Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
I thought about it myself but the 2020 iPad Pro is obviously the minor update before the next major iPad Pro update and that’s going to be micro LED. So I got no problem waiting till next year for a more significant update than just size

Robby29

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2012
Get the 12.9. I bought the 11 2020 with the MK... a week later I returned both and ordered the 12.9 with MK. MK just makes it more useful with more screen and spaces

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I thought about it myself but the 2020 iPad Pro is obviously the minor update before the next major iPad Pro update and that’s going to be micro LED. So I got no problem waiting till next year for a more significant update than just size

I'm skeptical that there's a 5th gen iPad Pro coming in 2020. I'm somewhat skeptical of it happening in 2021 as well. I was actually skeptical of that before the COVID-19 crisis. If there is one coming soon just for the sake of getting things switched over to micro LED, I don't think there is going to be a form factor change so soon after releasing the Magic Keyboard. If you need an iPad Pro now, micro LED is not worth waiting for. If you don't need an iPad Pro now, micro LED could be worth waiting for if that kind of thing is important to you.

Not that it matters--I'll probably buy it either way because I'm a sucker.
[automerge]1589233897[/automerge]
Get the 12.9. I bought the 11 2020 with the MK... a week later I returned both and ordered the 12.9 with MK. MK just makes it more useful with more screen and spaces

Here's how it happened for me--I had a battery issue with my 11" 2018 and had to get it replaced by Apple. There was a misunderstanding between myself and the support people I worked with, and they ended up doing it no charge even though it was out of warranty. The problem was that the one I sent them was cosmetically perfect and the refurb they sent to me was not, even though the serial# lookup I did on it showed that it had just been manufactured. I will also admit that I'm super picky, so it's hard for me to consider something to be in good cosmetic shape. I'm pretty relentless about that.

Either way--I sold the replacement and took the opportunity to finally upgrade to a 12.9" model. It was time.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
I think the iPad Pro will have one more generation with this design, only because they JUST introduced the Magic Keyboard. If there is another one with A14/5G/mini LED this year, I would expect it to be the same design.

Guaranteed this design will be around 2+ years. The backlash Apple would face for making a $300/$350 keyboard accessory obsolete in <2 years would be catastrophic.

nylon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2004
Guaranteed this design will be around 2+ years. The backlash Apple would face for making a $300/$350 keyboard accessory obsolete in <2 years would be catastrophic.

LOL! I wouldn’t underestimate Apple in this regard. They’ll keep the original MK around and add another one to the lineup as and when required.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
LOL! I wouldn’t underestimate Apple in this regard. They’ll keep the original MK around and add another one to the lineup as and when required.
Historically they just don’t change iPad designs that quickly. I’d probably count on at least one more generation of this design.

I could be wrong though. This is Apple we’re talking about.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
Historically they just don’t change iPad designs that quickly. I’d probably count on at least one more generation of this design.

We’re kinda past the point of monumental performance improvements for an iPad/tablet design, at this point in time. Which means, they can keep this form factor around for several years. It’s not like anyone is buying an Android tablet because its form factor is better than an iPad Pro.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
We’re kinda past the point of monumental performance improvements for an iPad/tablet design, at this point in time. Which means, they can keep this form factor around for several years. It’s not like anyone is buying an Android tablet because its form factor is better than an iPad Pro.
Agree. The current iPad Pro form factor is still quite new (Relatively speaking) and worlds better than the iPad/Air/mini in my opinion. I’m not even sure what the point would be of making it any thinner. If anything the bezels continue shrinking until they’re almost nothing.

nylon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2004

I expect performance improvements from A-Series chips. As I stated earlier, I wouldn’t be surprised at a thinner and lighter device with the same screen dimensions. Not sure if that would require a new keyboard or not.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Guaranteed this design will be around 2+ years. The backlash Apple would face for making a $300/$350 keyboard accessory obsolete in in <2 years would be catastrophic.

Apple just needs to change the camera layout (yet again) to justify selling a new magic keyboard.

Personally for me, if money and space wasn’t an issue, I would hold on to my current 11” iPad Pro for use at work, while also getting the new 12.9” iPad Pro and magic keyboard for when I want to type at my desk. But at this point, it’s really more of an irrational want than any real genuine need.

Np2350

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2020
Apple just needs to change the camera layout (yet again) to justify selling a new magic keyboard.

Personally for me, if money and space wasn’t an issue, I would hold on to my current 11” iPad Pro for use at work, while also getting the new 12.9” iPad Pro and magic keyboard for when I want to type at my desk. But at this point, it’s really more of an irrational want than any real genuine need.

Or just shift the smart connectors over a few inches ?

• Haha
Reactions: ejin222

Tdosthp

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2015
Like the OP and others, I would love to go back to the 12.9 with MK, but my work supplies my iPad and won’t purchase the larger iPads. I did purchase the MK out of my pocket and it has changed my usage of an iPad for the better/more frequent.

jcshas

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2003
I think working from home these past several weeks has fundamentally changed my workflow. Previously I had the 11” iPad pro 2018, but went with the 2020 12.9“ iPad Pro this time around and I couldn’t be happier with my decision. The Magic Keyboard in addition to the larger iPad have become a workhorse. I really loved the portable form factor of the 11” but the screen size always felt too limited for me when working. I love the idea that my 12.9“ iPad Pro + MK is a full on (almost 13”) laptop until I tear the screen away and use it as a tablet. That was an important factor for me in deciding to upgrade to the larger iPad this year. I guess time will tell if I feel the same when I start commuting to/from work everyday with my iPad and MK in tow.

Jamacfer

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2015
京都市
I think working from home these past several weeks has fundamentally changed my workflow. Previously I had the 11” iPad pro 2018, but went with the 2020 12.9“ iPad Pro this time around and I couldn’t be happier with my decision. The Magic Keyboard in addition to the larger iPad have become a workhorse. I really loved the portable form factor of the 11” but the screen size always felt too limited for me when working. I love the idea that my 12.9“ iPad Pro + MK is a full on (almost 13”) laptop until I tear the screen away and use it as a tablet. That was an important factor for me in deciding to upgrade to the larger iPad this year. I guess time will tell if I feel the same when I start commuting to/from work everyday with my iPad and MK in tow.

Same decision for me

Reactions: jcshas

Tdosthp

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2015

You guys are making me jealous, with the larger screens!!!

Reactions: jcshas

Np2350

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2020
You guys are making me jealous, with the larger screens!!!

I decided to upgrade from a 10.5 pro to 12.9 (2020) had the pencil, skins, folio and a nice native union sleeve arrive and still no sign of the iPad or magic keyboard ? it's taunting me

ejin222

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011

Historically would be hard to judge. The rounded Pro design came in at 2015 and the squared off Pro design came in 2018. Then, they made the Air 3 compatible with the 2015 designed Smart Keyboard.

Even though the Magic Keyboard just came out, I can see Apple redesigning the next generation of Pros and then using the previous 11" Pro as the new Air 4 so that it's still compatible with the 2020 MK.

To me, that's how Cook will financially keep the MK relevant for years while forcing new buyers onto the next generation of Pros and MK's.

The current MK was snapped up by early adopters and came with great praise. To change the design next year wouldn't harm Apple because the praise for the 1st gen was so high. Sure, early adopters may whine like we always do (haha me included), but after 2 years, we will buy the 2nd-3rd gen MK anyway.

That's what I've seen Cook do with Apple recently anyway.

Reactions: Ghost31

tops2

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2014
I’ve just ordered an iPad Pro 11” 2018 (Apple refurb) yesterday.

During this work from home, I’ve been either using my large ~15” windows laptop or (mostly) my iPad mini4. On rare occasion, I’ve even used split screen on my iPad mini4... I’m thinking the 11” is large enough, but from the comments here, sounds like I should just return the 11” and go for a 12.9” one... lol..

Jamacfer

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2015
京都市
I’ve just ordered an iPad Pro 11” 2018 (Apple refurb) yesterday.

During this work from home, I’ve been either using my large ~15” windows laptop or (mostly) my iPad mini4. On rare occasion, I’ve even used split screen on my iPad mini4... I’m thinking the 11” is large enough, but from the comments here, sounds like I should just return the 11” and go for a 12.9” one... lol..
I think so because you're gonna start to enjoy it. ?

Reactions: tops2

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
Historically would be hard to judge. The rounded Pro design came in at 2015 and the squared off Pro design came in 2018. Then, they made the Air 3 compatible with the 2015 designed Smart Keyboard.

Even though the Magic Keyboard just came out, I can see Apple redesigning the next generation of Pros and then using the previous 11" Pro as the new Air 4 so that it's still compatible with the 2020 MK.

To me, that's how Cook will financially keep the MK relevant for years while forcing new buyers onto the next generation of Pros and MK's.

The current MK was snapped up by early adopters and came with great praise. To change the design next year wouldn't harm Apple because the praise for the 1st gen was so high. Sure, early adopters may whine like we always do (haha me included), but after 2 years, we will buy the 2nd-3rd gen MK anyway.

That's what I've seen Cook do with Apple recently anyway.

Good point--however, the first two generations of iPad Pro were just slightly modified versions of the iPad Air/mini design they'd been using since what, 2013? And they're still using that same design in the iPad, iPad mini, and iPad Air. I just don't see the current iPad Pro design getting dumped so soon. And I definitely don't see the point in making it thinner, but, again, I don't make the decisions in Cupertino. :)

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
Or just shift the smart connectors over a few inches ?
Remember when they went from iPad 2 to iPad 3 with Retina and switched the magnet poles around in the Smart Covers so you had to buy a new one? I'm still raw about that move.

Np2350

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2020
Remember when they went from iPad 2 to iPad 3 with Retina and switched the magnet poles around in the Smart Covers so you had to buy a new one? I'm still raw about that move.
5D8E8461-B4F5-4886-BC02-FAC3529E4EC8.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: ejin222

JayMysterio

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
I'm actually surprised apple aren't making a 17" tablet yet for artistic types. Microsoft did.

Something that is unashamedly a desktop based tablet first. Not intended to be super portable, but intended to be a primary work device at a desk for the type of workload that is ideal for a tablet.
It would be a very niche device, but there would be a market for it.
I'd look forward to it. I do agree it would be a very select market, but it's a market that Apple would like. It's a product that would be in studios. It would be the tablet that architects, artists, & designers would use in house instead of Wacom. But it could be moved anywhere within the studio easily as needed, or even taken to clients to demonstrate product in hand. It's the nice if you can afford it complement to those iMac & Mac Pros that professionals might lust for.

You know how the fanboys are, once it's something that pros embrace, it will trickle into more of the regular consumers who want pro equipment themselves.

I could even see music producers loving the bigger interface.

It wouldn't be the device that regular consumers would need or buy because of price, but it would be the thing that truly emphasize the title of Pro in iPad Pro.

Reactions: throAU

rkuo

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2010
No it wouldn't. Apple does this all the time and it's never been a big issue. People accept that changes in form factor require new accessories.
Performance is far from the only thing that drives form factor changes. The last redesign enabled thinner bezels, face ID, a new dockable Apple Pencil, and a repositioned smart connector that made new smart connector accessories possible. Hell, sometimes a redesign can be done for no reason at all except to create a fresh visibly new look that sells the product.

Performance itself has been slowing down, but Apple basically held back one processor generation with the 2020 refresh, and they've been holding back on RAM for 4 years. So there's a lot of performance headroom to add back in when Apple is ready.

Reactions: Unregistered 4U

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Performance vs. the desire for a larger tablet is irrelevant.

If you use an iPad to draw on for example, 10-11" is very limiting and 13" isn't much better.

How often do you see draftsmen, photo or video editors working with a 13" screen?

No. There's a market for something up to at least A3 or A2 paper size (i.e., 27" or even larger) if the apps are there and the product exists. How many old school managers (who hate traditional computers for that matter) do you know with the desk planner pads? They're huge.

If that was synced with a 10-11" iPad (or their phone or whatever) that they can take with them wherever they go, they'd love it. All their scribbles with them, everywhere.

Plus their email, electronic calendar, etc. on their "desk planner" where they've always had it - just updated in real time.

Reactions: JayMysterio
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.