Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

poorcody

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2013
I've always used a wallet case with my iPhone, containing credit cards and such. I'm guessing the MagSafe magnets are going to be strong enough to jeopardize the magnetic information on my cards. Anyone have any insight on this?

jp1212

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2015
OBX
I too would hope this has been thoroughly thought out, but for years I have used a money clip/card holder type wallet with a magnetic closure and demagnetized enough hotel keys, building access cards, gym cards, etc. to keep count.

Reactions: motulist

poorcody

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2013
I too would hope this has been thoroughly thought out, but for years I have used a money clip/card holder type wallet with a magnetic closure and demagnetized enough hotel keys, building access cards, gym cards, etc. to keep count.
Yeah, I've done that too. I have a metal plate in my wallet that I use to mount the phone to a magnetic holder in the car. A couple of times I have accidentally placed a card between the plate and the magnet, and the stripes did get erased. So I know it's a real risk...

Reactions: motulist

poorcody

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2013
Reactions: duanepatrick

oVerboost

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2013
United Kingdom
Magnet within the iPhone is double shielded, so that might help protect this from happening.

Pretty sure it won't cause issues considering they sell a magnetic card holder, although that in itself is also shielded as well. Cannot imagine Apple opening themselves up for media stories and potential claims etc.

Ortiz83

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2018
I’m assuming you have to take it off to charge the iPhone? You can’t charge it with the wallet on? Which is not a problem but just wanted to make sure.

duanepatrick

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2019
I’m assuming you have to take it off to charge the iPhone? You can’t charge it with the wallet on? Which is not a problem but just wanted to make sure.

Yes? I think it should act like a wireless charger: close contact at all times.

Henk Poley

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2008
Since 2012 basically no payment terminal in The Netherlands accepts magnet strips anymore due to it being way too easy to copy. Where is this still used?

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
Unlike Europe where all cards are CHIP & PIN, we US folks are using CHIP & SIGN with the newer EMV chipped cards.
And older cards I have are still swipe and sign.

When I was in Europe last year before the pandemic, every time I used my US issue credit card, a little strip of thermal receipt slip printed out and I had to sign it much to the dismay of the cashier / waitstaff / etc...

saber32au

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2019
Since 2012 basically no payment terminal in The Netherlands accepts magnet strips anymore due to it being way too easy to copy. Where is this still used?

IIRC Australia switched over in 2014. Most people stopped using mag strips years earlier, and instead were using "chip & pin code verification" well before 2014!

Literally everywhere in the US.

Crazy isn't it? Is it still the case the US mostly uses the "chip and signature" verification method, not the "chip and pin" method most commonly found outside of North America?

If your card is stolen, it's much easier to forge a signature (found on the back the card) compared to guessing a 4-12 digit pin!

Reactions: Henk Poley

poorcody

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2013
To anyone with an iPhone wallet and "tap" card, what happens when you try to use Apple Pay? If the terminal sees multiple "things" that can pay with tap, is it just random which one it grabs?

I have been putting the "tap" cards in RFID sleeves in my wallet because I didn't know how this might work, but it is a pain.

I have to say, enough stores in the US now take Apple Pay I am considering leaving the credit cards at home, maybe carry one.

poorcody

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2013
Yes, unfortunately. That's why I still charge with a dock/cable. But if the wallet quickly snaps on and off with MagSafe, this might make it easy enough.

Ortiz83

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2018
Yes, unfortunately. That's why I still charge with a dock/cable. But if the wallet quickly snaps on and off with MagSafe, this might make it easy enough.

Thanks for clarifying. I don’t have a problem taking it off to charge. Just wanted to see if it was possible. Thanks again.

bodonnell202

macrumors 68030
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
IIRC Australia switched over in 2014. Most people stopped using mag strips years earlier, and instead were using "chip & pin code verification" well before 2014!

Crazy isn't it? Is it still the case the US mostly uses the "chip and signature" verification method, not the "chip and pin" method most commonly found outside of North America?
Don't lump Canada in with the Americans here! We've been using chip and pin for more than a decade. We've had tap for a long time as well although previously it was mostly only used for small purchases but since Covid started that banks have all upped the maximum for tap and now we can use it for large purchases too.

Reactions: OddyOh

bodonnell202

macrumors 68030
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
To anyone with an iPhone wallet and "tap" card, what happens when you try to use Apple Pay? If the terminal sees multiple "things" that can pay with tap, is it just random which one it grabs?

I have been putting the "tap" cards in RFID sleeves in my wallet because I didn't know how this might work, but it is a pain.

I have to say, enough stores in the US now take Apple Pay I am considering leaving the credit cards at home, maybe carry one.
Tap only works if the card is literally within a few mm of the machine (you basically have to tap it on the machine). If my debit card and credit cards with tap are in my pocket and I use Apple Pay there's no confusion as to what card it uses - it only uses the card that comes within a few mm of the spot on the machine you need to "tap".

See below for what I mean:
tap.jpg

Reactions: OddyOh

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
I put my phone in front of my wallet in my pocket, getting a 12 with a MagSafe case, will this damage my cards?

poorcody

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2013
Tap only works if the card is literally within a few mm of the machine (you basically have to tap it on the machine). If my debit card and credit cards with tap are in my pocket and I use Apple Pay there's no confusion as to what card it uses - it only uses the card that comes within a few mm of the spot on the machine you need to "tap".
Thanks, but I think you missed what I was saying: if the credit card is in a wallet case on the back of an iPhone. So it is between the iPhone and the reader. Put another way, if you tapped a stack of tappable cards against a terminal, what would happen?

BeauGiles

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2008
Sydney, Australia

Best case scenario, terminal should error if you present multiple cards at the same time.
Worst case, it'll randomly pick one.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018

Lots of places in the USA. I loved the Netherlands. I even used Apple Pay to use the water closets at train stations.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.