Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which is the best iPad Pro ?

• Total voters

prospervic

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2007
NYC
Depending on your perspective, the 11 inch iPad Pro is either the perfect “Goldilocks“ size, or an imperfect compromise.
For reading, handheld use and daily carry, it’s superior to the 12.9 but inferior to the Mini 6. For productivity, it’s inferior to the 12.9 but superior to the Mini 6.

i didn’t want to compromise, so I have both the Mini 6 and the 12.9. But if I decided to simplify and carry only one device, it would be the 11”.

George Dawes

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 17, 2014
=VH=
Tbh if I did get another iPad I’d probably go for another 11 as it’s just so easy to hold with one hand unlike the 12.9 which is amazing but I just put it on my lap and often think why didn’t I just buy a MacBook instead ?

Can’t imagine how on earth you’d hold anything bigger with just one hand ?

JamieLannister

Suspended
Jun 10, 2016
Tbh if I did get another iPad I’d probably go for another 11 as it’s just so easy to hold with one hand unlike the 12.9 which is amazing but I just put it on my lap and often think why didn’t I just buy a MacBook instead ?

Can’t imagine how on earth you’d hold anything bigger with just one hand ?

I have 11" IPPs and 13" IPPs - when I'm on the ceramic throne I grab the 11" 100% of the time. The 13" is great for desktop use. In fact it's too big that I'd rather use my laptop instead. The 11" is just right for all the occasions. Like sitting in the car/van/bus. You may not think extra .5lb is significant but when you hand hold it (without a case), it gets tiring fast. Try that 13" IPP when laying in bed. NO way. I've had that thing fall right on my face multiple times and it hurts. The 11" is just right. BUT if you got banana hands then of course the 11" is like a phablet to you. I think majority is fixed on 11" being the goldilocks size.

ZhenyaF

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
My wife has had a 12.9" since day 1. I've always made fun of her little TV and have been in the 11" club for a very long time. I decided to try out a 12.9" a few months ago and have been loving it. I use it predominantly on the couch watching youtube or when my wife and I travel, we use it to watch shows.

rulymammoth

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2015
My wife has had a 12.9" since day 1. I've always made fun of her little TV and have been in the 11" club for a very long time. I decided to try out a 12.9" a few months ago and have been loving it. I use it predominantly on the couch watching youtube or when my wife and I travel, we use it to watch shows.
You know what I realized though. My MBP 14" is like using the 12.9 in landscape. And it can do more (apart from being touch-enabled obviously). I'm tempted by the 12.9, but it just seems like such a waste for what I'd use it for.

ZhenyaF

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
You know what I realized though. My MBP 14" is like using the 12.9 in landscape. And it can do more (apart from being touch-enabled obviously). I'm tempted by the 12.9, but it just seems like such a waste for what I'd use it for.
The only place the ipad wins is on the couch. I practically dont touch my MBA anymore

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
The only place the ipad wins is on the couch. I practically dont touch my MBA anymore

Which is why I got the 11. The 12.9 is half a pound heavier and makes a difference if you hold it for a while. I know many people prop it up on the couch or in bed or whatever, and say the weight doesn't both them, but even that way, the extra weight even when propped, can wear you down if it's laying on you.

The 11 has the power of the 12.9, but is closer in economics to the Mini.

Reactions: AVBeatMan

Achillias

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
Driving this car, but the entertainment system on it is a bit outdated.
IMG_1367.jpg

IMG_1377.jpg

Thinking about using an iPad Pro cellular as my entertainment system. Anyone done the same?

Last edited:
Reactions: Porterhouse

callihan_44

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2016
I had the 11 and 12.9 and found the 11 in tablet mode was easier to hold with one hand and type with the other, I used the 12.9 basically sitting on my lap...but the 12.9 display was a bit easier on the eyes due to bigger size... sometimes the 12.9 makes me feel like I should just grab my laptop instead. I found that i cannot replace a laptop with a tablet for my use but supplement flipping around the internet or reading ebooks with one

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
I had the 11 and 12.9 and found the 11 in tablet mode was easier to hold with one hand and type with the other, I used the 12.9 basically sitting on my lap...but the 12.9 display was a bit easier on the eyes due to bigger size... sometimes the 12.9 makes me feel like I should just grab my laptop instead. I found that i cannot replace a laptop with a tablet for my use but supplement flipping around the internet or reading ebooks with one

I did some recent tests, and I discovered (much to my surprise) I could use an iPad attached to a monitor with Stage Manager. Email, Teams, RDP, all worked well. The only time I would need a Mac is for Team or Zoom screen presentations (it works on an iPad too, but the screen dynamics might be jarring for people viewing my screen).

And iPad is a better game machine that a Mac currently. The bigest drwback to an iPad is not having an open file system.

Reactions: Pezimak

darkmatter343

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2017
Toronto, Canada
I’ve always been intrigued by the larger 12.9” but strictly when docked. When paired with the Magic Keyboard it’s like the best of both worlds: a mix between a MBA 13 and an iPad, minus its obvious drawbacks like no file system, but then the MBA lacks touch…

The problem with the 12.9 is when you remove it from the dock: unless you’re a doctor or in some profession where walking around with a large tablet and taking notes can benefit from the larger screen (and I think that’s where this size rules), 12.9 as a home tablet is too big. It’s awkward to hold.

That all said, when using the 11” in dock if feel too small and cramped, though obviously when using as a tablet to hold in the hands it’s a good size.

I think it really comes down to how often you’ll have it docked; what you’ll be using it primarily for, and if your work flow / task suits either size. As for pure tablet in hand mode, again I think 12.9 is too large unless you’re objective is note taking or looking up images as a doctor etc.

Due to the high cost of the 12.9 paired with the Magic Keyboard (if you plan on buying one) it can be a hard sell against the 13/15” MBA. You have to be someone who really enjoys the large touchscreen mixed with the keyboard, because it weighs more as well with the MKB than a MBA.

Biggest buying factor between the sizes should be: are you buying the Magic Keyboard and how much time will it be spent docked.

prospervic

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2007
NYC
I think it really comes down to how often you’ll have it docked; what you’ll be using it primarily for, and if your work flow / task suits either size. As for pure tablet in hand mode, again I think 12.9 is too large unless you’re objective is note taking or looking up images as a doctor etc.

Due to the high cost of the 12.9 paired with the Magic Keyboard (if you plan on buying one) it can be a hard sell against the 13/15” MBA. You have to be someone who really enjoys the large touchscreen mixed with the keyboard, because it weighs more as well with the MKB than a MBA.

Biggest buying factor between the sizes should be: are you buying the Magic Keyboard and how much time will it be spent docked.
Not just doctors, you’re forgetting visual artists — the 12.9 provides substantially more room for drawing. Likewise for musicians, I create music tracks using GarageBand (and am learning Logic Pro for iPad) and it’s MUCH easier to play the onscreen piano keyboard on the larger 12.9” screen. It’s also the perfect size for sheet music (in portrait orientation), several band and orchestral musicians now have 12.9 iPad Pros on their music stands.

That’s the great thing about iPad’s versatility, it can be used in so many ways by so many different professions.

Last edited:
Reactions: tagumcity

darkmatter343

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Not just doctors, you’re forgetting visual artists — the 12.9 provides substantially more room for drawing. Likewise for musicians, I create music tracks using GarageBand (and am learning Logic Pro for iPad) and it’s MUCH easier to play the onscreen piano keyboard on the larger 12.9” screen. It’s also the perfect size for sheet music (in portrait orientation), several band and orchestral musicians now have 12.9 iPad Pros on their music stands.

That’s the great thing about iPad’s versatility, it can be used in so many ways by so many different professions.

Yes absolutely, for many professions the 12.9 makes sense both docked and as a tablet. I just can’t see many home users loving the tablet holding experience. For writing though, such as in Scriverner it’s amazing, but then MacBook raises its hand.

Reactions: prospervic

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I just can’t see many home users loving the tablet holding experience.

We use this for the 12.9 (and smaller tablets too when I want some extra elevation).

Also, all our iPads are in folio-type cases with tri-fold cover that can work as stand in landscape mode.

Reactions: max2 and tagumcity

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
The choice is tough. 12.9 and it's great miniLED screen, but bigger and heavier? Or 11, smaller and lighter but just LCD?

But if the rumors of the 11 and (now) 13 are true and they will be equally configured, with just size being the difference, then for me personally, it's a no-brainer - small and light 11.

ipos

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2011
task like internet surfing, watching 1080p video and light ms office work?
was wondering can we really tell from the naked eye btw a lcd or mini led?

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
task like internet surfing, watching 1080p video and light ms office work?
was wondering can we really tell from the naked eye btw a lcd or mini led?
The 12.9 mini LED does offer crisper whites and contrast to my eyes, which is great for text.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.