Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nylon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2004
So almost two weeks ago I got my magic keyboard to use with my 2018 11” iPad Pro. As I wrote on another thread, it completely transformed my usage of the iPad to the extent that it has become my go to device for basic computing over my aging 15” MBP. Here’s the problem though, the more I use the 11” iPad Pro as my primary device the more strained my eyes have become. It’s really sad because I love the size of the 11”. So now I am considering returning the Magic Keyboard and perhaps upgrading the whole setup to a 12.9” iPad Pro but I might wait until the mini led models are released. Anyone else gone through a similar experience?

Last edited:

mpshah27

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2016
I’m going through the exact same situation. Ever since I’ve received the MKB for the 2018 iPad Pro 11 inch its become my goto device for WFH. And all this extra time on the iPad made me realize that I’d prefer the 12.9 inch.
So I went ahead, placed the order for the 2020 iPad Pro 12.9 inch along with the MKB.

Reactions: iGeneo and Jamacfer

nylon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2004
I’m going through the exact same situation. Ever since I’ve received the MKB for the 2018 iPad Pro 11 inch its become my goto device for WFH. And all this extra time on the iPad made me realize that I’d prefer the 12.9 inch.
So I went ahead, placed the order for the 2020 iPad Pro 12.9 inch along with the MKB.

Ok, good to know I’m not the only one. Unfortunately, I can’t shell out the money for a whole new setup now but hopefully by the time the next revision has come around the OS will have evolved and the Apps will have better support for the trackpad.

Reactions: mpshah27

mcvaughan

macrumors 65816
Aug 9, 2007
Houston, TX
I had a 11" 2018 iPP, and ordered the MK. The same day I decided to order a 12.9 2020 iPP with MK. Returned the 11" MK and am happy I went with the larger iPad as I will begin to use it as much as possible. The MK transforms the iPP into a viable laptop replacement, especially with the 12.9.

Reactions: Jamacfer

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I kind of saw it coming a little earlier. I had the 11” Magic Keyboard on order and after seeing all the reviews realized that if I’m going to have a setup this beefy, I may as well go up to the 12.9”. I’ve always wanted to try it anyway. So I sold the 2018 11” iPad Pro I had, returned the 11” MK, and bought a 12.9 with a 12.9 MK. The drawback was that I had to wait a couple of extra weeks to get all my stuff, but I found it to be worth it in the end.

My iPad Pro is my main computer, and I’ve been making do with the smaller models since the 1st gen. I had to see how the other half lived.

Reactions: Jamacfer

MiamiBourne

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2009
I’m on the same boat. Upgraded recently to the 11” iPad Pro and Magic Keyboard from my 6 year old iPad Air 2 and I since I find myself using the new iPad Pro like I would a laptop I wonder if the 12.9 would be better. I’m still a few days away from my return window ending so I guess I will have to make a decision soon...

Also I would also be using my iPad Pro for photo and video editing which sounds like the 12.9 would be better for. I just like the portability of the 11”...decisions decisions.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I’m on the same boat. Upgraded recently to the 11” iPad Pro and Magic Keyboard from my 6 year old iPad Air 2 and I since I find myself using the new iPad Pro like I would a laptop I wonder if the 12.9 would be better. I’m still a few days away from my return window ending so I guess I will have to make a decision soon...

Also I would also be using my iPad Pro for photo and video editing which sounds like the 12.9 would be better for. I just like the portability of the 11”...decisions decisions.

I can tell you from experience that LumaFusion and the Affinity apps are better with more screen real estate.

nylon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2004

This. What has happened, at least for me, is that the Magic keyboard has provided a paradigm shift for the iPad. I love my 11” and its portability. It’s great as a tablet used for reading and a few other minor tasks from time to time. However, with the magic keyboard the iPad becomes far closer to a laptop replacement, and in that scenario and increased screen time the 11” suddenly becomes too small a screen. I don’t think I’ve ever been in such a weird device limbo like this. The iPad used to have a fairly well defined usability place as a device. As it encroaches on laptop replacement the lines are starting to get blurred and so is the decision tree.

Last edited:

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
This. What has happened, at least for me, is that the Magic keyboard has provided a paradigm shift for the iPad. I love my 11” and its portability. It’s great as a tablet used for reading a few other minor tasks from time to time. However, with the magic keyboard the iPad becomes far closer to a laptop replacement, and in that scenario and increased screen time the 11” suddenly becomes too small a screen. I don’t think I’ve ever been in such a weird device limbo like this. The iPad used to have a fairly well defined usability place as a device. As it encroaches on laptop replacement the lines are starting to get blurred and so is the decision tree.

I still find it enjoyable to use the 12.9” model as a tablet or to use my Apple Pencil. I just pop the iPad off the keyboard. I have a dBrand skin on it so I don’t have to worry about scuffing it up. It’s still only the size of a sheet of computer paper—hardly unmanageable.

nylon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2004
I still find it enjoyable to use the 12.9” model as a tablet or to use my Apple Pencil. I just pop the iPad off the keyboard. I have a dBrand skin on it so I don’t have to worry about scuffing it up. It’s still only the size of a sheet of computer paper—hardly unmanageable.

I don’t know. When I was purchasing my 11” over 2 years ago I felt the 12.9” was too cumbersome for long term usage in the hand. The 11” can be used for long period one handed with no fatigue. The thing is with the Magic Keyboard I tend to keep the tablet attached to the keyboard a lot more and use it less as just a tablet in my hand. The whole experience has been very strange.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
The whole experience has been very strange.
I’ve found that I really enjoy using my iPad without the case in portrait. whenI’m typing thickness doesn’t matter. When I’m holding it, I like the feel better than when I flipped my other case backwards.

nylon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2004
I’ve found that I really enjoy using my iPad without the case in portrait. whenI’m typing thickness doesn’t matter. When I’m holding it, I like the feel better than when I flipped my other case backwards.

Yeah, I never used my 11” with any sort of case, keyboard case or otherwise. I purchased a Brydge keyboard a year go, which was a big waste of money as it neither provided a decent typing exprience or any trackpad and was a hassle to attach and remove the iPad from.

Jamacfer

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2015
京都市
I did the same :)

Reactions: mpshah27

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
Yep makes sense. My primary device was the 2018 11” with Smart Keyboard + Apple Pencil used as my mouse. When I saw the 2020 models announced, along with the Magic Keyboard, I thought about just getting one for my 11”.

But then I figured it likely be a pretty awesome experience to just go all-out and get a 12.9” and Magic Keyboard. I love it! I don’t mind the extra weight. The whole package feels very solid. Like if you dropped it on your foot it would really hurt ha.

Now the 12.9” + Smart Keyboard is my go-to device around the house. The biggest difference between the 12.9 and the 11 is the aspect ratio. The 12.9 has is 1.33:1 where the 11” is 1.43:1. To me, it’s a big difference, and I think I actually prefer the more “widescreen” ratio of the 11”. But maybe my eyes/brain just need to get used to the 4:3 ratio of the big daddy.

Reactions: Jára Tyky

nylon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2004
Yep makes sense. My primary device was the 2018 11” with Smart Keyboard + Apple Pencil used as my mouse. When I saw the 2020 models announced, along with the Magic Keyboard, I thought about just getting one for my 11”.

But then I figured it likely be a pretty awesome experience to just go all-out and get a 12.9” and Magic Keyboard. I love it! I don’t mind the extra weight. The whole package feels very solid. Like if you dropped it on your foot it would really hurt ha.

Now the 12.9” + Smart Keyboard is my go-to device around the house. The biggest difference between the 12.9 and the 11 is the aspect ratio. The 12.9 has is 1.33:1 where the 11” is 1.43:1. To me, it’s a big difference, and I think I actually prefer the more “widescreen” ratio of the 11”. But maybe my eyes/brain just need to get used to the 4:3 ratio of the big daddy.

Yeah, 4:3 ratio is great for productivity. How are movies etc on the 12.9”, are there large black bars?

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
Yes, sold my 11, bought a 2018 12.9 and the MK. It is killer.

Keyboard is light years better than my 2018 MBP 15.
The more I’ve taken tasks away from my Mac over the years and given them to my iPad Pro, the more I’ve felt like I’m trying to shoehorn them into an 11” screen. That especially became the case when I started doing a lot of projects in LumaFusion. Couldn’t resist anymore and sized up this year.

I think it just makes more and more sense as the platform evolves that people start feeling like moving up to the larger size as workflows change.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
I'm actually surprised apple aren't making a 17" tablet yet for artistic types. Microsoft did.

Something that is unashamedly a desktop based tablet first. Not intended to be super portable, but intended to be a primary work device at a desk for the type of workload that is ideal for a tablet.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I'm actually surprised apple aren't making a 17" tablet yet for artistic types. Microsoft did.

Something that is unashamedly a desktop based tablet first. Not intended to be super portable, but intended to be a primary work device at a desk for the type of workload that is ideal for a tablet.
It would be a very niche device, but there would be a market for it.

nylon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2004
Honestly, I think this year is a bit of a transition year for iPad. A14 will bring 5nm chips with lower power draw and mini led will bring thinner display structures. The efficiencies could mean smaller batteries as a result. I expect the next iteration to be significant design change resulting in a lighter and thinner product and I also expect the camera placement to change to the landscape position, at least on the 12.9” version. Also, if there is going to be an ARM transition on the MacOS side of things, I’m wondering if there will be a dual boot option on the iPad in the future. If MacOS on ARM happens, the way I see it, I think the iPad is going to replace the lower end of the Mac spectrum and leave the the full blown laptops as Pro only. That’s how I see the evolution over the next few years. The Magic Keyboard is clearly advertising evolutionary intent.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aluminum213

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
Honestly, I think this year is a bit of a transition year for iPad. A14 will bring 5nm chips with lower power draw and mini led will bring thinner display structures. The efficiencies could mean smaller batteries as a result. I expect the next iteration to be significant design change resulting in a lighter and thinner product and I also expect the camera placement to change to the landscape position, at least on the 12.9” version. Also, if there is going to be an ARM transition on the MacOS side of things, I’m wondering if there will be a dual boot option on the iPad in the future. If MacOS on ARM happens, the way I see it, I think the iPad is going to replace the lower end of the Mac spectrum and leave the the full blown laptops as Pro only. That’s how I see the evolution over the next few years. The Magic Keyboard is clearly advertising evolutionary intent.

I think the iPad Pro will have one more generation with this design, only because they JUST introduced the Magic Keyboard. If there is another one with A14/5G/mini LED this year, I would expect it to be the same design.

nylon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2004
I think the iPad Pro will have one more generation with this design, only because they JUST introduced the Magic Keyboard. If there is another one with A14/5G/mini LED this year, I would expect it to be the same design.

Oh, I think the shape will remain the same no doubt. But I expect it to be thinner and lighter. That’s what I meant by design change. I don’t expect to see it this year but one can hope.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.