Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vinsanity93

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2010
Don't know if this was posted already:

When you're on your reading list and you scroll all the way to the top or bottom and keep scrolling, you go into the next link in your reading list.

archagon

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2013
Small detail I just noticed: while in list view in Finder, if you double-click on something, hold down the mouse button, and then immediately move the mouse up or down, you'll select the neighboring elements instead of opening the file/folder. Was this in previous versions of OSX?

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
A really dumb question since I recently got back into using a Mac. Is there a way to view your library folders? Jaguar was the last OS I used and just like Linux you could view all the libraries with the exception of the root folder with a few simple clicks.

This came up when I was trying to copy some wallpapers to my photos folder and I had to do a search in finder.

Other than that i'm really digging Mavs a lot. :cool:

n-evo

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam
A really dumb question since I recently got back into using a Mac. Is there a way to view your library folders? Jaguar was the last OS I used and just like Linux you could view all the libraries with the exception of the root folder with a few simple clicks.

This came up when I was trying to copy some wallpapers to my photos folder and I had to do a search in finder.

You can use the Go command in the Finder and type in ~/Library. There's also a Terminal command to make Library visible again.

53kyle

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2012
Sebastopol, CA

You can make it appear in finder by going to your home/user folder. Next, press the view button in the menu bar, then view options. There should be an option to show it.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
You can make it appear in finder by going to your home/user folder. Next, press the view button in the menu bar, then view options. There should be an option to show it.

Thanks so much ! :)

I also found another way as well. Finder Prefs --> Sidebar --> Devices --> Macintosh HD. You can also display any favorites such as Movies, Music, Pictures etc in the Finder sidebar.

One last question. Should I enable Time Machine and do I need an external drive for that? Is it like Windows System Restore function?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
One last question. Should I enable Time Machine and do I need an external drive for that? Is it like Windows System Restore function?

Yes, you definitely should enable Time Machine with an external disk for backups. It will do a full backup that can be used to boot and restore the entire system. Just grab any inexpensive USB external drive you can find and off you go.

Darthlord90

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2013
I have a problem in mavericks that I didnt have in Mountain Lion. Sometimes when I wake up my Macbook, it gets a black screen and I cant do nothing. Then I hold the power button until it restarts.

Why that happens? Need to restore?

Another problem is with Safari notifications. The notifications work only for a few days....

Last edited:

lelandv

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2013
Sometimes when I wake up my Macbook, it gets a black screen and I cant do nothing. Then I hold the power button until it restarts.

I had the same behaviour from time to time (not always) under Leopard and Snow Leopard... and still have it now under Mavericks -- so I don't think that it's specifically a Mavericks issue....

However, I do notice that now when I put my MBP to "sleep", the CPU cooling fan goes to full blast loudness for nearly 10 whole minutes before going to "sleep", even though the rest of the system is [in theory] suspended.... This behaviour for me is also new in Mavericks -- under S/N as soon as I sent the thing to sleep, the fans and everything (all activity) suspended.

L.

evenworstteddy

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2013
Paris
I had the same behaviour from time to time (not always) under Leopard and Snow Leopard... and still have it now under Mavericks -- so I don't think that it's specifically a Mavericks issue....

However, I do notice that now when I put my MBP to "sleep", the CPU cooling fan goes to full blast loudness for nearly 10 whole minutes before going to "sleep", even though the rest of the system is [in theory] suspended.... This behaviour for me is also new in Mavericks -- under S/N as soon as I sent the thing to sleep, the fans and everything (all activity) suspended.

L.

This looks like an SMC problem. You can reset the SMC by if you have a MBP with a removable battery:
1.Turning off your computer and disconnecting the power cord
2.remove the battery
3.Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds
4.put back the battery and reboot​
or if it's MBP without removable battery:
1.turn off and plug the charger in
2.press power shift control and option(left side) at the same time
3. release them at the same time
4. reboot​

cool11

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2006
5ped7q.jpg

Can somebody help me with this?
I have problem downloading apps that are available only in mac app store.
As you can see, I have version 8.0.2 of microsoft remote desktop, while I can see a new version in mac app store, the 8.0.3.
But as you see, it displays 'installed' button and I cannot update.
Why this happens?
What can I do?

Fofer

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2002
Can somebody help me with this?
I have problem downloading apps that are available only in mac app store.
As you can see, I have version 8.0.2 of microsoft remote desktop, while I can see a new version in mac app store, the 8.0.3.
But as you see, it displays 'installed' button and I cannot update.
Why this happens?
What can I do?

Have you tried manually deleting the version you have installed and then re-downloading a new copy of 8.0.3 manually and directly from the App Store?

Zenton

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2011
I've searched and couldn't find an answer. Is it possible to drag files from a folder in the dock when the folder is displayed in "list view"?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.