Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bodonnell202

macrumors 68030
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Thanks, but I think you missed what I was saying: if the credit card is in a wallet case on the back of an iPhone. So it is between the iPhone and the reader. Put another way, if you tapped a stack of tappable cards against a terminal, what would happen?
Oh sorry, I missed the iPhone wallet case bit. My bad. Honestly I’m not sure, but if the case is shielded it should just pick up Apple Pay.

Reactions: poorcody

bandrews

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Best case scenario, terminal should error if you present multiple cards at the same time.
Worst case, it'll randomly pick one.

On the tube in London you have to beware of "card clash" if you tap your wallet with more than one contactless card in. It can result in the gate registering the wrong card which means you get overcharged (end up paying 2 x maximum fares rather than your actual fare). You need to tap in and out with the same card.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Where in the US are folks having to swipe their cards anymore vs using chip?

I sometimes have to insert my card into the terminal such as if I'm at one of the places not taking ApplePay (Kroger, Walmart), but can't remember having to swipe a card in quite a while.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018

I sometimes have to insert my card into the terminal such as if I'm at one of the places not taking ApplePay (Kroger, Walmart), but can't remember having to swipe a card in quite a while.

Practically every gas station I go to.

poorcody

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2013

Gas pumps for one seem to mostly still be swiped versus chip in my experience.

Reactions: MisterSavage

bodonnell202

macrumors 68030
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Gas pumps for one seem to mostly still be swiped versus chip in my experience.
Ugh... brings me back to my horrific experience trying to buy gas in the US thinking I'd be fine with my Canadian credit card. I swipe and it wants a zip code. In Canada we have postal codes that are made up of letters and numbers - there is only a keypad. I ended up having to find an ATM (who uses cash anymore??)

Reactions: Zazoh

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Interesting - the ones I've visited lately have been chip, even some NFC readers. Quiktrip / Racetrac / Sams / Costco.

If it says "remove quickly" when you put your card in I bet that's magnetic strip. My Costco has NFC readers but they put stickers over them. You can only use Apple Pay at the registers.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Since 2012 basically no payment terminal in The Netherlands accepts magnet strips anymore due to it being way too easy to copy. Where is this still used?
It's a fallback method in some regions. In my country, although we have moved to chip and pin, the banks still use the magnetic reader for some of their own ATMs and terminals.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
In my country, although we have moved to chip and pin, the banks still use the magnetic reader for some of their own ATMs and terminals.

In my area of the US, my bank (Wells Fargo) allows NFC for the ATM - so my debit/atm card works via ApplePay to authenticate to the ATM. They also have a phone app feature to generate a one-time code that you use with your PIN at the ATM to authenticate. I've not carried my physical ATM card in years.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
In my area of the US, my bank (Wells Fargo) allows NFC for the ATM - so my debit/atm card works via ApplePay to authenticate to the ATM. They also have a phone app feature to generate a one-time code that you use with your PIN at the ATM to authenticate. I've not carried my physical ATM card in years.
Well, we're not there yet. :D

Reactions: deeddawg

charles4515

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2008
Ugh... brings me back to my horrific experience trying to buy gas in the US thinking I'd be fine with my Canadian credit card. I swipe and it wants a zip code. In Canada we have postal codes that are made up of letters and numbers - there is only a keypad. I ended up having to find an ATM (who uses cash anymore??)

Pay inside. Tap and Pay is coming. Some pumps have it.

bodonnell202

macrumors 68030
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Pay inside. Tap and Pay is coming. Some pumps have it.
For some reason I couldn’t do that either but I can’t remember why. It might’ve been late and pay at the pump was the only option ?‍♂️

Edit: although how could I use cash then? I think I actually ended up going to a different gas station. That was years ago, maybe it’s better now.

Zazoh

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
Let’s say this. If someone said, hey build me a charging replacement that is clunky, heavy, requires all new cases and poses risk to existing payment methods, this is it.

I’m sure it is the first step on a journey. But we already have two charging methods that work. I wish they would have tried it on the pro models, because I don’t buy those, first. ?

Reactions: Infinitewisdom

Infinitewisdom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
The INSIDE might be shielded, but the outside probably is not, otherwise how would the magnets still work?

also, consider this: someone mentioned that the wallet can detach just by putting it in your pocket. You would think they would’ve taken this into account when designing the product. Nope.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
The INSIDE might be shielded, but the outside probably is not, otherwise how would the magnets still work?

also, consider this: someone mentioned that the wallet can detach just by putting it in your pocket. You would think they would’ve taken this into account when designing the product. Nope.
I saw the video and he was wearing super tight pants. I think people just need to be careful. I can use the wallet as a wallet if need be.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.