Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Salty Pirate

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2005
kansas city
The more I’ve taken tasks away from my Mac over the years and given them to my iPad Pro, the more I’ve felt like I’m trying to shoehorn them into an 11” screen. That especially became the case when I started doing a lot of projects in LumaFusion. Couldn’t resist anymore and sized up this year.

I think it just makes more and more sense as the platform evolves that people start feeling like moving up to the larger size as workflows change.

If there was a 15, I would buy that.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
No it wouldn't. Apple does this all the time and it's never been a big issue. People accept that changes in form factor require new accessories.
Example please? Like an accessory made obsolete in <2 years that was $300+ or >30% of the original product’s price. Apple Watch bands, nope. OEM phone cases? Nope. Trackpad/keyboard? Nope.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
Its interesting that you're using the iPad more than your 15" laptop now. I was starting to think of the 11" with Magic Keyboard as a perfect compliment to the 15" MBP now, for those times where you're on the move and just want something small and lightweight.

Reactions: nylon

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
The problem with a 12.9 inch iPad Pro is still the same, if you remove it from the case and use it in portrait mode it is still unwieldy to use in portrait , but of course it’s great if you’re always going to keep a docked like a laptop

Reactions: rkuo

Jamacfer

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2015
京都市
The problem with a 12.9 inch iPad Pro is still the same, if you remove it from the case and use it in portrait mode it is still unwieldy to use in portrait , but of course it’s great if you’re always going to keep a docked like a laptop
I always use the 12.9" in portrait mode even in bed and couch and when you get used to it (after a few days) it is great and usually much better then the 11". The secret is using it without any case. I would prefer the 11" only for reading novels (anyway the Kindle is over the top)
[automerge]1589363416[/automerge]
Its interesting that you're using the iPad more than your 15" laptop now. I was starting to think of the 11" with Magic Keyboard as a perfect compliment to the 15" MBP now, for those times where you're on the move and just want something small and lightweight.
If you own a 15"MBP I do agree that the 11" is the best choice. 12.9" is the way to go to consider it as a great "hybrid" between a laptop and a tablet.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010

I don't know if I agree with that. For the first three generations of iPad Pro, I had the smaller model and almost never used it in portrait mode. Even when reading books, I would put it in landscape with 1 page per side of the screen--just like a real book would be. I have been doing the same with my 12.9" Pro.

I always use the 12.9" in portrait mode even in bed and couch and when you get used to it (after a few days) it is great and usually much better then the 11". The secret is using it without any case. I would prefer the 11" only for reading novels (anyway the Kindle is over the top)
[automerge]1589363416[/automerge]

If you own a 15"MBP I do agree that the 11" is the best choice. 12.9" is the way to go to consider it as a great "hybrid" between a laptop and a tablet.

I can't agree with this either. I have a 15" MBP and a 12.9" iPP. Why both? Because I do all my photo editing, video editing, artwork, and graphic design on my iPad Pro. If you're a heavy user of some of the more high powered iPad Pro apps, or even if you want a more portable laptop, you want the 12.9" model. It's really not a ton bigger than the 11" model--as Apple stated in 2018, it's only about the size of a sheet of 8.5x11 paper.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Well I just bought an 11”, having had an 11” before and selling it (long story but it seemed to make sense at the time). I struggled with the decision, but having used an Air 3 and then a mini in between 11” pros (I have definitely played musical iPads this year), I’m super happy having this 11” pro back. My needs aren’t as great as some, but I want a versatile device, and sitting here with the device in my lap, I just don’t think I would personally be as comfortable with the 12.9. I know I’d love it on the desk/keyboard, but in my lap, this one is just right.

jagooch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2009
Denver, co
I think working from home these past several weeks has fundamentally changed my workflow. Previously I had the 11” iPad pro 2018, but went with the 2020 12.9“ iPad Pro this time around and I couldn’t be happier with my decision. The Magic Keyboard in addition to the larger iPad have become a workhorse. I really loved the portable form factor of the 11” but the screen size always felt too limited for me when working. I love the idea that my 12.9“ iPad Pro + MK is a full on (almost 13”) laptop until I tear the screen away and use it as a tablet. That was an important factor for me in deciding to upgrade to the larger iPad this year. I guess time will tell if I feel the same when I start commuting to/from work everyday with my iPad and MK in tow.
How is the MK while commuting? I have the smart keyboard and use it on my lap when I can find a seat in the train. When forces to stand ( no seats available ) I hold it in one hand or put it away.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia

Yeah, the main reason I want a 12.9 is to use in portrait, on a desk, with a pencil.

I use my iPad mostly for sketching diagrams and note-taking in OneNote or notes. and especially with a case, it feels cramped.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

jcshas

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2003
How is the MK while commuting? I have the smart keyboard and use it on my lap when I can find a seat in the train. When forces to stand ( no seats available ) I hold it in one hand or put it away.
I haven’t commuted with it yet due to the pandemic. However, since Apple introduced the iPad Air with MK and almost all of the same features of the Pro, I might eventually get the iPad Air instead. Aside from Touch ID vs. Face ID, the iPad Air is essentially all that I need.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.