Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which is the best iPad Pro ?

• Total voters

MCube74

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2010
Hong Kong
Getting the 11” iPad Pro is like getting a slighter bigger iPad Pro 10.5 from last year.

The size is same but slightly bigger screen.

The big advantage is with 12.9”. When compared to older 12.9” iPad Pro the new one is smaller with the same screen size.

So generally speaking it is the one most people will be ordering since you get a big screen with a smaller form factor.

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
I suggest trying them both a lot in store if you can. A few years back I was dead set on the 10.5" at first but after using it side by side with the 12.9" I started favoring the bigger model. It's better for multitasking and offers a more desktop like experience. Obviously nicer for watching videos too.

KennethS

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2011
UK
I just ordered a 12.9" and based on shipping estimates it seems the 12.9" is the more popular choice (here in the UK at least). Delivery estimate is already pushed out to 20 November on the early end, so I will go to a store next week and check them out in person to confirm my size choice. Gives me time to cancel the order in the unlikely event I decide I prefer the 10.5". I am not the type of person who orders both sizes knowing I will only be keeping one.

schmidt65

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
Currently have the 10.5, and previously had the 12.9 and 9.7 Pro.

Initially ordered the 12.9 as wanted to go back to the larger screen, however I use my 10.5 so much at the moment walking around the office and other branches, taking notes on OneNote, marking up PDFs, and pulling up information from our system. Even with reduced bezel I still think the 12.9 will be too large for working like this (especially as my note taking is in portrait with iPad in one hand, pencil in the other)/ Also significant is still the weight difference. Virtually 1lb for the 11, 1.4lb for the 12.9 (40% heavier).

Therefore reconsidered and cancelled the 12.9 and ordered the 11". Sure I'll miss the extra screen real estate, but at 12.9" it virtually the same size as my MacBook Pro - so I may as well use that instead.
[doublepost=1540980558][/doublepost]
Yes 12.9” is best for multitasking.

Also great for notes and drawing.
Depends how you take your notes. Yes if sat at a desk it's better, however if walking around an office taking notes, giving presentations, the 11" is better for note taking imo. Far lighter and easier to hold in one hand, with pencil in the other.

AlexJoda

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2015
Currently have the 10.5, and previously had the 12.9 and 9.7 Pro.

Initially ordered the 12.9 as wanted to go back to the larger screen, however I use my 10.5 so much at the moment walking around the office and other branches, taking notes on OneNote, marking up PDFs, and pulling up information from our system. Even with reduced bezel I still think the 12.9 will be too large for working like this (especially as my note taking is in portrait with iPad in one hand, pencil in the other)/ Also significant is still the weight difference. Virtually 1lb for the 11, 1.4lb for the 12.9 (40% heavier).

Therefore reconsidered and cancelled the 12.9 and ordered the 11". Sure I'll miss the extra screen real estate, but at 12.9" it virtually the same size as my MacBook Pro - so I may as well use that instead.
[doublepost=1540980558][/doublepost]
Depends how you take your notes. Yes if sat at a desk it's better, however if walking around an office taking notes, giving presentations, the 11" is better for note taking imo. Far lighter and easier to hold in one hand, with pencil in the other.

You are right. The 12.9 is only smaller in the horizontal dimension by 1 cm on each side. It might weight even more with the new Smart Folio case/keyboard which is double sided....

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
I originally ordered an 11”, but now i’ve also ordered a 12.9” from Best Buy. I think I’m going to go 12.9”.

My main thing was finding out that Apple still didn’t change the size classes on the 11” - so when two apps are split 50/50 they are still using iPhone size UI’s and not iPad size like the 12.9”. That was the one thing I missed from my short time with the original 12.9”, it just makes it feel like much more of a desktop level experience.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I went with the 11 inch. I was hoping for a significant drop in weight for the 12.9, but it's apparently the same. The price is just too high and I like the extreme mobility of the 11. I could easily see myself having both one day. One for desk use, and one for mobile.

schmidt65

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
I originally ordered an 11”, but now i’ve also ordered a 12.9” from Best Buy. I think I’m going to go 12.9”.

My main thing was finding out that Apple still didn’t change the size classes on the 11” - so when two apps are split 50/50 they are still using iPhone size UI’s and not iPad size like the 12.9”. That was the one thing I missed from my short time with the original 12.9”, it just makes it feel like much more of a desktop level experience.

There's definitely a change with the size classes on the 11". This video (screenshot attached) shows the 11" with the mail app open on the left, and the message app open on the right. The mail app shows the full mail, as well as the mailboxes on the left. My 10.5" doesn't do this - it just shows the mailboxes as a slideover.

Attachments

• IMG_0176.jpg
    IMG_0176.jpg
    357.8 KB · Views: 9,915

kinster

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2006
There's definitely a change with the size classes on the 11". This video (screenshot attached) shows the 11" with the mail app open on the left, and the message app open on the right. The mail app shows the full mail, as well as the mailboxes on the left. My 10.5" doesn't do this - it just shows the mailboxes as a slideover.

Similar to iPhone’s and the Plus/Max models.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA

I hadn't seen this. Yea it's definitely different than my 10.5. It should be interesting to see how everything works on the new models.

Reactions: strategicthinke

rossy100

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2011
The original 12.9 inch is the only Apple device I've ever returned..... loved the screen but it just wasn't practical to use as a 'mobile' device when travelling etc. The 10.5 I have now has been excellent and is a great size.

The idea of the bigger screen in smaller footprint is still very appealing (a bit like plus sized phones) and so I decided to order both sizes to try and will return one of them!

The reviews I've read post event are very encouraging re the size/handling of the 12.9 and so I suspect this is the one I will keep.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
The original 12.9 inch is the only Apple device I've ever returned..... loved the screen but it just wasn't practical to use as a 'mobile' device when travelling etc. The 10.5 I have now has been excellent and is a great size.

The idea of the bigger screen in smaller footprint is still very appealing (a bit like plus sized phones) and so I decided to order both sizes to try and will return one of them!

The reviews I've read post event are very encouraging re the size/handling of the 12.9 and so I suspect this is the one I will keep.

I considered doing the same, when I saw the 12.9's weight hadn't been reduced, I decided it wasn't for me. Plus, that price, ouch.

ckiggins

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I am still waffling. I have a 15" MBP and the iPhone XS Max so I was thinking the 11" would be a good "in between" for those. I used to own a 12.9 and am wondering if the 11 is going to be too small - but I don't want it to be redundant to my MBP. Thoughts?

(Edit: I already purchased the 11" through Best Buy last night but am trying to decide whether to switch that o the 12.9, but the $200 difference is also a consideration).

Last edited:

Trouble1

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2007
Thailand
iPad 11" is what I'm buying.
My friend has the 12.9 and just way too big, even with the reduced bezel, it's too heavy. I can almost guarantee I'm not going to like it. The 11" is perfect for traveling and using in public without feeling like I'm wielding a giant book.

I'll be getting the keyboard and pen too. Admittedly, the keyboard for the larger model is easier to use, although I think I can adjust to the 11"

The USB-C (3.1 gen 2) is going to be nice. Need to see if it will work with my GH5.
NO headphone jack...lol. Buy the EarPods.

LOVE my iPad mini, but just too small for real world stuff.

Last edited:

Sumter

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2014
I had 12.9" for note taking purposes. I walked around a lot with it and whipped it out to take notes at a moment's notice. It was too big and heavy. I used it for about a year.

I switched to 10.5" eventually. At first I missed the bigger screen but it's so much more convenient to carry around. I got adjusted to the smaller screen. It's not that small anyway. I realized mobility is a fairly big factor for me. I did not hesitate on getting 11" this time.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Interesting, I'm hoping someone with review units will try it out (Or has tried it out.) In that case though it is the 75/25 split which does seem to have changed for the better, but I'm referring to the 50/50 which on the 12.9" gives you two full size portrait iPad layouts side by side. In the Xcode simulator I tried it just gave me iPhone views on the 11".

metalsiren

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2017
yea I am in the same boat, I ordered the 11 since I have the 10.5 and the 12.9 the last time was to big. I might go to the apple store to check out the 12.9 on Wed

Jetcat3

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2015
Something to consider is that the 11” aspect ratio stretched horizontally and became better for 16:9,18:9, and 21:9 aspect ratio media. You get a 15% increase in area for 16:9 content over the 10.5” Pro. You’re basically getting a taller display this time with the 11” and as a result the increased area is only 7.75% over the 10.5” Not even close to the 17.5% increase the 10.5” gave over the 9.7”.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.