Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DesterWallaboo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2003
Western USA
Originally posted by gsdali
Powerbook G3 500Mhz FW

No Problems here, although desktop and Mail.app preferences were lost (although this has happened before without any upgrades going on)

How much free space do you have on your hard drive? and what applications are you using? I've found that if you are using a program that caches significant amounts of information to your drive (i.e. Photoshop or After Effects) and fills your drive to nearly 100% full, it can kill your preferences. I generally leave a minimum of a good Gigabyte or so free space at all times to make sure this doesn't happen.

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
Re: Apple pulled the update?

Originally posted by iHack
For what it's worth:

According to macbidouille (posted there 15 minutes ago) Apple just pulled the update, because of all the problem users were having...
here's a link

I tried and can still dl a standalone .dmg through the link in the kbase.

[edit] now I can't anymore (22:50 CET)

It's still there as of right now...

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=120244

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
Re: Re: Re: Apple pulled the update?

Hey, you're right!

That's the combo version, I was looking at the non-combo one (for 10.2.6).

Are people only having problems with the version for 10.2.6?

get it while you can, I guess :p

M.

The other is still there too, it's just that using the Combo updater is usually better. However, it is not showing up in the system update panel though any longer on my iBook that is still running 10.2.6.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=120245

iHack

macrumors regular
Re: Re: Re: Re: Apple pulled the update?

Originally posted by Lancetx
The other is still there too, it's just that using the Combo updater is usually better. However, it is not showing up in the system update panel though any longer on my iBook that is still running 10.2.6.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=120245
I checked the macbidouille post before I posted here, of course. The kbase article disappeared as i was reading it. Wouldn't come back at the time. Couldn't find the file either. Now I can. Weird. Or maybe Apple's servers were overloaded?

M.

[edit] it's gone again (the article I mean). Well, it may just come back...:rolleyes:

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Apple pulled the update?

I checked the macbidouille post before I posted here, of course. The kbase article disappeared as i was reading it. Wouldn't come back at the time. Couldn't find the file either. Now I can. Weird. Or maybe Apple's servers were overloaded?

M.

I don't know either. I hope they don't need to pull it, I've already installed it on my eMac. :) However, I've not had any problems with it. Maybe the battery reporting issues is a serious problem with the notebooks and that's the reason why, there's no way to know right now.

djcobb44

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2001
Here's one solution....

I had the boot up problem on a G4 PM 867Mhz. At boot up the start up disk could not be found. I booted up into Mac OS 9 using the CD, went to the control panels-->, start up disks-->, and clicked on Mac OS 10.2.8, restarted and all is well, agian.

JasonGutierrez

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2003
Texas
Maybe this'll help

I've managed to fix my OS by manually removing all the third party preference panes. IN particular I removed MooSB, iAddressX, Intego(NEtBarrier), and iChoose. After removing these items I rebooted my Mac and all was well.

All though the results we disatrous, Apple did warn (although obscurely) that C3PO's would have an adverse affect on your OS after the upgrade.

Jason

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Re: Dead.2.8

Originally posted by JasonGutierrez
Who doesn't have third party system software installed? Don't blame it on others doode.

so it's apple's reponsibility to track every third-rate coder's tweaks to ensure compatability in future releases? i don't think so. apple can't control what ****ty software you install, plus the third-party developers usually tell you "use at your own risk". the OS was not meant to be modified; it just happens that it can be.

BTW any OS will include some disclaimer like this. software developers rarely promise that their software will play nicely with the others.

and as a sidenote, anyone who is having problems because they have Panther installed: you deserve it. even the public demo was (in a very small group of people) meant for demonstration purposes, not to keep installed, or to use.

pnw

tfr

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2003
Estonia
Updated all of my machinery yesterday - two TFT iMacs (15+17) and the 12" PowerBook. Everything running smoothly so far. :)

fabsgwu

macrumors regular
May 6, 2003
Washington, DC
audio quality?

This may sound weird, but the audio quality of my MP3s in iTunes seems to be lower with the new update. That, or I've fallen into a tin can.

iMac 17" 800 Mhz

calemany

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2003
Dead 12" PowerBook G4

Installed 10.2.8 through the Software Updater last night. It rebooted fine, although slow. I launched an OS 9 application from an alias, and it needed to be reminded which app it belonged to.
Everything seemed fine until about 20 minutes after the reboot.

The daisy wheel popped up and then the system stated, "you need to restart your computer. Hold down the Power button..."

Now it is hosed. I can not boot to my OS X CD; I can not boot to my Apple Hardware test CD; I can not boot to a FireWire drive. I can not even boot into single user mode.
When I try to boot with extensions off, I get a message from the system stating, "you need to restart your computer. Hold down the Power button..."

Dejavu.

Hrmpf.

rspress

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
Northern California
10.2.8 update

800Mhz eMac, superdrive, 768MB RAM....machine works fine after upgrade with one exception....I did lose a few icons on some files, mostly document files. Repairing permissions did not fix icon problems.

Other than that booting and networking(both hard wire and airport) work fine...

Used software update pref-pane to update.

macmonster

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2003
Well...my earlier post about the icon issues on the desktop do not mean a damn thing now. Someone broke into my house this afternoon and stole my freakin' iMac and digital video camera.

Scumbags of the earth!!! I wonder if Apple can drop a bomb on that machine if it tries to connect for an update...or maybe 10.2.8 will just blow up!!!

rspress

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
Northern California
Originally posted by macmonster
Well...my earlier post about the icon issues on the desktop do not mean a damn thing now. Someone broke into my house this afternoon and stole my freakin' iMac and digital video camera.

Scumbags of the earth!!! I wonder if Apple can drop a bomb on that machine if it tries to connect for an update...or maybe 10.2.8 will just blow up!!!

Dude, that is a major bummer! I hope you are insured.

I always have mine password protected and have an open guest user with a desktop picture that says the computer has their address and is in the process of transmitting that information to all law inforcement agencies within a 200 mile radius of the computer, the only way to stop it is to return it to the owners property.....I also have a little logo I made that says "protected by SecureComp Net".....I have a message on my palm PDA that says about the same thing.

It won't fool a savvy thief....but it might scare the hell out of a dumb one! It might even show up on my front step if they are really stupid!

kuyu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Louisville
10.2.8 update emac 700

I updated this morning and have had ZERO problems. it took forever to reboot from the software update the first time, but after 2 restarts (can't be too careful) everything is working normally. Actually, safari seems to be a bit snappier both while loading pages and opening from dock (2 hops and its open). also, aac ripping the new outkast album seemed to be faster than normal, but it could just be my imagination. Sorry to those who had problems but trust me, it's going to be a late night in Cupertino, and its all for you. now if that doesn't make you feel special i don't know what will...

macmonster

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2003
Yep...got insurance. A little deductable but not too bad. I have never had to file so I have no clue how screwed I will be. Maybe I will get a big fat G5 since they left my old Compaq Deskpro that I use as a server.

My biggest complaint is that I had just archived over 3000 photos and was going to copy the other 2000 this weekend.

Oh well.

nickmarine

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2003
California
# out of 4 not bad

Well,

I installed the update on all 4 of my systems
800Mhz G4-No Issues
1.2Dual G4-No Issues
1.2Dual G4-No Issues
933Mhz Dual- Big problems, the unit would not boot until I reset the CUDA on the MLB, since then it has run fine. PRAM and all that were ineffective until I hit the CUDA.

Cheers

Nick:)

chia_zadora

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2002
Mpls MN USA
Installed on my 800 MHz G4 iMac at home, crashed once on the screensaver, reboot was fine. Seems to have no problem with sleep, but Safari crashes more than normal.

Installed on my dual 1.25 G4 at work, no problems yet...

theRebel

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2003
Re: Dead.2.8

Originally posted by JasonGutierrez
This is cute (from the Apple site)

You may experience unexpected results if you have installed third-party system software modifications, or if you have modified the operating system through other means. This precautionary statement does not apply to the normal installation of application software.

Who doesn't have third party system software installed? Don't blame it on others doode.

I do not have any third party system software installed. Most of the Mac users that I know also do not have any third party system modifications installed.

Do you realize that most application software is NOT system software? The disclaimer even points that out for you.

As far as blame goes, it is rather absurd of you to suggest that Apple should be held responsible for third party code. They have no control over it, so by what logic or illogic do you think that it is reasonable for them to be held accountable?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.