Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

n-evo

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam
Launchpad hangs when switching between pages and my trackpad overall seems less responsive. Using it on a new 2013 iMac with Fusion Drive and 3,5 GHz Core i7.

jehartley

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2012
I'm not happy with Mavericks, so I went back to Mountain Lion. Mavericks was jittery and slow, especially Safari. Apps I use all the time such as Photoshop, Word, iMovie, iPhoto, Lightroom, etc were opening so slow and running so slow. I couldn't take it.

If they release an update that fixes all of that, I will gladly re-install, but until then, I am staying away. :(

Oh, and I had performed a clean install.

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
Launchpad hangs when switching between pages and my trackpad overall seems less responsive. Using it on a new 2013 iMac with Fusion Drive and 3,5 GHz Core i7.

Some very odd Launchpad behaviour.

Screenshot%202013-10-31%2010.37.32.png

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Every since Mavericks, no smooth scrolling in LaunchPad.

At least, you can scroll a tad before it switches screen... This may be minial, but you do notice these things..... :)

(Least, I do anyway).

The sparkles in Lauchpad looks *cool* when new apps are downloaded ... May be old behaviors, but leave it in..... Gets the users attention too.

Fofer

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2002
It is not just you. Mavs changed the way Mail app handles Gmail. Give this thread a look.

And this article:
TidBITS: Mail in Mavericks Changes the Gmail Equation

----------

Every since Mavericks, no smooth scrolling in LaunchPad.

At least, you can scroll a tad before it switches screen... This may be minial, but you do notice these things..... :)

LaunchPad still scrolls super smoothly for me, like butta...
I'm on an 2013 MacBook Air w/i7 processor.

tripmusic

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Switzerland
Trackpad issues on older MacBook Pro with Safari

I've noticed when using tabs and the trackpad in Safari, the 2 finger pitch gesture that brings up your tabs to center to cycle through is a bit choppy/slow. I've got a 4,1 MBP from '08, so it may just be an aging hardware thing, but other gestures appear much smoother.

hamis92

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2007
Finland
I've noticed when using tabs and the trackpad in Safari, the 2 finger pitch gesture that brings up your tabs to center to cycle through is a bit choppy/slow. I've got a 4,1 MBP from '08, so it may just be an aging hardware thing, but other gestures appear much smoother.

You're not alone. I have the exact same machine as you do and I'm seeing it. I also managed to crash Safari by doing that while it was loading a page.

Another 2-finger gesture issue I've seen in Safari is the current tab hanging when trying to move back and forth in history by swiping. Safari itself doesn't appear to be frozen as the UI is still responsive, but going to a different address won't change anything on the page. Other tabs also work fine, but the malfunctioning tab never recovers.

That issue started to manifest itself with every attempt at a 2-finger swipe to go back to previous page. Simply restarting Safari didn't have an effect, the whole computer needed to be restarted.

I apologise for the offtopic here!

tripmusic

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Switzerland
You're not alone. I have the exact same machine as you do and I'm seeing it. I also managed to crash Safari by doing that while it was loading a page.

Another 2-finger gesture issue I've seen in Safari is the current tab hanging when trying to move back and forth in history by swiping. Safari itself doesn't appear to be frozen as the UI is still responsive, but going to a different address won't change anything on the page. Other tabs also work fine, but the malfunctioning tab never recovers.

That issue started to manifest itself with every attempt at a 2-finger swipe to go back to previous page. Simply restarting Safari didn't have an effect, the whole computer needed to be restarted.

I apologise for the offtopic here!

Yes, I also noticed the 2 finger swiping of pages is choppy/sluggish. I don't think I've had to restart for any reason or crashed. I'm sure they'll get the kinks out in time. This laptop was pretty much collecting dust as I mainly use my Mac Pro, but Mavs was free so I just had to throw it on my MBP to test it out. I hacked my unsupported Mac Pro to run Mavs as well. I guess I'll have to show both machines equal love :D

MisterPunchy

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2013
CA
Has anyone noticed that enhanced dictation In Mavericks doesn't seem to be working very well in pages? It seems to work pretty well in other places(like this web form, for example). But in pages it is completely and utterly useless… Even the old, "non-enhanced" dictation is extremely slow and clunky, and often fails completely.

Anyone else having any success using the enhanced dictation function in the new pages app? Is there anything I can do to fix or improve it?

ron1004

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
Louisville, KY
I'm not happy with Mavericks, so I went back to Mountain Lion. Mavericks was jittery and slow, especially Safari. Apps I use all the time such as Photoshop, Word, iMovie, iPhoto, Lightroom, etc were opening so slow and running so slow. I couldn't take it.

If they release an update that fixes all of that, I will gladly re-install, but until then, I am staying away. :(

Oh, and I had performed a clean install.
I too went back to Mountain Lion.

Mavericks is just too full of bugs, and for me the fact that Gmail no longer works as it should with Mail was the last straw.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I upgraded my main machine (’11 MBP 2.3 i7/16GB 15”) Friday morning and it’s been pretty outstanding.

Once everything settled down/indexing completed, the performance has been at least as good as ML (10.8.5). My mail is working fine (I have a number of accounts on different services), the new full screen/multi-monitor _finally_ works like it should and I’m liking many of the new features.

Also interesting, is my Winders© related tasks seem much faster. Parallels is running quicker (specifically starting/stopping services), and Remote Desktop is much faster (connect/disconnect and general desktop operations).

No incompatibility issues so far, and I’m sure I’ve hit most of my main apps and utilities (MSO 11, Xcode 5, several text editors, Postgres, Parallels, utils like Numi, BTT, GFXStat, Caffeine, etc.)

Also updated the wife’s machine (’10 MBP 2.4C2D/4GB, 13”), and it really seems to have new life.

:cool:

hleewell

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009
Messages Agent seem to keep popping up whenever I restart my Mac.
Anybody knows how to disable this new feature/bane?

Dan156

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2012
Safari is much more smoother than ever.

Mmm. Definitely snappier. :D

One thing I have noticed is that running Ubuntu on VirtualBox to convert videos to .avi format the jobs are completing a LOT faster. Looks like some real under-the-hood optimisation has been going on. Late-2012 mac mini i5 with 16 GB ram.

*edit*

That said, having a native WinFF substitute would be so much better...

Ritsuka

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2006
Mmm. Definitely snappier. :D

One thing I have noticed is that running Ubuntu on VirtualBox to convert videos to .avi format the jobs are completing a LOT faster. Looks like some real under-the-hood optimisation has been going on. Late-2012 mac mini i5 with 16 GB ram.

*edit*

That said, having a native WinFF substitute would be so much better...

WinFF looks like a crappy gui over ffmpeg, what's wrong with the 234234 ffmpeg gui available on os x?

Fofer

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2002
Mavericks is just too full of bugs, and for me the fact that Gmail no longer works as it should with Mail was the last straw.

Well, Mail actually made one change that works *better* with Gmail, and that is, it now properly respects the "All Mail" folder and having it enabled doesn't result in duplicate messages being downloaded. In a sense, this was a very good update for Gmail users, it's just that it's now negatively affecting those users who disabled the "All Mail" folder to make up for the poor incompatibility of these two in the past.

Good write-up here: https://tidbits.com/article/14219

I have also read that Mail.app isn't properly showing new messages from Exchange and/or Gmail accounts, the "push" isn't working correctly, I suppose. And apparently Apple is aware of this and will be issuing a fix soon.

That being said, email is the one application that I vastly prefer to keep as a web app, rather than trying to shoehorn Gmail into an IMAP client. I'm constantly connected so offline access isn't nearly as important to me as ease of use and efficiency. The best answer for me, for years now, has been in the site-specific browser that is MailPlane. It's been nearly perfect for me and I can't see going back to Mail.app (or Sparrow or AirMail or Postbox Unibox) anytime soon, at least not as my primary email app.

Still, Apple should really fix those issues, they should make it so Mail is "optimized" for Gmail's particular way of doing things. Alas, their priority is obviously iCloud...

Also interesting, is my Winders© related tasks seem much faster. Parallels is running quicker (specifically starting/stopping services), and Remote Desktop is much faster (connect/disconnect and general desktop operations).

One thing I have noticed is that running Ubuntu on VirtualBox to convert videos to .avi format the jobs are completing a LOT faster. Looks like some real under-the-hood optimisation has been going on.

I find it really interesting that even virtualized environments of *other* operating systems are seeing speed boosts in Mavericks.

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA
Did Mavs improve 4K playback in Quicktime? Before I had issues playing 4K video on my rMBP, it stuttered a lot. Now it's smooth as butter and looks great!

In other news though, I'm still having issues with Quick Look playing any resolution. I thought the problems were gone, but they're not.

photoj2754

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2013
Akron
Just installed 10.9 on my late 2007 Intel iMac (just made the cut) and things have been very good use wise. Did have to uninstall Photoshop CS2 since it wasn't compatible but am getting Pixelmator to use with my Photo Mechanic program. My original Plants vs. Zombies game also isn't supported. Couple of small questions. Have update for iMovie available but my graphics card won't support it so is there a way to disable the update so it's not sitting there with it's little blue no. 1 all the time? And right now I only have 2 gb of RAM and I'm showing between 1.6-1.9 used after the update. Now I did purchase 2 gb more which will bring my total to 4 (can't use any more on this iMac) but was wondering if there is anything else I should to streamline my computer. Moved a large amount of documents and photos to my external hard drive (I have zero issues with storage) and I have run Disc Doctor but my Onyx program won't work, have to upgrade that also. Otherwise feels good to be up to date and taking time to discover the funs things with this new OS. Thanks for your suggestions.

mactumors

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2008
Have update for iMovie available but my graphics card won't support it so is there a way to disable the update so it's not sitting there with it's little blue no. 1 all the time?

When you update to iMovie 10, iMovie 9 stays in your applications folder. I would just hit update.

photoj2754

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2013
Akron
When you update to iMovie 10, iMovie 9 stays in your applications folder. I would just hit update.
I have tried several times but just keep getting the graphics card not compatible box. iMovie still works if I open it but was just trying to see if I could erase the update in the App Store so it wouldn't be sitting there forever.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
So the ebooks I added to iBooks manually didn’t sync over to my iOS devices ... however, once they’re on the iOS device, they +do+ sync your place! I just kind of figured books that don’t sync would be excluded from other sync related services. I’m assuming bookmarks will too.

Pretty cool. :cool:

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
This ones not really a problem, but when sending mail... not if its one of the bug fixes, but when sending mail "Outbox" appears momentarily, then removes itself from the list of accounts after sending.

Never seen this before 10.9.

You would think the user knows mail is being sent based on the "progress" bar at the bottom.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.