Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Out of curiosity, what is a „fairly small but significant minority“? :D

Surfsalot

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2023
Don't worry folks, we're only at "GateCon 5".

There's a long way to go before this thing plays out. In the meantime, I suggest that those who are bothered by the issue should return or sell their affected units and buy a different Macbook model.

Here's the typical cycle for problems reported on Apple products:
1. A few members post reports of the problem, report it to Apple
2. No response from Apple
3. Increased number of people report the issue
4. No response from Apple
5. Apple apologists dismiss the reports as very rare, the result of trolling, or exaggeration by drama queens
6. Even more reports of the problem
7. No response from Apple
8. News of the problem hits blogs
9. Apple apologists dismiss the blogs as simply engaging in clickbait
10. No response from Apple
11. Those affected by the issue threaten a class-action lawsuit
12. Apple apologists decry the "sue happy" nature of American consumers
13. Apple acknowledges the legitimacy of the problem
14. Apple apologists are silent
15. Apple release an update to correct the problem
or
15. They set up a "program" to address the problem.
16. Apple gains some positive publicity
17. Apple apologists applaud Apple for doing the "right thing". (for an issue that they said from day-1 was not actually an issue)
18. First hand experience with the “program” reveals very strict guidelines and restrictions that greatly reduce the number of affected customers that can participate in the program.
So you recommend selling to some other poor sucker 😂

Surfsalot

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2023
I haven't found anything not to like, yet, with the M3 pro. My first MBP was in 2012 and the MBP sure has come a long way since then.
My wife is still using a 2013 MBP 13" mainly for email, bit slow but still works fine, was a apple refurb.

Beau10

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2008
US based digital nomad
We're talking about response time and not refresh rate here.

Set both displays to 60hz (and throw in your average windows laptop in that price range at 60hz as well) run the test and you'll see what we're talking about. Embarrassing in a machine this expensive.
Just fwiw, this is not new information. Notebookcheck has shown Apple silicon mini-led screens to have poor pixel response (~30-70ms) since the original 14/16 release and not recommended for multiplayer fps or the like.

No need to have people do scrolling tests on websites or display certain backgrounds. Just link to any Apple silicon era 14/16 review from there.

Yes it’s unfortunate but it’s a consequence how mini led was implemented on these displays. It will of course be fixed with OLED.

Last edited:

redpandadev

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2014
Customer support does not seem to have an entry to executive levels. How does Apple know something is wrong if you cannot even send in these issues letting them know?
You getting it repaired is all of the notification they need. The repair system is used to track common and emerging issues. If this is widespread, they already know.

Reactions: Timpetus and pshufd

Surfsalot

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2023
I haven't found anything not to like, yet, with the M3 pro. My first MBP was in 2012 and the MBP sure has come a long way since then.
Arrived today, such a nice screen much nice than the air’s. After migrating from my iMac the 512gb is half full, wondering if I should swap it for the 1TB. I have 200Gb of family photos/videos I like to keep on board.
Also is the 1TB faster not that this seems slow?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Arrived today, such a nice screen much nice than the air’s. After migrating from my iMac the 512gb is half full, wondering if I should swap it for the 1TB. I have 200Gb of family photos/videos I like to keep on board.
Sounds like you need the 1TB. As to SSD speed, traditionally the 1TB + models have been faster than the others. I do not recall if that is the case this year.

Reactions: Surfsalot

rulymammoth

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2015
I was really pumped for my M3 Macbook Pro as I posted. But when I did a side by side with the MSI GE67HX which has a 240Hz 1440p OLED display from Samsung with 130% P3 Color and really great deep Blacks. Cue DJ turn table screeching halt sounds.

I ran the UFO Blur test. And It was game over for the M3 Macbook Pro display. People are in denial or dont know any better.
But if we're in denial and don't know any better then maybe we're fine?

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire

I went with 1 TB. My normal usage is 400 GB but I can keep it to 300 GB if I'm good at cleaning things up. It's just far more comfortable with 1 TB and I do plan on keeping this as my primary MacBook for 4-8 years.

Reactions: Surfsalot

nottorp

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2014
Romania
Thank you! I just checked the three Apple Silicon laptops we have at home: my older M1 Max does have a few dimples on the display, can’t see anything on the M3 machine. My partners laptop is fine too.

I think @john123 is correct with their explanation. The newer display material might be easier to damage and chip. Since these are all really minor cosmetic damages which are not noticeable under normal usage, I don’t really see this as an issue. But I understand if some users feel like this is not a premium experience they expected.
Interesting. Because I use my laptops outdoors a lot and apparently Apple doesn't test their devices outdoors. [1]

The stupid emoji keyboard started to have trouble for me in just 3 months.

Looks like if i get a Mx laptop the screen will get scratched in 3 months or less because it's impossible to clean all dust before closing the laptop if you use it daily on a balcony...

[1] ... any more. I have a bunch of pre emoji keyboard laptops and they're just fine thank you, in spite of being ancient by now and having been subjected to the same usage patterns.

MarkNewton2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2023
Everyone.

Ever since Apple released the new Macbook Pro 14- and 16 inch the screens have been horrible.

All the screens come with some sort of damages that are visible with certain lighting.

The company has ordered 20 Macbook Pros and have had 5 screen replacement all bought and serviced by Apple.

They all came with some sort of scratches or dents/holes in the screen straight out of the box.

Searching the internet shows results of similar cases. For the record all the cases out company had were new units and inspected upon unboxing and or back from service replacement.

Why is nobody talking about this, having soo many faulty units shows that something is wrong on a production level.

How are we able to send Apple a message about this? This is no coincidence and has been on going since the M1 and the M3.

Customer support does not seem to have an entry to executive levels. How does Apple know something is wrong if you cannot even send in these issues letting them know?

Edit: