Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fofer

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2002
Other than that my system seems to be working fine on my MBP and my Vivobook.

I'm *assuming* this was an OSx86/Hackintosh project like this.

Not to sidetrack, but what model Vivobook are you running?

----------

If an app is using a lot of power it will show up in that drop down like in the screenshot below.

I don't think ErikGrim was asking for an explanation/illustration of this feature so much as he was trying to help out thesituation, who was complaining about strange battery drain.

Manic Harmonic

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2011
I'm *assuming* this was an OSx86/Hackintosh project like this.

Not to sidetrack, but what model Vivobook are you running?

X202e. There's a thread on tonymacx86 for it. I replaced the wireless card and swapped the drive for an ssd, probably the closest I'll get to a $400 macbook air. Multi touch gestures work too which is cool. It's got a few problems as most hackintished notebooks do, but overall it's a pretty good computer. This one seems to have a higher success rate than the s400c.

thesituation

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2010
What does the battery dropdown or activity monitor report as using excessive energy?

it's safari.

i thought safari was optimized so it doesn't use lot of energy. All i'm doing is browsing. I'm not watching videos or anything. :mad:

it's the 2013 mba that i got.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-10-29 at 8.55.10 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-10-29 at 8.55.10 AM.png
    32.1 KB · Views: 1,899

Fofer

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2002
getting poor battery life ..

my mac was 100% at 7, and i've used it lightly, browsing with safari and nothing running in the background but messages, and it has dropped to 82% since then.

Your post shows (to me) that it was made at 9:45 PM, so are you saying this was after nearly 3 hours of surfing?

it's safari.

i thought safari was optimized so it doesn't use lot of energy. All i'm doing is browsing. I'm not watching videos or anything. :mad:

it's the 2013 mba that i got.

Heh. Based on that screenshot, you're at 68% and that equates to approximately 5 hours of battery life left. That's pretty damn good, in the grand scheme of things, if you ask me.

Perhaps some of Safari's drain can be attributed to Flash, or another plug-in? Try going to Safari's Preferences -> Advanced and checking the box to "stop plug-ins to save power."

Also dim your screen as much as you can comfortably. Screen brightness is a big power draw.

thesituation

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2010
Your post shows (to me) that it was made at 9:45 PM, so are you saying this was after nearly 3 hours of surfing?

Heh. Based on that screenshot, you're at 68% and that equates to approximately 5 hours of battery life left. That's pretty damn good, in the grand scheme of things, if you ask me.

Perhaps some of Safari's drain can be attributed to Flash, or another plug-in? Try going to Safari's Preferences -> Advanced and checking the box to "stop plug-ins to save power."

Also dim your screen as much as you can comfortably. Screen brightness is a big power draw.

ya I think it stabilized itself. I've using it all since 8 am...did some assignments and some photoshop work and currently sitting at 33% with another 4 hours to go.

kunai

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2013
So far, I'm not too happy with the upgrade :(

- Safari topsites look so ugly now, there was no need to change that.
- WTF did they do to Notes? :confused: it used to be so simple but nice looking, like a real notebook. Now it's just a pale green, why o why....
- My external monitor got a surprise calibration, it's much darker than before. Tried using the old calibrate safe and that one just looks weird and bright now.

Now the good:

- Safari seems to run faster, but is also buggy, sites won't load, the beach ball appears for no reason.
- The Launchpad folders look nicer.
- I'm liking the notifications for sites like MacRumors.
- I'm glad Finder got tabs, but I'm missing the + button to add a new on like on Safari, now you HAVE to press cmd T.

So it seems my standard settings were altered, from the screen, the mouse speed and the scrolling speed, no idea why that had to change. And I don't like these things to change when I'm used to them. :p

Notes was at its best in Snow Leopard, when it was a part of the Mail app (where it actually made sense) instead of as a standalone application.

5t3f4n

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2011
Notes was at its best in Snow Leopard, when it was a part of the Mail app (where it actually made sense) instead of as a standalone application.

It makes a lot of sense if you're coming from iOS.
Also, where's the sense in having to open the Mail application to take a note if you don't even have a mail account set up?

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
Transparent and functioning launchpad

Small glitch, can easily be undone, just curious if anyone else has faced this before. I do the multitouch gesture to launch the launchpad, and it comes up transparent as such, fully functional. Weirder thing being that even after I opened an app, the launchpad stayed open and was still fully functional when i clicked the folder.

PurrBall

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007
Indianapolis
Small glitch, can easily be undone, just curious if anyone else has faced this before. I do the multitouch gesture to launch the launchpad, and it comes up transparent as such, fully functional. Weirder thing being that even after I opened an app, the launchpad stayed open and was still fully functional when i clicked the folder.

[url=http://s23.postimg.org/w3vdkeo13/Screen_Shot_2013_10_30_at_1_06_27_AM.jpg]Image[/url]

[url=http://s8.postimg.org/z3ix81sup/Screen_Shot_2013_10_30_at_1_06_34_AM.jpg]]Image[/url]

[url=http://s2.postimg.org/k6gtx3p45/Screen_Shot_2013_10_30_at_1_06_39_AM.jpg]]Image[/url]

[url=http://s23.postimg.org/3vz1pvk87/Screen_Shot_2013_10_30_at_1_06_59_AM.jpg]]Image[/url]

I've been seeing this on my iMac.

youtubin

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2013
I'm having a problem with keychain (iCloud) and safari, but only with MacRoumors. It don't wanna save my login and password, what gives? Any idea?
I like Safari to fill in username and password automatically for me.
:confused:

Last edited:

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Hi all..

Where is Network Utility gone. ? Its no longer in /Utilities folder. as this was a great tool..

WHois look ups, ping test, and other network tests..... Seems Apple got rid of it ? Looks like i may just have to resort to open source, as i always have to :p

Update: Apple moved it to System Information. Click "Window" menu.

Last edited:

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Mail issues

Is it me, or every since upgrading to Mavericks, Apple mail constantly has issues logging into IMAP Gmal ?

I never got this it this bad with 10.8.5 . Ever since upgrading though, 9 times out of bad, i can't access IMAP.....

Re-creating account, works, til it happens again. Connection Doctor reports that it failed "logging on make sure username/password it correct", but it its strange all of a sudden this happens After I upgraded..

I'm gonna go on a limb and say its an Apple issue..... Would have been every now and then otherwise.. not all the time.

Did anyone else notice the tags in finder are in the exact same order as the colors of a rainbow???
:p

Maybe Apple's just seeing how colorful their day is...... I guess this was the WWDC logo.... There's always a hint somewhere.

bluespaceoddity

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2009
Hi all..

Where is Network Utility gone. ? Its no longer in /Utilities folder. as this was a great tool..

WHois look ups, ping test, and other network tests..... Seems Apple got rid of it ? Looks like i may just have to resort to open source, as i always have to :p

Update: Apple moved it to System Information. Click "Window" menu.
You have probably already seen this as well but you can also find the Network Utility.app itself in System > Library > CoreServices > Applications.

Last edited:

bluespaceoddity

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2009
With Quicksilver and/or Spotlight at our disposal, who cares where things are...? :D
I do. Tech198, the person who asked, apparently does. There may be two or three others. Apple does.That's why there is an option to display the path to the location of things at the bottom of Finder windows in Mavericks - their latest OS... :D

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
I do. Tech198, the person who asked, apparently does. There may be two or three others. Apple does.That's why there is an option to display the path to the location of things at the bottom of Finder windows in Mavericks - their latest OS... :D

Quite. I'm one of those boring people that only 'Open' apps.

bluespaceoddity

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2009
Quite. I'm one of those boring people that only 'Open' apps...
... and conversations. Thing is, I overlooked that Tech198 had appended an update to his question and because I had opened the Network Utility since updating to Mavericks I went to see where it had been moved. With Spotlight as it happens. Only when I was ready to post the new location did I see that Tech198 had already found it. Not deterred I posted my comment anyway... Would you like some coffee ... ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.