Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrmister

Suspended
Dec 19, 2008
Just installed 11C37, the latest preview of 10.7.2

You can finally click, hold down, drag, and re-arrange spaces from within Mission Control

God only knows why the **** this wasn't there to begin with, but better late than never, as they say.

Did they let you move the windows of open apps within Mission Control, or change anything to view them more easily?

Takuro

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
Did they let you move the windows of open apps within Mission Control, or change anything to view them more easily?

I don't think so. I've only now noticed that when you're hoving over a window group in Mission Control, hitting the spacebar makes whichever window you've highlighted expand to a much bigger size and places it in front. This is different from the expanded view you get from scrolling up while over a window group. However, this could be a feature I've overlooked until recently.

Also, just a few things about the ability to move spaces: You can't move your default desktop space - it stays locked to the left. If you reorganize other desktop spaces, they get renamed back into ascending order.

Eg: if you have:
[desktop 1] [desktop 2] [fullscreen safari] [desktop 3]

Pulling desktop 3 next to desktop 1 yeilds:
[desktop 1] [desktop 2] [desktop 3] [fullscreen safari]

repete7

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2010
In mail, I really like the new pop-up window when you add an event to iCal. It shows a couple hours on either side of the event you are trying to add.

(I searched the thread and didn't see this mentioned before, so sorry if I missed it).

markrox7

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2011
oh my… 10.7.1 made my boot, login, and shutdown times SOOOOOO much faster. With 10.7.0, it'd take around a minute for my Macbook Pro 13" (2010) to boot up, and about 30 seconds for it to log in and be usable. Now, it takes about 30 seconds to boot up, and it logs in instantaneously! Thanks :apple:!

tzikisXL

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2011
Greece
oh my… 10.7.1 made my boot, login, and shutdown times SOOOOOO much faster. With 10.7.0, it'd take around a minute for my Macbook Pro 13" (2010) to boot up, and about 30 seconds for it to log in and be usable. Now, it takes about 30 seconds to boot up, and it logs in instantaneously! Thanks :apple:!

Did you made a clean install or the common update from Snow Leopard?

kuwisdelu

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2008
Just installed 11C37, the latest preview of 10.7.2

You can finally click, hold down, drag, and re-arrange spaces from within Mission Control

God only knows why the **** this wasn't there to begin with, but better late than never, as they say.

AWESOME!

Apple, please let this functionality stick around.

markrox7

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2011
Did you made a clean install or the common update from Snow Leopard?

common update. I couldn't belive my eyes. I kept restarting my computer to try it out. It's a miracle. I love it. 10.7.1 is muchhhh better than 10.7.0. A lot of fixes.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009

My boot still takes MINUTES, it doesn't seem to be any faster... In Snow Leopard it was always blazing fast, like less than a minute, now it's maybe around 2-3 mins I'd say.

gwaagg

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2011
Cannot install Trainz Mac on my iMac Lion

Since about two days I try to install Trainz Mac on my Mac. Downloading the .dmg is okay. But after normal-Install on Mac - errors pop up. Like: can't execute Binaries, missing frameworks etc.
Searching around I got to version TR12, however notice there about Mac compatibility. On other threads I read it is working fine under Mac Lion - but not said if that was under Virtualbox or anything similar.

Did I buy that stuff too early or was it a bad idea.

Hope very much that I get the proper trick. Thnks , walt

Takuro

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
I'm on 11C40 - yet another release of 10.7.2. Also running the new iTunes 10.5 beta 8. Been looking all over and nothing seems to have changed. iTunes still has broken compatibility with 3rd-party plugins and scripts.

Well, actually it looks like when you boot the system up, when it transitions from the grey Apple boot logo to the actual login screen, they managed to make it seamless. Before, there was a little bit of a flicker as the boot loader switched to running OS X. I'm not seeing that anymore. Maybe this is just a personal observation for my own case, but others might notice it too.

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
One thing that was fixed with Lion

With SL on my 2010 MBP, coming back from sleep when attached to an external monitor was a bit of a gamble. I got stuck in black screen (or blue, the background, not the windows one) and had to try lots of things to get it back to display. Often I had to power off (long press of the power button) and restart... Annoying as hell...

With Lion, I never had to do this. Fix in OSX or graphic drivers? Who cares, it is fixed!

OldMacUser

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Found something useful for myself. I can finally use the brightness buttons on my external alu-keyboard to regulate the display brightness of my macbook pro. Thank godness! This never worked when my primary monitor was plugged in in my macbook.
Just found this today too - very useful.

Just to clarify - prior to Lion the brightness control keys on the Apple wireless keyboard did not work when an external display is hooked up, and you had to use the brightness control keys on the Macbook Pro keyboard to control the brightness of the Macbook Pro LCD display.

Now they work and it's made things that wee, teeny bit easier.

markrox7

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2011
Its one of those days.

This is ya classic example of apps talking to other apps. When you are unable to stop emptying trash from a secure delete, when you Force quit Finder to try and empty the trash normally, you are presented with this dialog:

This is fine if multiple items exist, but not for one.

how do you fix this? I have the same issue? I did everything it told me to do (unlock it, adjust sharing permissions) but still, my trash doesn't empty that one thing.

EDIT: justkidding. all I had to do was secure delete it.

Snookerman

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2008
Preview now quits when you don't need it in Lion.

Just noticed that Preview quits by itself when you close all the windows and move the focus to another app. This is great! I was always annoyed that you had to manually quit preview since it didn't make sense for this type of app. I wanted it to quit when closing the last window (like most apps on windows) but this is even better. It only quits if you're really done with it.

Sorry if this has been discussed before (I'm sure it has), I googled but could only find posts about problems. Are there any other apps that do this? Thanks!

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
Just noticed that Preview quits by itself when you close all the windows and move the focus to another app. This is great! I was always annoyed that you had to manually quit preview since it didn't make sense for this type of app. I wanted it to quit when closing the last window (like most apps on windows) but this is even better. It only quits if you're really done with it.

Sorry if this has been discussed before (I'm sure it has), I googled but could only find posts about problems. Are there any other apps that do this? Thanks!

this is the new auto termination feature in Lion

If you check in activity monitor after closing all windows you will see that it is still running, as soon as the OS (or another app) needs the memory it is using, the OS will then auto close the app for you

so if you go to use it again before this happens it will open again all most instantly

not 100%, but I think TextEdit & Quicktime X do the same

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
all

Just noticed that Preview quits by itself when you close all the windows and move the focus to another app. This is great!

I think pretty much all apps will do this, mail, safari, etc. It saves resources and reduces clutter, but is a mixed bag as far as preference.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
i installed lion the morning it came out, and have been pretty happy with it (bugs and quirks not-withstanding).

but today...gave up mission control. command-H to hide an app has always worked for me, and am comfortable with the app switcher.

why do i need to constantly bring up a lot of screens? i can only be in one place at a time... :D

anyway i can create a swipe for the app switcher? this existed in snow leopard but does not seem doable in lion...

EDIT: found 'better touch tool' (to make the 3finger swipe up open the App Switcher), and 'function flip' to disable the F3 key (which on my mac brings up mission control). RIP mission control...!

Last edited:

Long

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2006

This has been kind of a pain for me when it comes to 'Grab' - if I'm generating multiple screenshots, in the past I could grab a screenshot, save the file and close the window, switch back to the app I'm grabbing from to set up another screenshot, then switch back to Grab... but now Grab disappears as soon as I switch back to Safari, so I have to relaunch it. Sure, I could keep Grab in the dock permanently, but I like to keep my dock clear of apps I don't use that often.

Also, it introduces a third behavior for whether an app quits or stays open after the last window closes: (1) the traditional Mac way of keeping an app open regardless of window status; (2) quitting the app automatically as soon as you close the window; and now (3) keeping the app alive when you close the window, but then silently quitting it when you switch away. While there may be benefits to each, it clutters the user experience and detracts from the simplicity of the Mac.

Snookerman

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2008
This has been kind of a pain for me when it comes to 'Grab' - if I'm generating multiple screenshots, in the past I could grab a screenshot, save the file and close the window, switch back to the app I'm grabbing from to set up another screenshot, then switch back to Grab... but now Grab disappears as soon as I switch back to Safari, so I have to relaunch it. Sure, I could keep Grab in the dock permanently, but I like to keep my dock clear of apps I don't use that often.

Also, it introduces a third behavior for whether an app quits or stays open after the last window closes: (1) the traditional Mac way of keeping an app open regardless of window status; (2) quitting the app automatically as soon as you close the window; and now (3) keeping the app alive when you close the window, but then silently quitting it when you switch away. While there may be benefits to each, it clutters the user experience and detracts from the simplicity of the Mac.

I guess the issue here is the lack of options.

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
To the above

I have tried and neither Grab or Preview quit for me when I close the last document (not immediately anyway)

they get removed from the dock but are still running

Something is wrong if they are closing straight away, they should stay running in the background until the system needs the resources they are using, then they will be terminated

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.