Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which is the best iPad Pro ?

• Total voters

atownguy

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2020
I cannot tell you how torn I am on this- right now I have the 12.9 and the Mini, which I think is a good combo, but part of me thinks it makes more sense to sell both and consolidate those into an 11 inch to see if it’s the perfect middle ground.

I use the 12.9 as my main computer (I have pretty basic needs with email, Microsoft Office, web browsing, occasional media consumption). Because it’s my main computer I always just assumed the larger one made more sense, but I feel like my use case is simple enough that an 11 inch would be fine…hmm….

Last edited:

rkuo

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2010
I cannot tell you how torn I am on this- right now I have the 12.9 and the Mini, which I think is a good combo, but part of me thinks it makes more sense to sell both and consolidate those into an 11 inch to see if it’s the perfect middle ground.

I use the 12.9 as my main computer (I have pretty basic needs with email, office, web browsing, occasional media consumption). Because it’s my main computer I always just assumed the larger one made more sense, but I feel like my use case is simple enough that an 11 inch would be fine…hmm….
Stick with the 12.9. It’s way more usable for that kind of work.

rkuo

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2010
Depends how good your eyes are. I can mostly get by with the 11” in more space mode but I understand that it makes the buttons and text quite small.
Sure, but for a main computer the 12.9's extra screen space just makes more sense. It makes a big difference at that screen size. I think the 11" niche is as more of an accessory / portable focused computing device.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009

I use the 12.9 as my main computer (I have pretty basic needs with email, office, web browsing, occasional media consumption). Because it’s my main computer I always just assumed the larger one made more sense, but I feel like my use case is simple enough that an 11 inch would be fine…hmm….

I'm in such a similar situation having both the 12.9 and the mini, but always thinking about the 11.

I do think when using it as a primary computer (to an extent), that the larger screen is worthwhile. Especially with multiple windows, stage manager, etc.

Reactions: jbanning

atownguy

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2020
I'm in such a similar situation having both the 12.9 and the mini, but always thinking about the 11.

I do think when using it as a primary computer (to an extent), that the larger screen is worthwhile. Especially with multiple windows, stage manager, etc.
Yes I agree, but i’m realizing I don’t use multiple windows that often. I do always have Stage Manager on, but mostly because having apps full screen on the 12.9 iPad actually seem too big to me. The default window size in Stage Manager seems more manageable, and I like always having access to the dock without having to swipe up from the bottom (or mouse over the bottom to unhide it).

I also walk a little over 2 miles to work (each way) with my iPad Magic Keyboard combo every day, and it definitely is a little frustrating to have something that is significantly thicker/heavier than a MacBook Air.

That all being said, I could see an 11 inch feeling more “cramped” overall, and the 12.9 does allow for more flexibility if I do need to multitask. And having a 12.9 and a Mini also allows for a different degree of flexibility… so yea, clearly i’m still torn lol. Honestly, if the new ones they announce in a couple weeks come with a significantly thinner/lighter design for both the iPad/Magic Keyboard it would do a lot to swing me back in the direction of just eventually updating to another 12.9. Guess we’ll see…

Last edited:

rkuo

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2010
Yes I agree, but i’m realizing I don’t use multiple windows that often. I do always have Stage Manager on, but mostly because having apps full screen on the 12.9 iPad actually seem too big to me. The default window size in Stage Manager seems more manageable, and I like always having access to the dock without having to swipe up from the bottom (or mouse over the bottom to unhide it).

I also walk a little over 2 miles to work (each way) with my iPad Magic Keyboard combo every day, and it definitely is a little frustrating to have something that is significantly thicker/heavier than a MacBook Air.

That all being said, I could see an 11 inch feeling more “cramped” overall, and the 12.9 does allow for more flexibility if I do need to multitask. And having a 12.9 and a Mini also allows for a different degree of flexibility… so yea, clearly i’m still torn lol. Honestly, if the new ones they announce in a couple weeks come with a significantly thinner/lighter design for both the iPad/Magic Keyboard it would do a lot to swing me back in the direction of just eventually updating to another 12.9. Guess we’ll see…
This is probably one of those things that is going to bug you until you actually get a chance to try it out hands on and thoroughly. I have both and in my mind there is no doubt in my mind that 12.9" is better as a primary device. There's a reason the 13.3" Macbook Air is the smallest Macbook.

Keep in mind that cramped is not just about screen space. The 12.9" has a keyboard with normal pitch between keys. The 11" is a little undersized and is slightly annoying.

Hallstar

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2011
Keep in mind that cramped is not just about screen space. The 12.9" has a keyboard with normal pitch between keys. The 11" is a little undersized and is slightly annoying.

Do you mean the on-screen keyboard, or the Magic Keyboard?

It’s a shame that the on-screen keyboard doesn’t have ‘handles’ akin to stage-manager windows, to allow the user to adjust the size of the on-screen keyboard.

rkuo

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2010
Do you mean the on-screen keyboard, or the Magic Keyboard?

It’s a shame that the on-screen keyboard doesn’t have ‘handles’ akin to stage-manager windows, to allow the user to adjust the size of the on-screen keyboard.
The Magic Keyboard.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
I know I have previously said I'm getting the 11" but am now wondering about the 12.9!!

Which one do you think would "fit" in-between iPhone 15 Pro Max, iPad mini and 14" MBP?

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I know I have previously said I'm getting the 11" but am now wondering about the 12.9!!

Which one do you think would "fit" in-between iPhone 15 Pro Max, iPad mini and 14" MBP?
If you want to use it like a normal tablet maybe the 11 inch

i choose the 12.9 due to media content but in reality the difference is quite small as you don’t actually get much more content viewing on 12.9

Surfsalot

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2023
You will rarely find a person with a 12.9" who wishes they had the 11". Plenty of people with the 11" wish they had the 12.9"

James
I went from a 12.9" M1 after year to a 11" M1, after having the original 2018 11" for 2 years.
Was a mistake lucky I didn't loose too much on the 12.9".

Reactions: MisterSavage

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
i choose the 12.9 due to media content but in reality the difference is quite small as you don’t actually get much more content viewing on 12.9
That's not really true at all.

Screenshot 2024-05-01 at 8.38.39 PM.png

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
That's not really true at all.

View attachment 2373838

I’ve used them side by side where black bars are bigger on the 12.9. Depending on what you’re watching the content isn’t that much bigger on the 12.9 to me. Is it bigger yes? Is it a massive difference side by side? Not for me.

maybe it does depend on the type of content it is

Last edited:
Reactions: AVBeatMan

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009

You know, that’s an excellent point re Stage Manager. I find myself doing the same - quite often a single app / window open, but not full screen and then dock & spaces visible. Though right now I’m typing this in Safari while in full screen lol. But that is true, if vast majority of the time you’re in one app, 11 would probably be fine. But like @rkuo mentioned, keyboard size will suffer a bit while the 12.9 feels so nice to type on.

If I was doing a lot of walking like you are, I’d definitely consider the weight advantage of the 11. Man I do love the feel of that size when I do have a chance to use one. I get tempted by it at every big design update, but then the weight/thinness of the 12.9 decreases and I end up back with it.

macphoto861

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2021
I'm the epitome of the 11 vs 12.9 conflict. After the original Pro and the 10.5, I moved to the 12.9 and thought it was the greatest thing ever, so nice to have that extra space! But it felt a bit big/heavy using it in bed and some other situations, so I next went with the M1 11, and thought wow this is perfect now, so much more reasonably sized and practical. Here I am a few years later, thinking again that maybe the extra space of the 12.9 would be beneficial.

That being said, I think I'm still probably going to stick with the 11.

Reactions: AVBeatMan

RobertPS

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2010
I changed my vote to ’both’. I use the 11 inch without a keyboard in bed, the 12,9 inch in and around the house and for light travel duties. The 12,9 inch is mostly attached to the Magic keyboard.

I use the 27 inch iMac on my desk. The 16 inch M1 MacBook pro is for when I need power out of the house and serves as a backup for the iMac. So for me, each device has its own niche. At the moment the MacBook Pro feels like it’s the most redundant, because I don’t work anymore and don’t need the power.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.