Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
We have 3 Apple Silicon MacBooks. M1 Air, 2 M1 Pros, 14 and 16. No screen problems at all. The Air was purchased early 2021 and the M1 Pros in late 2021. This was before Apple's China manufacturing problems summer 2022.

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
There is a serious issue with the design of these machines. My family had several types: M1 Air - horrible keyboard marks on the screen after 1 year of light use, and barely any travel. Luckily we managed to have it exchanged.
14 M1 MBP - keyboard marks started to show up after 3 weeks of use (no travel and daily cleanwiping the keyboard).
We started to use microfibre sheets between the keyboards/screen and the issue is gone, but this is ridiculous.

This already happened to my MacBook Pro in 2012. the trackpad and space bar scratched the coating on the screen. So ridiculous but at least they replaced it for free since I had purchased it directly with Apple and was still in my 24 months window

Reactions: Saturn007

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
This already happened to my MacBook Pro in 2012. the trackpad and space bar scratched the coating on the screen. So ridiculous but at least they replaced it for free since I had purchased it directly with Apple and was still in my 24 months window

We've had MacBooks since 2007 and have never had these problems. I currently have a 2007, 2014, 2015, and 2021.

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

newmacxc

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2022
All screens from 2016 MBP onwards dents and forms dimple very easily.

These screens are very soft and easily dent i have multiple dents on my screen. firstly i thoughts these are dusts then on wiping these were little depressions on the screen.

okkibs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2022
I’ve been saying it for years but nobody really cares. I’ve always said I would take OLED over a ProMotion LCD, this includes miniLED, any day of the week.
People are in denial or dont know any better.
...and Apple is likely switching to OLED panels as soo as those can match the HDR brightness of the miniLED at a reasonable cost and without killing battery life. Obviously they won't go back from advertising the Mac's XDR stuff to regular SDR panels.

Erkinshadow

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2008
Scranton PA
I have the same issue on my M1 air. The mark, more like a very small chip in the glass on the black bar around the screen. It’s not over the pixels so I ignore nor It.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Don't worry folks, we're only at "GateCon 5".

There's a long way to go before this thing plays out. In the meantime, I suggest that those who are bothered by the issue should return or sell their affected units and buy a different Macbook model.

Here's the typical cycle for problems reported on Apple products:
1. A few members post reports of the problem, report it to Apple
2. No response from Apple
3. Increased number of people report the issue
4. No response from Apple
5. Apple apologists dismiss the reports as very rare, the result of trolling, or exaggeration by drama queens
6. Even more reports of the problem
7. No response from Apple
8. News of the problem hits blogs
9. Apple apologists dismiss the blogs as simply engaging in clickbait
10. No response from Apple
11. Those affected by the issue threaten a class-action lawsuit
12. Apple apologists decry the "sue happy" nature of American consumers
13. Apple acknowledges the legitimacy of the problem
14. Apple apologists are silent
15. Apple release an update to correct the problem
or
15. They set up a "program" to address the problem.
16. Apple gains some positive publicity
17. Apple apologists applaud Apple for doing the "right thing". (for an issue that they said from day-1 was not actually an issue)
18. First hand experience with the “program” reveals very strict guidelines and restrictions that greatly reduce the number of affected customers that can participate in the program.

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
Ridiculous indeed.

In the past year or so, I discovered something else. That rubber gasket that runs around the edges of the screen has begun to deteriorate leaving black marks on the bottom lid when closed. This is the black rubber gasket that helps to provide some distance between the top and bottom lid. My laptop is a 2017. Granted, it's not new, but it's not really that old either! I expect the rubber to last at least for over a decade!

Reactions: Saturn007

avkills

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
We're talking about response time and not refresh rate here.

Set both displays to 60hz (and throw in your average windows laptop in that price range at 60hz as well) run the test and you'll see what we're talking about. Embarrassing in a machine this expensive.
Please let me know the scientific method you are using to measure response time other than your eyes. I am not saying the Mac is better or worse; I work with PCs that have 1080p screen with very fast response times, so I get what your saying, just that in *most* usage scenarios it isn't a problem. Pretty sure the response time has to be at least as fast as the *basic* refresh rate, which is 60hz which would be ~ 16ms....but.....

Article with info, this is an article where they have actually measured it with equipment (oscilloscope) and yes it appears that the response time is not good ~ 40-70ms (black/white, 50% gray/80%gray.) But the article also says for day to day usage it isn't a problem, only gaming where it could be annoying.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Ridiculous indeed.

In the past year or so, I discovered something else. That rubber gasket that runs around the edges of the screen has begun to deteriorate leaving black marks on the bottom lid when closed. This is the black rubber gasket that helps to provide some distance between the top and bottom lid. My laptop is a 2017. Granted, it's not new, but it's not really that old either! I expect the rubber to last at least for over a decade!

I had the gasket problem with the 2015. I brought it in to the store and they took it out back and fixed it. That was back in 2021.

Reactions: msackey

matchaatea

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2022
i have a macbook pro 16".
i saw a circular small pit sized whole. might've been a grain of sand from travelling in bali and editing. i recently got it replaced through apple online. i would attach the pictures but i can't find it anymore. was under warranty. normally i think $1500 aud+?
i got lucky :3

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
They've done out-of-warranty stuff for me before too. Maybe the store is a bit loose on repairs. It only took them 5-10 minutes to do. Or maybe the repair section in the back wasn't busy.
That’s great. I think when repairs are small and easy like that, managers should have the discretion to offer it for free because it keeps relations happy. I don’t know if that’s their policy but it’s a good one to have.

Reactions: arkitect

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
That’s great. I think when repairs are small and easy like that, managers should have the discretion to offer it for free because it keeps relations happy. I don’t know if that’s their policy but it’s a good one to have.

My approach is that it doesn't hurt to ask. The worst that could happen is that they say no.

Reactions: throAU and msackey

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Regarding Apple MacBook QC issues: I didn't buy MacBooks from the 2016 - 2019 years because of the reports about keyboards, thermals, display cables and the touchbar. A lot of these problems showed up within a year or two of purchase with numbers that were concerning. I spoke to our IT guy at work a couple of years ago and asked if there were problems with those models and he told me no. So I saw a lot of cases on the boards but there were a lot of people that didn't have them. Apple redesigned their MacBooks so it's pretty clear that there were issues.

My 2021 MacBook Pro 16 is a little over 2 years. Same with our son. Our daughter's is almost 3 years old. We haven't had any problems with ours. It's possible that there are problems with the screens but nobody knows if it's 2%, 5%, 10%, 20%. Or if it's specific batches given all of the problems that Apple had with China in 2022.

What we did in the Studio forum on the whine issue is took a poll and I think that it came down to a fairly small but significant minority.

TruthAboveAllElse

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2023
Don't worry folks, we're only at "GateCon 5".

There's a long way to go before this thing plays out. In the meantime, I suggest that those who are bothered by the issue should return or sell their affected units and buy a different Macbook model.

Here's the typical cycle for problems reported on Apple products:
1. A few members post reports of the problem, report it to Apple
2. No response from Apple
3. Increased number of people report the issue
4. No response from Apple
5. Apple apologists dismiss the reports as very rare, the result of trolling, or exaggeration by drama queens
6. Even more reports of the problem
7. No response from Apple
8. News of the problem hits blogs
9. Apple apologists dismiss the blogs as simply engaging in clickbait
10. No response from Apple
11. Those affected by the issue threaten a class-action lawsuit
12. Apple apologists decry the "sue happy" nature of American consumers
13. Apple acknowledges the legitimacy of the problem
14. Apple apologists are silent
15. Apple release an update to correct the problem
or
15. They set up a "program" to address the problem.
16. Apple gains some positive publicity
17. Apple apologists applaud Apple for doing the "right thing". (for an issue that they said from day-1 was not actually an issue)
18. First hand experience with the “program” reveals very strict guidelines and restrictions that greatly reduce the number of affected customers that can participate in the program.
I think that there may be a conflation of the people who are applauding Apple at the end, and the people denying the issue at earlier points. Some may do both, but what percentage overlaps? And what does that percentage drop to when you subtract people that are saying something along the line of, “this was never that big of an issue, but it’s nice they did something.”

Reactions: Timpetus

Reggaenald

Suspended
Sep 26, 2021
There is a serious issue with the design of these machines. My family had several types: M1 Air - horrible keyboard marks on the screen after 1 year of light use, and barely any travel. Luckily we managed to have it exchanged.
14 M1 MBP - keyboard marks started to show up after 3 weeks of use (no travel and daily cleanwiping the keyboard).
We started to use microfibre sheets between the keyboards/screen and the issue is gone, but this is ridiculous.
My old gen MacBook Pro has a display discoloration where the metal strip between the trackpad and keyboard has pressed against the screen, with a clearance of less than half a millimeter that’s not surprising… luckily they abandoned this design completely and went with thicker screens for their recent designs

Reggaenald

Suspended
Sep 26, 2021
Regarding Apple MacBook QC issues: I didn't buy MacBooks from the 2016 - 2019 years because of the reports about keyboards, thermals, display cables and the touchbar. A lot of these problems showed up within a year or two of purchase with numbers that were concerning. I spoke to our IT guy at work a couple of years ago and asked if there were problems with those models and he told me no. So I saw a lot of cases on the boards but there were a lot of people that didn't have them. Apple redesigned their MacBooks so it's pretty clear that there were issues.

My 2021 MacBook Pro 16 is a little over 2 years. Same with our son. Our daughter's is almost 3 years old. We haven't had any problems with ours. It's possible that there are problems with the screens but nobody knows if it's 2%, 5%, 10%, 20%. Or if it's specific batches given all of the problems that Apple had with China in 2022.

What we did in the Studio forum on the whine issue is took a poll and I think that it came down to a fairly small but significant minority.
Out of curiosity, what is a „fairly small but significant minority“? :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.