Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Mission Control & Dashboard

Attached.

Attachments

• Dashboard <> Mission Control.png
    Dashboard <> Mission Control.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 537

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Do you think it would damage iLife if I was to use an uninstalling program such as AppDelete or CleanMyMac?

App removal software doesn't do a thorough job of deleting files/folders related to deleted apps. For more information, read this.

The only effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

One app that I would not recommend, based on the number of complaints that have been posted in this forum and elsewhere, is CleanMyMac. As an example: CleanMyMac cleaned too much.

CanadianMacFan

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2011
Preview in column view

click on the little cog wheel at the top and go down to show view options

then untick show preview column

In SL in the preview column there was an arrow to the top left of the preview which could be used to toggle whether the preview was visible or not. I still want the column to be present because it provides me with details about the file such as modified and last opened times. I just don't like the preview as it doesn't do me any good. I don't know why they removed the option to show and hide the preview.

As an aside I notice that the last opened time isn't being updated like it was. Previously if I downloaded a video using Transmission the modified and last opened times would be the same until I opened the file up with VLC. Watching the video would change the last opened time. But with Lion the modified and last opened times remain the same.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Hmm, I'll have to look at it again because I've tried figuring out how to add more but it only lets me switch from 1 to the other.
Click the 'i' in the lower right corner, then click on Sections to choose what sections you want to show.
ScreenCap 11.png

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Things Ive noticed:

- wmv video files now play better on quick look, allowing to go wherever you want on the video without problems. On snow leopard I couldn't go to the end of the file on quick look, since I had to wait for the file to complete itself. This occurs too on quicktime. Now when you open a wmv file its complete instantly.

- pkg files now can install from a network drive. On snow leopard I couldn't.

- on finder if you long press the arrow back and forward you get an option to go directly to previous windows. Not sure if this was on snow leopard but its probable.

The wmv improvement is very good, since I have lots of wmv video files.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Scroll bars

Not really a specific issue in LIon, but the scoop bars disappearance can be a problem, particually when you need to actually use them to scroll multiple pages at a time. It's easier to drag then use gestures.

Amberfool

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2009
Not really a specific issue in LIon, but the scoop bars disappearance can be a problem, particually when you need to actually use them to scroll multiple pages at a time. It's easier to drag then use gestures.

You can drag the scroll bars in lion. ;)

c613m

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2011
Ottawa
Click the 'i' in the lower right corner, then click on Sections to choose what sections you want to show.

Thanks for the tip, I actually noticed from your picture that I didn't have the right iStat version widget, I had Lite and then searched Apple's site for the iStat Pro widget and boom! All good!

Thanks for the help!

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Trash Pickup

Its one of those days.

This is ya classic example of apps talking to other apps. When you are unable to stop emptying trash from a secure delete, when you Force quit Finder to try and empty the trash normally, you are presented with this dialog:

This is fine if multiple items exist, but not for one.

Attachments

• Trash pickup.jpg
    Trash pickup.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 472

schurik01

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2011
Hey,
i jus have found out a little Trick.
If you are in in mission control you either can scroll to see the different opened windows of e.g. safari or you can use the space button in mission control to show the selected window of e.g. safari (but a little bit bigger ;) )

Takuro

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
Just installed 11C37, the latest preview of 10.7.2

You can finally click, hold down, drag, and re-arrange spaces from within Mission Control

God only knows why the **** this wasn't there to begin with, but better late than never, as they say.

Amberfool

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2009

You can finally click, hold down, drag, and re-arrange spaces from within Mission Control

God only knows why the **** this wasn't there to begin with, but better late than never, as they say.

Wow that's great news! :D :D Glad to hear they're implementing that, it's badly needed. ;)

Steve's Barber

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011

This is getting weirder all the time.

Why is Apple doing UI enhancements in 7.2 when it's supposed to be iCloud specific? Wonder what's going on with 7.1.:confused: I'm running Lion on an external just for experimentation but am waiting for the next release to officially upgrade.

strubinstein

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2010
Highly unlikely that this hasn't been posted somewhere in this thread already, but one little thing I found recently that I thought was awesome:

If you buy something online, and get a notification of shipment via e-mail with a tracking number in it, and you bring it into mail, you can hover over the tracking number, click the little arrow, and track the shipment without ever actually opening the internet. I got stoked when I first discovered it. So far I know it works with USPS and UPS.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
hmm

If you buy something online, and get a notification of shipment via e-mail with a tracking number in it, and you bring it into mail, you can hover over the tracking number, click the little arrow, and track the shipment without ever actually opening the internet. I got stoked when I first discovered it. So far I know it works with USPS and UPS.

hmm, wasn't this in SL?

tzikisXL

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2011
Greece
I am very very disappointed about Lion...After the install, over 10.6.8, the startups and shutdowns were longer, the functions of trackpad were not the same as SL (and this is very very bad)....

So, after a disk damage (probably from the shutdown button on my MBP17) due to very very long startups and startup stacks, I upgraded to 750Gb 7200, and made a clean like the white color on Greek Islands install of Snow Leopard....

I believe that a Snow Leopards are much more prettier and faster in Nature, than Lions....So, in Operating Systems....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:apple:MacBook Pro 17'' Unibody 2009, 8Gb RAM, 750Gb HDD 7200

jayhawk11

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2007
I am very very disappointed about Lion...After the install, over 10.6.8, the startups and shutdowns were longer, the functions of trackpad were not the same as SL (and this is very very bad)....

So, after a disk damage (probably from the shutdown button on my MBP17) due to very very long startups and startup stacks, I upgraded to 750Gb 7200, and made a clean like the white color on Greek Islands install of Snow Leopard....

I believe that a Snow Leopards are much more prettier and faster in Nature, than Lions....So, in Operating Systems....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:apple:MacBook Pro 17'' Unibody 2009, 8Gb RAM, 750Gb HDD 7200

What in the world does this even mean?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.