Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macnews

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2003
Idaho
Originally posted by rspress
Dude, that is a major bummer! I hope you are insured.

I always have mine password protected and have an open guest user with a desktop picture that says the computer has their address and is in the process of transmitting that information to all law inforcement agencies within a 200 mile radius of the computer, the only way to stop it is to return it to the owners property.....I also have a little logo I made that says "protected by SecureComp Net".....I have a message on my palm PDA that says about the same thing.

It won't fool a savvy thief....but it might scare the hell out of a dumb one! It might even show up on my front step if they are really stupid!

Care to share that graphic? I try to avoid re-inventing the wheel, and I really like your idea. Plenty of stupid crooks out there.

gaijinjim

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2003
Seattle, WA
Originally posted by iHack
Maybe I should've been a little more generous with the sarcasm...

hey, sounds like a comparison to me ;)
Sounds like we agree on the Macs being superior thing....

Sorry to hear about the Airport extreme issue...

M.

Hey man,
Sounds like we are in agreement when it comes to Apple, great company with great products. Only thing that scares me is the fact that Apple pulled 10.2.8 citing ethernet problems. OUCH!! :eek:

I just hope that this is not a sign of things to come. Apple can't afford it. :(

The network engineering team obviously was in charge of the ethernet changes in 10.2.8 and they are, I'm pretty sure, the same team that has been trying to fix the Airport Extreme problem for the past month and a half.

As far as my installation of 10.2.8 is concerned, I don't use the ethernet connection, only Airport Extreme, so I don't have any of the problems. Also I did notice an increase in speed when it comes to booting and logging in. Safari also seemed faster. :D

Let's wait and see what happens. The engineers are burning the midnight oil of this one. Or should be if they aren't.

timf

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
10.2.8 - corrupted Foundation framework ?

Since I don't have a fast net connection at home, I tend to download the standalone installers here, burn them to cd-rw and apply them at home on my iMac (flatscreen, 1ghz) I tend to keep the software on that machine reasonably up to date : I was upgrading from 10.2.6.

Last night I installed the security update, did a restart, the jdk1.4.1_01 update, restart, and the 10.2.8 update restart, in that order.[1]

After restarting the machine for the last time, startup showed the usual grey boot screen, then showed the white box, with extensions being loaded, and then nothing -- where I'd normally get the login screenappearing, I just got a blank blue screen (the background of the loginscreen) and a mouse pointer.

After lots of screwing around booting into single user mode, disabling CoreGraphics StartupItem and editing /etc/ttys to give me a text-onlyconsole, I found that the problem appeared to be with

/System/Library/Frameworks/Foundation.framework/Versions/C/Foundation

With that file in place, I found that I couldn't start applications (Iwas getting an "open truncated or malformed library" error from dyld), but using the Foundation_profile in it's place, apps ran fine.

I verified this by re-enabling the graphical console and enabling the CoreGraphics StartupItem : the system worked fine (albeit a littleslower than usual, probably due to the fact I was using the profiling framework)I've screenshots in the URLs below of me in text mode trying to investigate things

Note that this isn't single user mode, it's just merunning the OS with all the graphical services disabled.

Could someone verify these checksums ?

http://www.netsoc.ucd.ie/~timf/10.2.8/DSC03083.JPG

md5s for Foundation :
http://www.netsoc.ucd.ie/~timf/10.2.8/DSC03085.JPG

errors shown trying to run Terminal.app with broken framework, and then it working fine with profiling framework :
http://www.netsoc.ucd.ie/~timf/10.2.8/DSC03087.JPG

When I used the Foundation_profile library instead, Terminal started properly (actually it threw errors about not having any graphics services available, but at least it exited gracefully)

Hope this is of some use ?

[1] Yes, I probably should have verified the MD5s of the installersbefore setting out with any of this. That'll teach me !

Daschund

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2003
New York Citeeeeeeyyyy!
Problems...

I just updated to 10.2.8 yesterday night through Software Update. After downloading, updating and optimizing, I restarted the computer just fine. After that, I went to sleep and today, when I tried to startup the computer it would turn on, make the chime sound, give me the Apple and the spinning wheel and turn off two or three seconds later. Tried about five times with the same result. After I unplugged the power cord and plugged back again it worked fine. Don't know if it is from the update or not... :confused:

BTW, this was on a 400Mhz iMac

Daschund

sionnach

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2003
Hamilton, ON
imac problems with 10.2.8

I had a strange problem with my 17" 1gHz imac with classic mode.

During the 10.2.8 installation, the screen blanked out and I had to reset...later, classic mode would not work. It now crashes every time I try to load it.

The message is: "An error was encountered while attempting to update your system folder with classic-specific resources". The console message is the following: "Classic[393]: AUTOUPDATE ERROR: type and/or creator resource missing for /System/Library/CoreServices/Classic Startup.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/SystemFiles/Classic "

Anyone know of a solution to this mess?

Thanks.

PS - How can I downgrade back to 10.2.6??

stematG4

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2003
Florence, Italy
Re: # out of 4 not bad

Originally posted by nickmarine

933Mhz Dual- Big problems, the unit would not boot until I reset the CUDA on the MLB, since then it has run fine. PRAM and all that were ineffective until I hit the CUDA.

Cheers

Nick:)

What is the CUDA on MLB?

AtlantaGuy

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2002
Atlanta, GA
Re: Re: How's it work on Rev. C iMacs?

Originally posted by gopher
Wouldn't even try. Without Firewire or SCSI possible on that machine without at least a $350 upgrade, you are better off getting a Blue and White G3 or better to run Mac OS X. No Firewire means no fast reliable backups. No reliable backups mean you need to keep your operating system pristine clean except for Apple software and no third party hacks or utilities that might break during the next software update. And if they do break you want to as quickly as possible recover to the last system version update.

Sound advice, but...
I've stubbornly run OS X since it's beta days on a Rev. B iMac (233 MHz, 160 MB RAM) and, so far, am doing fine with 10.2.8

It's been a good run, but just about time to go shopping at the (Apple) hardware store.

juststeve

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2003
Chicago, IL
Re: iMac 600 MHz

Originally posted by rdowns
Installed fine, none of the problems noted in Page 1 thread.

First reboot was slow, rebooted again and was noticeably faster. Same for launching many applications. First launch, kind of slow. Much faster after second launch.

The slow boot time is usually an indication that the kernel is not using the kernel extension cache because the kernel believes the cache is invalid.
During the boot process (/etc/rc), the kernel extension cache is rebuilt. Subsequent reboots with a valid kernel extension cache will be 20-40 seconds faster (depending on disk speed).

If anyone's having problems, one additional thing you can try from single user mode (or MacOS 9) is to delete these files:
/System/Library/Extensions.mkext
/System/Library/Extensions.kextcache
This will force a kernel extension cache rebuild at the next system startup.

Have people with iMac/eMac problems tried "shift-booting" into Safe Mode?

Another problem I've seen in the past with other 'broken' MacOS X updates is that certain /System/Library/Frameworks/* directories are not properly updated. I have never figured out why.
A command line reinstall of the "Combo" updater has fixed problems like this for me in the past. Download the update to your machine, somehow (curl, sneakernet with an iPod?). As root, execute:
installer -target / -pkg /full/path/to/MacOSXComboUpdate.pkg

By the way, if anyone installed anything that modified any MacOS X binaries, or plugs in a hackish way, you deserve any problems associated with it and the vendor of that software should be given a boot to the head! ;)

--JustSteve

davy the bunny

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2003
Dallas
I need to add something to my earlier statement that it was working fine for me. The day previous to the update to 10.2.8 I experienced a problem with the Java update which decided to give me a folder with a question mark at boot time. Apparently there was something wrong with Installer on my machine because every single thing that I installed screwed up my system in one way or the other. So I had to do an archive and install the day before I got the update to my machine, which means that my system was clean and new and sparkly and shiny. . . so I won't comment about any problems that anyone else may be having any more. Sorry about all the trouble.

rauf

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2003
Kiwiland now - it's the best.
10.2.8 on eMac and 2 ibooks ok.

No problems at all with any of my machines and the standard software update from 10.2.6 to 10.2.8.

The eMac was first (800 / 640Mb) hassle free, no probs.

The two iBooks were next, ( both 800 / 383Mb, combo) again hassle free.

Have tried all usual apps, inc MS office, photoshop, mail, safari (which is a bit faster sometimes), iCal, iSync, Airport connection etc. My eMac is on a 100baseT home network - no worries, both iBooks are on airport, again hassle free.

I presume the software update is buggy for peopple that have messed with their machines from the standard configuration.

One of the best things about the macs are that apple make the hardware AND the OS, hence very few incompatibility problems. Messing with the standard OS install seems to be asking for trouble and gets you the same reliability problems as your average windows setup.

My point is - if you're prepared to mess about with a perfectly good OS setup, then you should be prepared to put up with and fix any problems this causes.

mpeters

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2003

I successfully installed 10.2.8 on my 1ghz 17" iMac. I am using it again today.

rjrufo

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2002
Boston
Two 17in iMacs, one 15 TiPB

I've upgraded both iMacs and my TiPB, the PB took almost a half hour to reboot right after the upgrade, while the two iMacs were slower than normal. I tried rebooting all three today, and all have a noticeable decrease in boot time.

The only "major" problem now is the ugly Dock background. I had used Transparent Dock before the upgrade, but now it won't work at all. I had to reset the original Dock, since the Dock would not come back up.

Everything else runs as smooth as ever.

c.w.roberts

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2003
Glasgow
Bootup problem with 10.2.8 -a solution

I installed 10.2.8 on my 12 inch Powerbook and found like others have reported that it would not bootup. When trying to restore the software I was instructed to choose the option to erase my entire hard drive. This was apparently because my present system was newer than the one on the CD. I knew my data was there on my harddrive as disk utility told me I had some 25GB of dat on my drive, I could not access any of it. My solution was to make a bootable Mac osX CD and pull all my dat off the HD onto a Firewire Iomega drive. I then reinstalled everything. I do not know that this was the best or quickest solution but it worked for me.

However, there are a few important points.
1. To make the bootable CD there is a program called bootCD available (http://www.charlessoft.com/) this did it for me. It is really important to follow the instructions carefully in terms of burning the disk. The process of making it is long 15-30 mins and the bootup process takes a similar length of time.
2. You will of course need access to another MAC ( I used an eMAC), I am not sure how specific the bootup CDs are for the machine that they were made on, but this one worked on my PB.
3. When I booted up my HD was not immediately available, but after using disk utility to repair and mount the HD I had access to it.

I can not say that my problems were caused by the update, only that they coincided with it. However, this is a solution to many problems and I would recomend that everybody makes a bootable CD.

Finally thank you Charles soft.

Potus

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2002
Re: 10.2.8 update

Originally posted by rspress
800Mhz eMac, superdrive, 768MB RAM....machine works fine after upgrade with one exception....I did lose a few icons on some files, mostly document files. Repairing permissions did not fix icon problems.

Other than that booting and networking(both hard wire and airport) work fine...

Used software update pref-pane to update.

Bummer. Sometimes I understand why people pay "protection" on the Sopranos so that Tony's gang won't steal (everything) from them. As a side benefit, Tony doesn't let anyone else steal from them.

Anyway, I would be totally bummed out.

lhammer610

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2003
Lexington, VA
Upgraded G3

I have a Beige G3 with a G4 processor that I upgraded to 10.2.8. Everything seems to be working fine (although I have not tried to use Ethernet, yet). However, I decided to run Disk First Aid to repair permissions. A couple of minutes into the run, the screen goes black and will not go back on. I had to perform a hard reboot. I decided to run iTunes in the background to try to monitor performace of the CPU. When the screen went black again, iTunes kept playing the same 1 second of music over and over again. I could not tell if it was making any musical progress or not.

So I left it running overnight to see if I can get out of it.

To be continued.

Now I know that I am not supposed to, but should I boot off of the OS X disk, repair permissions with that, then boot on the hard drive and try repairing permissions again?

Or try reinstalling 10.2.6? Or reinstall OS X off of the CD and then do the upgrade to 10.2.6? Or just never run Disk First Aid again........

tophu

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2003
Mine works, and faster at that...

I have a Lime iMac DV 400MHz, and the update worked great. I noticed that it no longer has the problem with fix_prebinding hogging the CPU for five minutes at boot time. I had that since around 10.2.5 or so...

I was absolutely amazed when I launched Safari after the update. It had always needed about four bounces in the Dock to launch before, and now it launches in less than a single bounce.

Awesome!

tophu

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2003
TransparentDock doesn't work, ClearDock does

Originally posted by rjrufo

The only "major" problem now is the ugly Dock background. I had used Transparent Dock before the upgrade, but now it won't work at all. I had to reset the original Dock, since the Dock would not come back up.

Everything else runs as smooth as ever.

Yeah, I had the same thing. Unsanity's Clear Dock works fine. I sure do miss the "Hide App" dock menu item, though...

Mattnh

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2003
Groningen (NL)
10.2.8 (SE) and FireWire

Since the update of the 'new' 10.2.8 i have serieus firewire issues. To check if it was the external HDs or the G4 I hooked it up to an different G4 and it works fine there. Never had problems with the Firewire HDs before.
It just doesn't mount. And when it does it falls of the desktop after a few minutes with a warning to follow. Help? mattnh@zonnet.nl

rspress

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
Northern California
Originally posted by macnews
Care to share that graphic? I try to avoid re-inventing the wheel, and I really like your idea. Plenty of stupid crooks out there.

Sorry, it has been a while since I checked back into this thread. Sure I will share the graphics, you can get them here:

Graphic 1

Graphic 2

They are nothing special, just something I whipped up really quick! Feel free to resize, change the text, background, whatever you need.

Again, sorry for the delay in responding!

RCAndrews

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2003
things couldn't be better

hello,
i have a imac flat panel 17" fully loaded and expanded, at purchase. not sure if this makes a difference. some folk install the extra things themselves (not sure if this matters)
also i have a 9600 power mac (fully loaded , ie ram mhz, video card etc.)
runs fine. though, i only run protools on the 9600 and the standard appleworks. bbedit 7.0, things of that nature. other than IE 5.2 i am windows free. hmmm???

anyway things run great ipod, airport, printer's (hp's and an epson stylus pro XL, oh yea fax phone printer scanner by hp as well) all run fine.

note sometimes if you update all it can take is a program or two that reject the new upgrades and it will eventually effect
something, IMHO.

for example, those of us with the old 5gig ipod's should not use the 2.2 upgrade, it no workie like dat *)

if you made this mistake (and it's an easy one to make), itunes will not recognize yea ole' ipod 5 gig.

i noticed in other boards at the apple discussion area's , folks experiencing slow start ups. mine has always been a "dragger" but hey it's loading a lot these days.

the security with safari appears to be fine, was having prob's w/that, all gone after 10.2.8 upgrade.

since i installed it though my god sons sim city 4.0 isn't really quick by any stretch of the imagination. other than that i am running smooth and have been since i purchased the machine. LOL to those that haven't been so fortunate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.