Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

curtisinoc

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
mac mail + gmail problems in Lion

(sorry if previously posted):

Noticed something today for those of us with a gmail accounts using Lion:

1. Use Mac mail to write an email
2. Log into your gmail/email account on web
3. Open your "trash" folder and you'll see a bunch of email copies (depending on how long your created email is)

I'm guessing this is Lion's "autosave, versions, restore . . . " at work. Extremely annoying, especially on iOS devices (iPhone): You'll get a ton of emails syncing to your "trash" folder.

This annoying behavior does not create a bunch of copies onto the mac mail "trash" folder. Only in gmail.

Is there a way to turn this off????

So far, this is the ONLY thing about Lion that bugs me.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
(sorry if previously posted):

Noticed something today for those of us with a gmail accounts using Lion:

1. Use Mac mail to write an email
2. Log into your gmail/email account on web
3. Open your "trash" folder and you'll see a bunch of email copies (depending on how long your created email is)

I'm guessing this is Lion's "autosave, versions, restore . . . " at work. Extremely annoying, especially on iOS devices (iPhone): You'll get a ton of emails syncing to your "trash" folder.

This annoying behavior does not create a bunch of copies onto the mac mail "trash" folder. Only in gmail.

Is there a way to turn this off????

So far, this is the ONLY thing about Lion that bugs me.

I just tried this, but the trash was empty all the time..... I had the window open all the time i was composing email in mail from my gmail account, even sending and receiving...

Last edited:

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Trash can

While moving other stuff into the trash while its currently being emptied. (This is best done from a Secure Erase point as just the standard Empty Trash option may be too quick), I see the following like its currently in the trash scheduled to be emptied, but it doesn't...

What is the point of this is it doesn't queue anything ? In actual fact, only the recent one (as screenshot shows) is moved to the trash, but any connective ones done at the time is not.

Attachments

• Garbage.jpg
    Garbage.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 352

cool11

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2006
In finder, with preview on, click on a video file. Then press try to delete it. You can't.
Finder locks it for preview reasons.
You have to try to delete it once again, then finder allow the erase.
So many clicks for nothing.

Apple force me to have the preview on, in order to see file info instantly without having to click 'get info'. But there is a sacrifice for this. You cannot delete the file instantly. You have to wait for the preview thumbnail.
Excellent deployment... :(

rogan

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2009
when i full screen an app eg chrome it just full screens ontop of every other window on the current space
i thought the full screen was supposed to become a new space?

cant find an option for this...

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
when i full screen an app eg chrome it just full screens ontop of every other window on the current space
i thought the full screen was supposed to become a new space?

cant find an option for this...

That's normal, Chrome doesn't support Lion's full screen mode, it supports a custom method of doing full screen, so it doesn't get its own space and all. Should be fixed soon!

redgaz26

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2007
Glasgow
That's normal, Chrome doesn't support Lion's full screen mode, it supports a custom method of doing full screen, so it doesn't get its own space and all. Should be fixed soon!

on full screen chrome i cant acces the dock, bit of a pain hope thats fixed soon(i have the dock in hiding)

redgaz26

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2007
Glasgow
Have you tried to go to the down edge and then go down again?

I don't know if is chrome, but works with os x stock apps.

i have no problem with osx stock apps, and tried that didnt work with chrome, and just cant like safari no matter how much i try:eek:

curtisinoc

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
i have no problem with osx stock apps, and tried that didnt work with chrome, and just cant like safari no matter how much i try:eek:

Lion made me switch from chrome to safari. I miss some features of chrome - mainly that chrome remembers zoom view settings on each visited website - but I'm getting used to and liking safari.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

redgaz26

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2007
Glasgow
Lion made me switch from chrome to safari. I miss some features of chrome - mainly that chrome remembers zoom view settings on each visited website - but I'm getting used to and liking safari.

loads sooooo slow on my MBP, chrome all the way for me !!

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Mission Control Desktop switching

For those who didn't know, (me included), you can keyboard shortcuts (Control+~) is still available in Lion for switching Desktops... Found them under System Preferences, Keyboard, Keyboard Shortcuts, Mission Control (on the left).

You still don't get the box preview like in 10.6.

Something else, if didn't only effect Lion, but still there.. I dunno why its that way, is when you pull up System Preferences, and choose CD/DVD, there is always a brief "pause" before the pane opens for the first time.

Apparently, this "pause" is done while its checking the drive (see it in action when you put a disc in the drive, and try, wait for it to spin down first), or a disc with scratches it will lock up System Preferences.

Now my question ..... Why does it NEED to even check the drive? There is no relation to the options set nor the firmware, or the drive itself.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Goodbye Finder, Hello Launchpad....

Does this mean the end of Finder, as I know it?

Going into Application Support (those in the know, know) would be a thing of the past, or would Apple still keep Finder around for this purpose? With Lauchpad, seems the Applications folder is a waste of space. That might as well be hidden too.

I never really used Lauchpad, still go into Finder, Applications (if not in the dock).... Could be just me, but Launchpad looks more suited to IOS based devices, than a Mac. I guess the same reason why it fees strange 'direct' scrolling in safari., (i became used too fairy easily) that previous OS's lacked. Maybe, in time I'll "grow" to like Launchpad.

Bensalama21

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2011

There is a safari extension that will do that for you

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.