Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

playtech1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2014
Here is a superb review. Not in English, but very watchable with closed-captioning. The level of depth and analysis put many of the others to shame.
This review is exactly the kind of thing I want out of a YouTube first look and I commend it to anyone interested in the new iPads.

I feel like a lot of YouTube tech reviewers have lost their mojo lately. They just don't seem all that interested in the products they are reviewing and are happy to regurgitate supplied talking points or making obvious observations without providing much original insight or showing real curiosity about the product. I felt the same way about when the various M3 laptop reviews landed and it seemed like the only thing worth talking about was how well one of the colours showed fingerprints.

Webcat86

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2022
This review is exactly the kind of thing I want out of a YouTube first look and I commend it to anyone interested in the new iPads.

I feel like a lot of YouTube tech reviewers have lost their mojo lately. They just don't seem all that interested in the products they are reviewing and are happy to regurgitate supplied talking points or making obvious observations without providing much original insight or showing real curiosity about the product. I felt the same way about when the various M3 laptop reviews landed and it seemed like the only thing worth talking about was how well one of the colours showed fingerprints.
Agreed, that video was superb. I watched a couple last night and they just weren’t very good. I had to turn Justina off because it was just fluff. Dave’s was mercifully short but other than mentioning the multi-cam capabilities there was no substance. It’s all just a rehash of “they’re thin and the screen is better.” The Chinese video was the most in-depth, with real world usage and comparisons, with excellent detail on the MKB and pencil too.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Agreed, that video was superb. I watched a couple last night and they just weren’t very good. I had to turn Justina off because it was just fluff. Dave’s was mercifully short but other than mentioning the multi-cam capabilities there was no substance. It’s all just a rehash of “they’re thin and the screen is better.” The Chinese video was the most in-depth, with real world usage and comparisons, with excellent detail on the MKB and pencil too.
For me the best review was that from iPhonedo, but this one is a good one too

Reactions: Camzor

bscheffel

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2008
Which are the reviews from YouTubers who aren’t annoying?
I liked the Brian Tong reviewers - he did a decent job of comparing this gen to last gen and comparing the accessories to previous ones and interoperability. He also showed that Pencil 2 can't be used on the new Pro's.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
The only major difference with OLED is contrast and that’s the thing most will notice for who come from 2018 iPads.
It’s also more color-accurate according to some reviews, and you get 1000 nits SDR brightness, which a couple of reviews showcased outdoors in direct comparison to the LCD, where you could see that it’s dramatically brighter.

Reactions: asleep

aurora_sect

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2022
There is no meaningful review to be seen this early. We already know the features, iPads have been around for a long time now and I've had one for seven years now. I know what to expect. The reviews are just someone telling you what they think you might prefer. Just read the specs.

Now, if there is some common defect or something I'd appreciate a review that mentions it but I don't think that's going to be determined within 24 hours of getting one.

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
My main gripe with tech reviewers is that they're aimed at very niche audiences. Like yeah, I'm a MacRumors user so I'm part of that niche, but I often watch reviews pretending I'm an average consumer who knows nothing about technical details and I just think, "this is hell." There are way too many reviewers who just spend most or all the video going over specs and repeating the exact same points that a hundred other reviewers have already made, and it never occurs to them to just describe the user exp in objective and understandable terms.

Webcat86

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2022
My main gripe with tech reviewers is that they're aimed at very niche audiences. Like yeah, I'm a MacRumors user so I'm part of that niche, but I often watch reviews pretending I'm an average consumer who knows nothing about technical details and I just think, "this is hell." There are way too many reviewers who just spend most or all the video going over specs and repeating the exact same points that a hundred other reviewers have already made, and it never occurs to them to just describe the user exp in objective and understandable terms.
Yeah they’ve all been talking about nits and I still don’t know what that means. I know it’s about brightness, but I wouldn’t look at the numbers and think “oh perfect, look at all those nits!”

AirpodsNow

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2017
Can I give my 2 cents? The OLED display is in my opinion the biggest change to iPad since the very first one launched in 2010. I think it’s a massive upgrade.
I agree as well, the OLED display is great. But I got cold feet again after Dave2D says it’s not that much different with the LCD. It’s not massively different in screen quality, because the LCD was also very good.

AirpodsNow

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2017
The only major difference with OLED is contrast and that’s the thing most will notice for who come from 2018 iPads.
I saw somewhere that also the response time of the ipad Pro screens have gone down. especially those that play games will notice improvements. Is that true?

ToastedCashew

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2023
I agree as well, the OLED display is great. But I got cold feet again after Dave2D says it’s not that much different with the LCD. It’s not massively different in screen quality, because the LCD was also very good.
For the average person sure. But OLED is a massive upgrade if you appreciate visual quality and HDR, for any device. After owning an oled tv, I went on a mission to replace every lcd screen I could.

AirpodsNow

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2017
For the average person sure. But OLED is a massive upgrade if you appreciate visual quality and HDR, for any device. After owning an oled tv, I went on a mission to replace every lcd screen I could.
it's true that I appreciate my iPhone pro, which is the first time I got ProMotion on an iOS device. It's nice way of reading things. Currently on an iPad Air 2020, and it's just not the same. So I'm on the fence to get a Pro, especially for promotion. So "to OLED or not to OLED" that's the questions. OLED means, replacing Magic Keyboard and pencil. But I guess it's just a question taking the hit now and worry about it later...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.