recently, and a colleague used Google Maps to navigate us in the rental car from the airport. Google Maps couldn't even get us from the rental car center to the freeway accurately. It had us wandering blindly through a series of parking lots. But when I fired up my iPhone and launched apple maps, it got us exactly where we needed to be.

baller1308

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2009
I know its not the thing to say on the Apple forum, but I really think Xiaomi do a better job of GUI than Apple does. Which is ironic considering that its a rip off of IOS.
They are kind of taking a bit from Apple and Google.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
0.jpg

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
Its one of the worst apps ever released. period lol.. Tim Cook can't be using it himself. No way in hell. Every single time I used Apple Maps, it has gotten me lost. And I live in major cities.

I use Apple Maps all the time in the suburbs and it has never given me a problem. Even when I use it to go into LA, never had a problem. I personally think a lot of these complaints people have come up with are bogus (no offense intended). I have used Apple Maps and the turn-by-turn navigation since iOS 6 to great success. Even when navigating through old town, narrow one-way street areas it has yet to steer me wrong.

I have used Google too and it works fine but I'd prefer not to become a target for mass advertisement about rash cream because I used their maps to go to the pharmacy to pick up bandages.

I highly doubt if he even wants to own an apple product now. So no he will never be back

He said in an interview "I am delighted that they continue to turn out great and beloved products.” Click here for it. I think that pretty much infers that yes, he does still use an Apple product. I just wonder if its an iPhone 5 running iOS 6 lol.

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy
I use Apple Maps all the time in the suburbs and it has never given me a problem. Even when I use it to go into LA, never had a problem. I personally think a lot of these complaints people have come up with are bogus (no offense intended). I have used Apple Maps and the turn-by-turn navigation since iOS 6 to great success. Even when navigating through old town, narrow one-way street areas it has yet to steer me wrong.

I have used Google too and it works fine but I'd prefer not to become a target for mass advertisement about rash cream because I used their maps to go to the pharmacy to pick up bandages.

He said in an interview "I am delighted that they continue to turn out great and beloved products.” Click here for it. I think that pretty much infers that yes, he does still use an Apple product. I just wonder if its an iPhone 5 running iOS 6 lol.

LOL @ iOS6

Apple maps has worked very well for me as well. There have been a few minor issues. and address on the wrong side of the street once or twice, driving me to the back of a rural property than the front, but those are minor quibbles. Overall, my experience has been better than Mapquest, not quite as good as Google maps, but close. If they get serious about street view, and once they have as much development time as Google has into their own mapping system, I think Apple maps will be neck and neck with Google.

Reactions: iamMacPerson

minimo3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010
skeuomorphism was good when smartphones were taking off and it helped people relate to the software and have some resemblance of real life objects...I could never go back to it.

You do realize that ios 7/8/9 is chock full of skeumorphism dressed in neon colors:

- A old school landline telephone handset to represent phone
- A paper envelope to represent email!!
- A compass to represent safari
- A legal notepad to represent Notes
- A book to represent iBooks
- Gears to represent settings
- A rolodex to represent contacts (I bet most people here have never owned/used a rolodex)
- An SLR camera to represent camera
- A clapboard to represent movies
- A paper bag to represent apple store
..... I could go on

To get a true minimalist, bauhaus type look in iOS, the icons would be devoid of text or images, with each app represented by a different color. We'd just have to remember that cyan means email, and forest green means messaging.

robertcoogan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2008
Joshua Tree, California
NO thanks. I used Apple maps yesterday, again... Got me lost.. I never use Apple maps. I feel like i should give it a shot, and it has failed 100% of the time. Its incredible how horrible that application is. Ill gladly keep handling my information to google as long as I get to point B without getting lost, or without having the anxiety of getting lost.

Bear in mind that when Google Maps first came out, it had a ton of problems as well. Apple Maps has come a long way, and is bound to improve.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.