Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

centauratlas

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Florida
1Ghz iMac

As a data point, 10.2.8 installed and runs fine on a 1Ghz iMac (17 inch LCD). Also on two G4s (dual 800 and 867), an older 9600 with a Sonnet upgrade. That is all I have tested so far.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
iMac 600 MHz

Installed fine, none of the problems noted in Page 1 thread.

First reboot was slow, rebooted again and was noticeably faster. Same for launching many applications. First launch, kind of slow. Much faster after second launch.

zebs1972

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2003
United Kingdom
OS X 10.2.8 haskilled my iMac - HELP!

I downloaded OS X 10.2.8 using Software Update. I left the machine to it, as it was going to take a while (even with 1MB broadband). I came back to my iMac 30 mins later and it was asleep and it would not wake up. So I reset the machine and waited for it to boot. Got the grey screen with the Apple logo, then the blue screen with the progress meter, then when the password/logon screen was due the machine just displayed a blank blue screen, I could see and move the mouse pointer. There was no logon screen, or menus or icons, could not even eject a CD This happened every time I booted into OS X 10.2.8.

The only options I am faced with is by reinstalling panther but I am scared I will loose all my data by doing that. Or install OS 9.2 which insists on formatting the drive as it can't mount Mac HD 1. Help?

Are there any ways or hacking into OS X maybe even in terminal mode and removing OS 10.2.8 maybe?

I have a 2002 G4 iMac 800Mhz with 256MB RAM

gorman

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2002
St. Louis, MO, USA
I've had the same problem with 10.2.8 as the person two posts above. Sadly, an archive install does _not_ resolve the problem. You can boot up if you hold down shift to disable extensions, which will let you backup whatever you need. I've tried so many things in single user mode to get it working, but alas, nothing has worked. Installing Panther (archive install again) even produced the same results.

Zapping the P-RAM didn't work, clearing the open bios didn't, etc.

I'm about to try a clean install.

iHack

macrumors regular
No known problems on TiBooks?

My friend owns a 15" TiBook 1Ghz - any known problems? Or can I advise him to update? As a professional photographer he can't do without his TiBook, so we don't want to take any chances.

BTW Both my 17" LCD iMac and my 12" PoBo are running smoothly. The thread is getting repetitive: 1st boot and start of programs slower, after that it seems at least as fast as is was before.

M.

iPegboy

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2003
Detroit
It was really slow reboot after the install, on my 600 iBook with 256 RAM...so I'm keepign it off while I'm at work today. I'm confident by reports here, the reboot a second time will be faster...we'll see.

centauratlas

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Florida
Re: OS X 10.2.8 haskilled my iMac - HELP!

Originally posted by zebs1972
The only options I am faced with is by reinstalling panther but I am scared I will loose all my data by doing that.

I am not exactly sure what you are saying, but given that you say "reinstall" it would seem to indicated that a Panther beta or alpha was installed on that machine along with (perhaps on a different partition?) 10.2.x. Perhaps it is a problem with Panther and 10.2.8 not being able to co-exist peacefully on the same drive/machine? Panther is beta so I don't think it is unexpected that one needs to be really careful when running an "older" (e.g. 10.2.8) update on a machine with a "newer" beta (e.g. 10.3 beta). I didn't see anything in the notes that would indicate driver updates or something like that, but you never know...good luck!

gsdali

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2003
Powerbook G3 500Mhz FW

No Problems here, although desktop and Mail.app preferences were lost (although this has happened before without any upgrades going on)

At the very least one should back up one's preferences.

gaijinjim

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2003
Seattle, WA
Like zebs1972, I downloaded and installed 10.2.8 thru Software Update and then faced a blank screen upon returning to my FW800 PMG4 to do the customary reboot. Had to shut off the machine by holding down the power button. Was able to reboot and login, but didn't get a chance to play with it yet. (Upgraded from 10.2.6.)
However, this type of thing is starting to scare me about Apple's Quality Control. Seems like they are starting to turn into M$. Been dealing with the Airport Extreme 5.1.1 firmware issue for over a month now. (If you haven't heard about it, there is a major BUG in the firmware that will cut off your internet connection after 30mins or so depending upon usage.) Apple has known about this one but still hasn't fixed anything yet.

sjz55

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2003
Installed ok on an IMAC 1ghz 17in 1gb ram.

First boot slow..log on slow...internet was slow...rebooted and things were fine...Machine on all night ...It was great this morning..

Steve

iHack

macrumors regular
Originally posted by gaijinjim
Like zebs1972, I downloaded and installed 10.2.8 thru Software Update and then faced a blank screen upon returning to my FW800 PMG4 to do the customary reboot. Had to shut off the machine by holding down the power button. Was able to reboot and login, but didn't get a chance to play with it yet. (Upgraded from 10.2.6.) However, this type of thing is starting to scare me about Apple's Quality Control. Seems like they are starting to turn into M$.

snip.
Same here. it seems you should not have you mac fall asleep after running the update and before rebooting. The problem is minor really. After the hard reboot, everything is fine and dandy.
NO WAY you can compare this to M$ crap. After being a PC poweruser for many years, all this mac stuff is trivial. To a former PC user, many Mac users are lazy whiners. I don't think it is strange that when core parts of the OS are changed you run a risk of having differences between what's in the RAM and what's on the HD, really. Such discrepancies can cause a computer to freeze. It's not possible to just update *everything* loaded in RAM - that's why you need a reboot.
I read a nice post by Powerbook G5 a while ago about his uneasy feeling after switching: nothing to tweak, no low level setting to correct for that one card to work: this can't be right. This is so recognisable! To me at first it was a bit of a disappointment that everything on the Mac just worked. I kinda liked fiddling with my Dell, which at the time I got it was a very cool machine (PIII-450, win2k). Figuring out how to trick the system into actually working can be very rewarding.
And I just got a steering wheel and pedals to use in racing games (a gift by the sponsors of F1 driver Jos Verstappen). It has a booklet with an extensive procedure for installing and calibrating the thing on windoze. I plugged it into my iMac and it just worked. period. And no apparent need for calibration. Cool! I can just plug it in and play! It didn't even ask for a driver! It didn't fire up internet explorer to be registered! I love my Mac.

M.

PS. In Dutch, a del (same pronunciation, one L) is a slutty girl (not quite a slut anyway). I know some geeks who like to say they are playing with a del on their desk all the time.

eyeluvmyimac

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2002
Re: OS X 10.2.8 haskilled my iMac - HELP!

Originally posted by zebs1972
I downloaded OS X 10.2.8 using Software Update. I left the machine to it, as it was going to take a while (even with 1MB broadband). I came back to my iMac 30 mins later and it was asleep and it would not wake up. So I reset the machine and waited for it to boot. Got the grey screen with the Apple logo, then the blue screen with the progress meter, then when the password/logon screen was due the machine just displayed a blank blue screen

I had the same EXACT occurance, however, mine displayed the login screen. Besides that everything was the same. I don't know what to tell u but best of luck.

moosecat

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
Hmm... Sounds like I'll be on 10.2.6 until Panther. I don't want to run the risk of these hassles, for questionable benefit.

gorman

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2002
St. Louis, MO, USA
Okay, if you are having the problem where your computer will simply not boot, I think I've found the solution.

Dust off your hardware test cd, boot from it (hold down c), and then run the extended test. This will take about half an hour, depending on how much ram you have, but should resolve the problem.

I have no clue if this erased some bad data in the ram or what, but after hours of trying various things, this fixed it.

Good luck :)

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
1GHz eMac

I updated this morning using the 10.2.8 combo updater and my eMac is doing just fine. I repaired permissions both before and after updating and haven't noticed any issues or problems...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.