Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which is the best iPad Pro ?

• Total voters

rkuo

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2010
Yeah, but once you hit 11, does it matter anymore? 6 to 11 or 13, yeah, heat and such could be an issue. But 11 to 13 probably doesn't have much difference in heat.
It definitely matters because the screen size increase is still pretty meaningful from 11 to 12.9, and the keyboard becomes fully usable instead of slightly cramped.

If I could only pick one iPad, I'd pick the 11 for it's jack of all trades nature. Great tablet, good keyboard/laptop style usage, great portability. But since I own both, it's a little unintuitive but I actually use the 12.9" a lot more for the laptop style use cases at home (which is maybe 80% of my usage) and reserve the 11" for the portable and tablet style use cases, which are much rarer for me.

Spankey

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
NJ
Right now I have a 12.9 and mini. I am really debating selling the mini for a new 11 Pro. If the added thinness results in a drop in weight I probably will. I love the mini but don’t love the display. If the mini had an OLED display that would be a much tougher decision.

Last edited:

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
What if the new 12.9” is significantly lighter?

it'll make the decision even more difficult lol.

I recall after spending a year+ with the 2017 12.9 being certain that when they updated I was doing to go for the smaller size. But that 2018 design actually shrunk the footprint and brought the thinness down and made it much more manageable as a tablet. But even still now I miss the simple 'tablet-y' nature of the 10-11 inch size.

I'm feeling that again, but then I see the rumour of the 5mm thinness and think about 13" OLED. Boy oh boy.

nawoo

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2008
Isn’t the 12.9 pro going to use an Lg oled screen vs the Samsung oled for the 11?

I trust LG more than Samsung, so it’s the 12.9in pro for me

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
After 2 years of using Mini 6 I bought Air 5. It is so heavy relatively to mini, I still use Mini when resting, Air is only when on stand or lap. Even can't imagine how heavy will be 12.9 inch one...

arfung

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2015
How much lighter would the 12.9 are to be for the 11 inch fans to switch? The current 12.9 is 1.5 pounds. The 4th generation (pre-mini LED) of iPad 12.9 was 1.4 pounds. The 11 inch iPad is 1 pound. Would 1.3 pounds be light enough for you to switch?

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
How much lighter would the 12.9 are to be for the 11 inch fans to switch? The current 12.9 is 1.5 pounds. The 4th generation (pre-mini LED) of iPad 12.9 was 1.4 pounds. The 11 inch iPad is 1 pound. Would 1.3 pounds be light enough for you to switch?
Back to (at least) the weight of the 3rd-gen would do it for me. I think they’ll achieve that, too. I know that 0.1lbs doesn’t sound like much but to me it was a very noticeable difference between the 3rd-gen and 5th-gen models.

• Wow
Reactions: dmccombs

Matcha

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2021
since the new models cameras are moving landscape and I prefer holding it this way I'm getting the 13" as a 2 hand tablet I don't think I will use the iPad in portrait anymore.

nawoo

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2008
Getting the 12.9 solely because LG Oled is better than Samsung Oled that the 11 in is getting

vi2867

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2006
Eastvale, CA
LG is producing the OLED screens for the larger Pro iPads. That now throws a wrench into my decision to buy the smaller Pro (I say smaller or larger, because who knows what will be the actual size). My sole purpose for buying the new Pro iPad was due to the OLED screen. I don't like Samsung screens.

weeesss

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2017
I have an M2 11 IPP and was always happy with it until I got a Samsung S9+ from my son. I prefer iOS without a doubt and don’t care that much about OLED, but for watching movies and such, the bigger screen is very welcome. Doubt I will upgrade but I would probably go for the 12.9 next.

mtngal

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2015
Size really does depend on preference and use. I have an M1 12.9 (cellular) iPad Pro and when I got it, I thought it was just that little bit heavier that I wasn’t crazy about it, even though I loved the larger monitor size. Fast forward to this fall and I had forgotten all about the extra weight, but my battery was showing signs of issue (not holding a charge very well and also having some heat issues while charging that were new). I didn’t want to replace it since there were all the rumors of a new one coming out in March/April, but I didn’t want to keep using it in case something seriously went wrong with it (wanted to use it as a trade-in).

I remembered that at one time I wasn’t crazy about the weight so I bought a non-cellular iPad Air, figuring that it would be a good way to see if I could adjust to having a smaller monitor. I chose a non-cellular model because even though I travel a lot and am often in remote places, I now have Starlink for internet so figured that was good enough - that turned out to be a mistake when it comes to the weather widget. Location services looks for fixed WiFi networks around you and if the ONLY WiFi router is Starlink, it just gives you the weather where you were last that did have networks it could use for a location, and that could be several hundred miles away.

Even after several months, I have not adjusted to the smaller screen size - it just doesn’t work for me. The weight difference hasn’t been particularly noticeable. I’ll be buying a cellular 12.9/13 iPad as soon as it comes out, trading in the M1 IPad Pro. Haven’t decided whether I’d get the Pro or the larger Air. I haven’t decided what I’ll do with the Air - it is far less useful for me as a backup than I had realized when I bought it.

lcseds

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2006
NC, USA
As I stare at my expensive 55" LG OLED TV with a colored bar burned in from limited use of a cable music channel, I'm more than willing to get a Samsung OLED display. And yes the LG was in the warranty period, and yes, LG told me to take a hike.

Reactions: Mrs. Jobs

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
As I stare at my expensive 55" LG OLED TV with a colored bar burned in from limited use of a cable music channel, I'm more than willing to get a Samsung OLED display. And yes the LG was in the warranty period, and yes, LG told me to take a hike.

That's why I never got OLED for TVs. My TV is on 24/7, and I keep them for years. My current is a Sony Bravia 65 inch and I don't need to worry about burn-in. But on a computer device or phone that I turn over often, I wouldn't care about OLED, I don't have them long enough to worry.

Reactions: Mrs. Jobs

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
I’m on my 4th LG OLED and never had a single issue with any of them. Had 2 55”, a 65” and now a 77”. Never had a problem.

Reactions: sockdoggy

nawoo

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2008
you trust LG more than Samsung? Samsung has always made the best displays
what are you talking about? OLED comes from LG. Samsung has never made OLED since it backed its failed QLED. Samsung screens have always sucked. way too saturated colors on their phones and TVs. Unrealistic colors

Last edited:

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
what are you talking about? OLED comes from LG. Samsung has never made OLED since it backed its failed QLED. Samsung screens have always sucked. way too saturated colors on their phones and TVs. Unrealistic colors

Samsung still does OLED. That's one of Apple's screen suppliers. And the screens don't determine stuff like saturation, the software does. Samsung (laptop OS, Android phones, TVs) has always been more vivid software profiles. Apple's use of their screens will probably be more natural color palets.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK

Maybe you need to do your research

Who the hell do you think supplies all of the oled iPhone screens? Samsung!

Samsung has always been regarded the best displays on mobile phone screens and tablets.

LG and Samsung will share the supply for the iPad displays. Due to demand

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
I think a big consideration will be the weight of the 12.9/13". If it's going to be lighter, then this will make it a lot more attractive. It's more to do with the weight for me rather than the size. At the moment the 11" is so much more portable. Of course if they can reduce the size then the 11" would also be lighter.....

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I think a big consideration will be the weight of the 12.9/13". If it's going to be lighter, then this will make it a lot more attractive. It's more to do with the weight for me rather than the size. At the moment the 11" is so much more portable. Of course if they can reduce the size then the 11" would also be lighter.....
weight Certainly plays a factor but the sheer size of the 12.9 is massive. I think if people are using it as a pure tablet the 11 inch I think is the best option for most people.

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
I was always a 9-10" iPad user up until the M1, where the miniLED being exclusive to the 12.9", and the KB actually starting to become good, so I gave the larger size a chance. After using it for two years I am already used to this size, with the apparent problems of weight, overall bulk when on Magic KB, but as an in-house device I find it a much better fit than the 11" especially when I need more than a single app / window on screen. Portability does suffer a lot, to the point I frequently just don't want to take the 12.9" with me outside. But that's more to do with the Magic KB than the tablet itself.

Now if the new 11" does get no less good screen than the 13", this formula may change. I also need to see what improvement or changes in ergonomics for the new Magic KB, because on the 11" I found the keys being too crammed compared to the 12.9" has a MacBook size layout with enough key spacing. Weight reduction will be welcome but it will happen to both sizes anyway, and probably will be more significant on the larger model, we saw that with the titanium iPhone 15 Pro Max getting a more meaningful weight reduction than the Pro where you could feel it more on the Max.

Reactions: Devyn89
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.