Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which is the best iPad Pro ?

• Total voters

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
I changed my vote to 11”. I’ve been missing the 9.7“/10.5”/11” size a lot lately. I remember how much I loved my 10.5” iPad and how futuristic it felt to use it because it’s just such a perfect size for content consumption on a bigger screen but still being super portable.

When I try to use my 12.9” iPad just as a tablet, I get very frustrated because the 12.9” is just too big and uncomfortable to use as a tablet. I end up sticking it on my Magic Keyboard which then just feels stupid because I’m using it as a laptop which means it’s just redundant with my MacBook Pro.

I’ve thought about selling my 12.9” iPad and tried putting it in a drawer to see if I could go without it because it just feels wasteful to not be using it much or to only have redundant use cases for it. But I ended up still reaching for it occasionally, mostly for Apple Pencil use or to have a more portable, smaller alternative to my MBP.

I think if Apple sold an OLED 11” iPad with ProMotion, I’d sell this 12.9” in a heartbeat. But right now, I’m just in this frustrating limbo. I feel like I’ve wasted my money, but I can’t sell the iPad because I’ll miss it. But I can’t justify buying an 11” model because its LCD screen will frustrate me (it was my biggest complaint about my 10.5” iPad Pro from 2017), and the new OLED iPad models are supposed to be coming next year anyways.

Surfsalot

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2023
I changed my vote to 11”. I’ve been missing the 9.7“/10.5”/11” size a lot lately. I remember how much I loved my 10.5” iPad and how futuristic it felt to use it because it’s just such a perfect size for content consumption on a bigger screen but still being super portable.

When I try to use my 12.9” iPad just as a tablet, I get very frustrated because the 12.9” is just too big and uncomfortable to use as a tablet. I end up sticking it on my Magic Keyboard which then just feels stupid because I’m using it as a laptop which means it’s just redundant with my MacBook Pro.

I’ve thought about selling my 12.9” iPad and tried putting it in a drawer to see if I could go without it because it just feels wasteful to not be using it much or to only have redundant use cases for it. But I ended up still reaching for it occasionally, mostly for Apple Pencil use or to have a more portable, smaller alternative to my MBP.

I think if Apple sold an OLED 11” iPad with ProMotion, I’d sell this 12.9” in a heartbeat. But right now, I’m just in this frustrating limbo. I feel like I’ve wasted my money, but I can’t sell the iPad because I’ll miss it. But I can’t justify buying an 11” model because its LCD screen will frustrate me (it was my biggest complaint about my 10.5” iPad Pro from 2017), and the new OLED iPad models are supposed to be coming next year anyways.
I sold my 1 year old M1 12.9" a year ago and went back to the 11", had the 2018 11" for 2 years that is still being used by my wife, as good as the day I got it.
No regrets.

Royksöpp

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2013
The 11 inch seems to have grown in popularity over the past year. It's a pretty big jump from 2022.

most-popular-ipad-2023.webp.png

Reactions: George Dawes

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
I am so curious having the iPad Pro 11” in my hands what the 12.9” feels like in practice. I’ll either use it with two hands, or in the Magic Keyboard so the size isn’t as big of a deal as I thought — I’ll probably still prefer my iPhone for general usage.

That being said I am prepared for a potential redesign next year, and already planning an upgrade path if I’m intrigued enough.

I am admittedly picturing what a Mini LED would look like in comparison, but in a bright Apple Store the difference was much more minimal than expected. The Liquid Retina with ProMotion is surprisingly good, and I’m a bit too much of a display snob since it’s excellent otherwise.

Last edited:
Reactions: George Dawes

MyAppleWorld

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
Birmingham, UK
I am so curious having the iPad Pro 11” in my hands what the 12.9” feels like in practice. I’ll either use it with two hands, or in the Magic Keyboard so the size isn’t as big of a deal as I thought — I’ll probably still prefer my iPhone for general usage.

That being said I am prepared for a potential redesign next year, and already planning an upgrade path if I’m intrigued enough.

I am admittedly picturing what a Mini LED would look like in comparison, but in a bright Apple Store the difference was much more minimal than expected. The Liquid Retina with ProMotion is surprisingly good, and I’m a bit too much of a display snob since it’s excellent otherwise.
In my experience of trialling as 12.9” a couple of years ago, i found it tiresome on the couch having to move my arm a lot more to reach the top of the screen. 11 is perfect.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
In my experience of trialling as 12.9” a couple of years ago, i found it tiresome on the couch having to move my arm a lot more to reach the top of the screen. 11 is perfect.
I am oh-so-curious now only because my usage of the iPad has been completely different than I expected: my favorite way to use the iPad Pro is in the Magic Keyboard, with the Apple Pencil at the ready. I’m shocked I already prefer this to both my previous 14” MacBook Pro, and a 13” MacBook Air. The only issue I’m currently running into is that my fingers tend to hit the bottom of the display while typing.

Then my dream is to quite honestly have an OLED display on a device like this so I can consume content with the best quality possible. That may have to be put off until next year, assuming I can even use the iPad Pro OLED displays. Mini LED is probably a close second, but I get headaches from PWM flickering.

I have a lot to think about, and I’ve already put considerable thought into iPad Pro 11” vs 12.9” vs 15” MacBook Air. But it is different when using the devices in practice.

The idea was to go into the 11” iPad Pro with 128GB storage so that if my needs change then I can optimistically upgrade next year to either an 11” or 12.9” next-generation iPad Pro, or an M3 MacBook Air. Right now I’m satisfied, even if the Magic Keyboard is taking a little getting used to. I do love that it raises the iPad, and I am comparing key travel to a standard Apple keyboard. My only realistic change to this setup could be pairing a Smart Folio with a Bluetooth Apple Keyboard instead, but I love the design of the Magic Keyboard and the trackpad works surprisingly well. I suppose my concerns are with durability, since the keyboard is already better than expected.

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
Always wondered is the screen of the iPad Pro 12.9 really that much better than the 11 inch ?

callihan_44

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2016
Ive gone back and forth between the sizes and have determined that I need the 12.9 display even though the 11 feels slightly easier to handle. I use the 12.9 as a tablet not as a laptop replacement.

prospervic

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2007
NYC
Some people swear that it is. I don't see the difference.
Easiest way to tell the difference: watch any movie with night scenes. Thanks to the deeper blacks of the 12.9" mini LED display you can better see individual elements in the shot. By comparison the grayish cast of the 11" makes it difficult to distinguish much at all.

Reactions: max2

ps866mker

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2022
Had the 12.9 second gen, traded in for a 9th gen regular and now have the 12.9 6th gen. In my own opinion, the portablity of the 11th vs the 12th is very much overblown.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010

My exact thoughts. But I actually sold my 12.9 and got an 11. 1.5 pounds vs 1 pound (the Mini is .6 for comparison). Half a pound dpesn't sound like alot, but it matters when using it as a tablet. Plus, when holding it, the 12.9 felt like you were sitting to close to the TV. The 11 seems like the sweet spot (plus, its perfectly fine in laptop mode too).

As far as the screen went, I couldn't really tell the dif between LCD and the 12.9's. But that's a personal taste.

ps866mker

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2022
Think it’s very noticeable though

Holding it on sofa is certainly more enjoyable experience
I won't argue with you but the 11 is the same - you can't hold it for a long time on a sofa, standing up, etc. Many are portraying the 11 as lighter than a paper back and the 12.9 as heavy as a brick. If you can hold the 11 without a case for 10 minutes like a book, without support, you can do the same with a 12.9. I believe its all bias and preference which everyone is entitled to. This is my opinion.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
I won't argue with you but the 11 is the same - you can't hold it for a long time on a sofa, standing up, etc. Many are portraying the 11 as lighter than a paper back and the 12.9 as heavy as a brick. If you can hold the 11 without a case for 10 minutes like a book, without support, you can do the same with a 12.9. I believe its all bias and preference which everyone is entitled to. This is my opinion.

Well, as I mentioned in a post above, 1.5 pounds vs 1 pound. A Mini is .6. I don't know if you can hold an iPad 11 for 10 minutes, but you could longer than a 12.9.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
i think it does depend how you are using it. I tend to use my 12.9 on the sofa but with the smart folio cover standing up or on my knees. not much difference to how i used my 11 inch.

I do sometimes use the MK though which is better experience than using it in hand of course as i think 12.9 thats what it was more built with in mind

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.