Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Shall I start ?

I have a long list of bugs in Mavericks, just to mention a few :-

1. When setting up mail. you need not enter your name, you can leave it blank, yet after account creation, in the Preferences, Accounts section, you see your name filled in....

That's a no no....... I would have filled it in the GUI it i wanted it.. How dare mail fill it in automatically... :p

2. In System Preferences, App Store, (as attached), if you choose to "only download" and uncheck all other boxes, you still are nagged to death via notification popup, your only options are "Install" and "Later" which basically reminds you :p I would have said this in system preferences otherwise.

3. Also in Mail, your "Account name" is automatically filled in as "domain@server", again not giving ou a choice till only AFTER creation.

4. Same with Gmail/IMAP accounts. and "outgoing SMTP"

Need I go on ??

Mountain Lion was just "fixed" I don't except 10.9.1 would fix any of the above, and if not, i'm hearing back to a stable OS 10.8.x

FYI ... I like this wallpaper :)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-12-04 at 12.01.25 am.png
    Screen Shot 2013-12-04 at 12.01.25 am.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 592

jaknudsen

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2005
Oslo, Norway
2. In System Preferences, App Store, (as attached), if you choose to "only download" and uncheck all other boxes, you still are nagged to death via notification popup, your only options are "Install" and "Later" which basically reminds you :p I would have said this in system preferences otherwise.

There is no setting called "only download".

You have chosen to automatically CHECK for updates, nothing more. What do you expect to happen when new updates are found?

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005

This thread is for, as the OP states, "spotting the small new features that go unadvertised". It is not for listing bugs or other things that don't work.

SarcasticJoe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2013
Finland
I've noticed a bug that's basically been driving me up the wall for the last few weeks...

The way I've sorted my folders since I got my first mac in 2007 was to "Arrange by Type" and it's worked pretty much without a hitch, except until now. With 10.9 I've noticed that in a lot of the folders I'm used to arranging by type Finder won't let me do it. When I try to do it the usual way by right clicking and then selecting it, I'm only given the option to sort by type and when I try to do it from the top pulldown menu the option is greyed out.

You may wonder why I'm complaining when I can still SORT by type, but the reason is that when I do it, the Finder window arranges the different types into one row wide sections of the window that I have to scroll trough sideways or click the "show all"-text at the upper right corner every time I want to find a folder.

Now I found a way to get around this by using the key command for arranging by type (alt+cmd+2) which also re-enables arranging by type both by right clicking and the menu at the top. However whenever I leave that particular folder (even when it's just to check a sub directory of said directory), it reverts back to "Sort by Name" as if Finder doesn't want me to arrange by type. As if this wasn't enough, Finder also occasionally "locks" the key command and to "unlock" it I have to go to one of the folders that still allows for "arranging" files (programs folder being one of them) and using the arrange feature trough the pulldown menu at the top (as finder has locked the key command and the right click way).

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
I had to wait for several of my apps to update for Mavericks, so I installed 10.9 only yesterday.

Seems like labels have been thrown overboard. I loved to color mark my list views, and the little dots (from the Tag approach) aren't enough to mimic that. Means I have to find a new way to replace my long time use of labels. :mad:

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
I had to wait for several of my apps to update for Mavericks, so I installed 10.9 only yesterday.

Seems like labels have been thrown overboard. I loved to color mark my list views, and the little dots (from the Tag approach) aren't enough to mimic that. Means I have to find a new way to replace my long time use of labels. :mad:

I guess the "little things" for one person are bugs for another....

There are LONG threads about labels elsewhere. Suffice it to say you can still color them by applying the little dots, it's just that they don't show up very well. You can also try Path Finder; it will still colorize some stuff like the old labels.

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
I guess the "little things" for one person are bugs for another....

There are LONG threads about labels elsewhere. Suffice it to say you can still color them by applying the little dots, it's just that they don't show up very well. You can also try Path Finder; it will still colorize some stuff like the old labels.

Well, I certainly didn't shout "Bug".
And I know about all the Label threads, in fact I read most of them to discover how I could put the tags to a good use.
Thanks for suggesting Path Finder, but I hope to be OK with Maverick's Finder.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
So when is the release date?

I'm not sure why, but I am still on 10.9 and have the scrolling bug on both GMs. I haven't had the problem for several weeks now. Did Apple release a silent patch?

LadyX

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2012
anyone experience VLC freezes in Mavericks?

I've started to prefer VLC now ever since I updated to Mavericks since QuickTime Player has started to freeze randomly. So, no, VLC works fine on my Pro. I'm having issues with QuickTime instead.

ssls6

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2013
anyone experience VLC freezes in Mavericks?

I haven't but I have experienced what I would call "bus" confusion when you have lots of externals or even internals (I have 4 internals and 2 externals drives). Mini-beach balls while it's figuring something out.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I think i may have to start labeling 10.9 as the new "Vista"

ok, its better than Windows vista, but there are similarities....

They both crash allot. Glad i has 10.8.5 which is far more stable any day than even 10.9.1

"Deliberate" ?? Probably,,, i mean it makes good press for Apple if they purposely did a in-stable OS... and by the time it gets to the final 10.9.5, or whatever the last one would be, its stable as hell..

That's my thinking now, because every time you see the same old roller-coaster ride.

faneos

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2012
I think i may have to start labeling 10.9 as the new "Vista"

ok, its better than Windows vista, but there are similarities....

They both crash allot. Glad i has 10.8.5 which is far more stable any day than even 10.9.1

"Deliberate" ?? Probably,,, i mean it makes good press for Apple if they purposely did a in-stable OS... and by the time it gets to the final 10.9.5, or whatever the last one would be, its stable as hell..

That's my thinking now, because every time you see the same old roller-coaster ride.
I agree what a garbage OS every day a new hidden bug come to surface.The 10.7.0 lion looks the best OS known to human race compare to this sloppy ******.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I've had a couple of crash apps but nothing major. I am seriously disappointed with the OS X Mail App coming from the ridiculously sublime Mail App in iOS 7.

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005

1. When setting up mail. you need not enter your name, you can leave it blank, yet after account creation, in the Preferences, Accounts section, you see your name filled in....

That's a no no....... I would have filled it in the GUI it i wanted it.. How dare mail fill it in automatically... :p

3. Also in Mail, your "Account name" is automatically filled in as "domain@server", again not giving ou a choice till only AFTER creation.

4. Same with Gmail/IMAP accounts. and "outgoing SMTP"

Need I go on ??

Mountain Lion was just "fixed" I don't except 10.9.1 would fix any of the above, and if not, i'm hearing back to a stable OS 10.8.x

FYI ... I like this wallpaper :)

Don't you see a pattern here....? Everything is automated. Meaning to say it is to accommodate dumb people who are either computer-illiterate, or plain lazy to do manual setups and want everything pre-programmed.

That's why pro users have been complaining that ever since Lion, OS X has since dumbed-down. Mavericks just went a few steps further...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.