Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
I have tried and neither Grab or Preview quit for me when I close the last document (not immediately anyway)

While the system will hold on to the process for a while, as far as the user is concerned, the application quits. You can't Cmd-Tab back to it or anything.

This is different from applications that have hidden application windows. They can be automatically terminated by the system, but still appear as running applications although there doesn't exist a process for them anymore.

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
While the system will hold on to the process for a while, as far as the user is concerned, the application quits. You can't Cmd-Tab back to it or anything.

This is different from applications that have hidden application windows. They can be automatically terminated by the system, but still appear as running applications although there doesn't exist a process for them anymore.

this is true

the point I was trying to make is that the app doesn't need to keep starting back up, using the above example

open up Grab, loads it from new as not been running
take screen shot and save/close document
move to another app and Grab (as far as user concerned is closed)
open up Grab for another screenshot, should load instant as it is still running (so no delay as you are not re running it)

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Login with shared volumes (eg NAS)

If you have Trash dialog boxes on screen (eg. you are currently emptying the Trash, but others are queued up for later), when its time for them to emptied the user may receive an error about ".Trash" not having access, when the user "Force quits" Finder, and re-launches just to empty the trash, the Finder menu bar is gone.

Also, after adding this to Users & Groups, Login Items under System Preferences, next time i login the volume is disappeared and i see the following (even though its still accessible via Connect to Server, and via Finder's sidebar:

Attachments

• error.jpg
    error.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 320

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Wi-Fi Network

What bugs me most of 10.7.1, is the ability to join a password protected network (ie WPA2), as shown, when you enter/paste a password in the field, and click join, your connected and the password is indeed stored in your keychain with "Remember this network" checkbox, ticked.

But even though your currently connected, the popup box remains with an "Connection failed." error,

Workaround: is to just "join" a second time.

Attachments

• WI-FI screwup.jpg
    WI-FI screwup.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 260

Crunch

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2008
Crazy L.A.
My boot still takes MINUTES, it doesn't seem to be any faster... In Snow Leopard it was always blazing fast, like less than a minute, now it's maybe around 2-3 mins I'd say.

It's ALWAYS best to do a FRESH installation from scratch when upgrading to a new version of any OS.

I know that Apple hasn't made it easy with the download-only scenario, which is why you must make yourself a bootable USB Flash drive and all will be well as far as speed and stability of the OS is concerned. :)

reubs

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2006
If I open a new window or app and then go to Mission Control while it's opening, I get a screen like the one below; it's really annoying and hopefully a bug that will be fixed.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-09-03 at 11.38.43 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2011-09-03 at 11.38.43 PM.jpg
    257.2 KB · Views: 335

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
When I open a window in Lion and find it too small, I manually resize it. However, every time I restart my imac, the window goes back to its original size.

Is there any way to get Lion to "remember" the new size of the windows, or change the default size?

Snookerman

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2008
When I open a window in Lion and find it too small, I manually resize it. However, every time I restart my imac, the window goes back to its original size.

Is there any way to get Lion to "remember" the new size of the windows, or change the default size?

That really bugs me too (although I've only noticed it for the app store window that wants to get under the dock every time).

Snookerman

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2008
When you log in and type the wrong password, the box will shake like it's saying "oh no you're not!". I love that! (so much that I sometimes put in the wrong password on purpose :p )

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Takuro said:
Did they let you move the windows of open apps within Mission Control, or change anything to view them more easily?

I don't think so. I've only now noticed that when you're hoving over a window group in Mission Control, hitting the spacebar makes whichever window you've highlighted expand to a much bigger size and places it in front. This is different from the expanded view you get from scrolling up while over a window group. However, this could be a feature I've overlooked until recently.

Also, just a few things about the ability to move spaces: You can't move your default desktop space - it stays locked to the left. If you reorganize other desktop spaces, they get renamed back into ascending order.

Eg: if you have:
[desktop 1] [desktop 2] [fullscreen safari] [desktop 3]

Pulling desktop 3 next to desktop 1 yeilds:
[desktop 1] [desktop 2] [desktop 3] [fullscreen safari]

So I'm guessing you can't name the spaces? That's what I want. Also want way to invoke all windows of an app FROM mission control.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Deleted.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Just installed 11C37, the latest preview of 10.7.2

You can finally click, hold down, drag, and re-arrange spaces from within Mission Control

God only knows why the **** this wasn't there to begin with, but better late than never, as they say.
This better be in the release because that's one of the bigger annoyances I have.

TheoW593

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2011
When you log in and type the wrong password, the box will shake like it's saying "oh no you're not!". I love that! (so much that I sometimes put in the wrong password on purpose :p )

That was there on the main log in screen, but I noticed now it includes anything while logged in such as changing some settings/installing programs.

My "little thing" irk is that when uploading a file, before when the window came up to find the file you want to upload, you could drag/drop it and it would be selected. Now that does nothing and you have to manually find the item within the window. I'm sure this was said before but I'm not going through 1000 posts.

mikkelnl

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2011
Holland
Mission Control

The only thing that really annoys me: if I haven't used mission control for a few minutes, and I open it, its animations lag. Turning MC on/off/on etc then is perfectly animated, but when I re-launch MC after a few minutes: first time it opens laggy...

Running on a 2011 MBP with 8GB RAM... :eek:

DocNYz

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2008
East Coast, USA
The only thing that really annoys me: if I haven't used mission control for a few minutes, and I open it, its animations lag. Turning MC on/off/on etc then is perfectly animated, but when I re-launch MC after a few minutes: first time it opens laggy...

Running on a 2011 MBP with 8GB RAM... :eek:

What typo of HDD are you running the os on?

jimmyjoemccrow

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2009
I find the new Mission Control annoying. It doesn't space out the windows as much, and stacks windows from the same application, making finding the window you wanted not as simple as it was. On top of that, sometimes you can't select the window you want just by moving your mouse over it. The blue border will only appear if you move over the middle of the window.

Launchpad is ok, but the old Applications stack was better. It included the Utilities folder. With the Launchpad you have to go to Finder to get the Utilities. At least I can remake the Applications Stack.

It does run nice and smoothly on a 2GHz Core2 Duo but I haven't done anything demanding on it so far, opened a few windows in Safari and Spotify in the background.

tobr

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2011
Not sure if anyone mentioned this but... you can press option + F-keys to quickly jump to relevant system preferences.

For instance, option + F1 or F2 brings up the Display settings, which makes sense since the F1 and F2 keys are used to adjust screen brightness.

Likewise, F3 for Mission control brings up the Mission control settings if Option is pressed down.

Option F6 and F7, for keyboard brightness, pops up Keyboard settings and Option F10-F12 of course brings up sound settings.

Snookerman

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2008
I just noticed that iCal is now stupid. If I click calendars and chose one, it won't use it when I create a new event. Even if I chose it and then click again to make sure, it will be marked, but it still won't use it. The only way I can find to change the calendar is to edit the event. Whoever made this change to iCal is a moron!

angrylawyer

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2010
When are they going to make safari so I can search google within the URL bar, like chrome and firefox. I absolutely hate having a second input field, which is unnecessary, and doesn't automatically clear itself after I search for something.

AT LEAST make it do both, so people who like the second input bar can keep using it, but I hate trying to search for 'lenovo t420' and have it go to http://www.lenovo t420 .com and give me a failed to connect error.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.