Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Platskies

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2012
NSW, Australia
I believe this is new?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-11-04 at 1.53.33 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2013-11-04 at 1.53.33 pm.png
    38 KB · Views: 257

squeakr

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2010
This ones not really a problem, but when sending mail... not if its one of the bug fixes, but when sending mail "Outbox" appears momentarily, then removes itself from the list of accounts after sending.

Never seen this before 10.9.

You would think the user knows mail is being sent based on the "progress" bar at the bottom.

I did see this in ML when my exchange account for work was struggling to send and running slowly. This same exact action described occurred, especially noticed it when sending from outlook in my VM.

evenworstteddy

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2013
Paris
New dictation pop-in

Hey, I just realized that the dictation pop-up permits you to change language without going to system preferences

Attachments

• dictation pop-in.png
    dictation pop-in.png
    30.3 KB · Views: 3,397

n-evo

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam
This ones not really a problem, but when sending mail... not if its one of the bug fixes, but when sending mail "Outbox" appears momentarily, then removes itself from the list of accounts after sending.

Never seen this before 10.9.
Mail has been doing that for as long as I can remember (Mac OS X 10.3 Panther and up). Definitely nothing new to OS X Mavericks.

n-evo

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam
Hey, I just realized that the dictation pop-up permits you to change language without going to system preferences
I'm really annoyed by the fact Siri and Dictation still don't support Dutch. Google is so far ahead of Apple in this aspect, too bad I don't really trust them.

iAmirul

macrumors regular
May 8, 2013
Singapore
Am I the only one getting a distorted screen for 1/2 second(s) before the login screen loads?

Attachments

• a4gh2.png
    a4gh2.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 209

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Mail prefernces not saved

When setting up Mail for the first time, it seems after this last Mail update that fixed Gmail, unfortunately Apple broke saving current settings/views etc..

I constantly must go into preferences constantly even time i start mail to swith back to "Plain Text", and adjust views "Use Classic Layout" checked..

Although signatures remain, and so do your accounts... I dunno abut Rules, cos i haven't got any set up.

Tried trashing all Mail findings in Finder, and doesn't help.... although i was surprised to see this no longer deletes your accounts anymore, Maybe separate ?

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
USA
Strange, testing those same settings on my Mac works just fine and sticks (this is with the recent Mail update applied).

Permissions repair? Try a new test user account to see if that isolates the problem.

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
What the hell is up with RAM management in 10.9?

My 16GB keep getting filled up with garbage. Is there any way to stop safari from using god damn 3GB of RAM and other similar garbage that occurs?

Fzang

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
What the hell is up with RAM management in 10.9?

My 16GB keep getting filled up with garbage. Is there any way to stop safari from using god damn 3GB of RAM and other similar garbage that occurs?

Unused. RAM. Is. Wasted. RAM!

If another application requests more RAM, Safari will stop taking up 3 GB. If nothing else is using the RAM, Safari will use it.

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
Unused. RAM. Is. Wasted. RAM!

If another application requests more RAM, Safari will stop taking up 3 GB. If nothing else is using the RAM, Safari will use it.

Completely agree with that logic, but I hate paging :)

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Completely agree with that logic, but I hate paging :)

And how much are you paging? All you're saying is that Safari using 3GB, you didn't say how much swap was used.

Mavericks improved the memory subsystem A LOT and it was confirmed by pretty much everybody I've talked to. The memory compression feature is working awesomely for me.

I haven't seen any paging since Mavericks' been released. I used to get like 1GB in a week even with 16GB of RAM before Mavericks and now, even with two weeks uptime, I have not touched the disk or even experienced any slowdowns.

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
If you see anything in swap at all, then you are using too much memory. As long as Mavericks doesn't dip into swap you are not using enough. :p
I have iStat menus so I constantly check it

And how much are you paging? All you're saying is that Safari using 3GB, you didn't say how much swap was used.

Mavericks improved the memory subsystem A LOT and it was confirmed by pretty much everybody I've talked to. The memory compression feature is working awesomely for me.

I haven't seen any paging since Mavericks' been released. I used to get like 1GB in a week even with 16GB of RAM before Mavericks and now, even with two weeks uptime, I have not touched the disk or even experienced any slowdowns.

Currently none since I killed it off :)

Its odd. I really feel like my retina eats more memory to exist on 10.9 than it did on 10.8.4

aggri1

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2010
Hi,

quick question.

In Messages, when I try to search the list of contacts (after pressing the little blue plus to make a new message to a new recipient), the search textbox does nothing. Typing text, there's no live search, and nothing happens when I press return or anything. Does anyone else have that?

Just another little annoyance, one of many I've had with this OS.

Cheers, A.

Last edited:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Hi,

quick question.

In Messages, when I try to search the list of contacts (after pressing the little blue plus to make a new message to a new recipient), the search textbox does nothing. Typing text, there's no live search, and nothing happens when I press return or anything. Does anyone else have that?

Just another little annoyance, one of many I've had with this OS.

Cheers, A.

Nope... that auto searches just like you would expect on my machine.

Fofer

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2002
New discovery, long overdue:

The new Contacts application in Mavericks adds the ability to paste a full address in one step. Just paste an address (single or multi-line) into a contact's street address field and the application parses it for you. Works nicely with street address, city, state, and zip!

Finer_Things_in_Tech_%C2%BB_Mavericks__Contacts_finally%E2%80%94FINALLY%E2%80%94understands_pasted_addresses-20131119-211548.jpg

scrmtrey

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2013
Is it possible to check how much Ram is used by integrated graphics card such as HD3000 ?

In real time so the usage show current usage at this moment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.