Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which is the best iPad Pro ?

• Total voters

eneisch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
Just my opinion, but I have a 12.9-inch 2018 IPP and am going to switch to the 11-inch version this go around. Don't get me wrong, I have been very happy with my 12.9, but the novelty of the bigger screen has worn off somewhat, and i think the 11 inch is more suitable for me as it is easier to handle and take outside of my home. I'm going to keep my 12.9 and use it as an auxiliary screen to my M1 iMac.

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
As someone who has used both, it really depends what you're doing with it. Buy the 13" if you intend to replace your laptop with it, or use it mainly on a desk. Buy the 11" if you plan on supplementing your laptop with it, or if you're using it more on the go, notably more in the tablet form factor.

In 2018, I bought the 11." As it was a laptop replacement, I wasn't really happy with the size, but kept it until 2020 and got the 12.9." Which, I think I am more happy with. Eventually bought the M1 12.9" (which I eventually traded for a MacBook, anyway).

I'm more open to trying the 11" again as a laptop replacement since external display support is available. Things don't have to feel so cramped at my desk. I'd have to try my mother's 2018 11" iPP side by side with my spouse's 2020 12.9" to really get the feel of which I like better. Which were both ironically my old iPads, would be weird to use them together.

I’m in the same boat. I used a 10.5 as a laptop replacement for years and loved it. Then, I switched jobs, started working from home a few days a week and commuting on the train the other days, and the 10.5 started feeling way too small. I got a 12.9 M2 but hadn’t considered how nice external display support would be in devices with the M series chips, and I quickly regretted getting the larger size. When I’m at my desk I use an external display for nearly everything anyway, and when I’m on the go having a smaller device is so much nicer. My M2 is perfect in every other way, just too big and heavy. So I’m excited to trade it in for an 11 while not losing that awesome OLED screen.

xxFoxtail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2015
NY
I’m in the same boat. I used a 10.5 as a laptop replacement for years and loved it. Then, I switched jobs, started working from home a few days a week and commuting on the train the other days, and the 10.5 started feeling way too small. I got a 12.9 M2 but hadn’t considered how nice external display support would be in devices with the M series chips, and I quickly regretted getting the larger size. When I’m at my desk I use an external display for nearly everything anyway, and when I’m on the go having a smaller device is so much nicer. My M2 is perfect in every other way, just too big and heavy. So I’m excited to trade it in for an 11 while not losing that awesome OLED screen.
Yeah I’m definitely glad the 11” isn’t getting any compromises for the screen this time. I’m kind of pushing myself toward trying that one. I’ve been reading a lot of ebooks on my iPhone and MacBook lately, so it would be nice to have a smaller, but not too small tablet again.

atownguy

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2020
Yes I agree, but i’m realizing I don’t use multiple windows that often. I do always have Stage Manager on, but mostly because having apps full screen on the 12.9 iPad actually seem too big to me. The default window size in Stage Manager seems more manageable, and I like always having access to the dock without having to swipe up from the bottom (or mouse over the bottom to unhide it).

I also walk a little over 2 miles to work (each way) with my iPad Magic Keyboard combo every day, and it definitely is a little frustrating to have something that is significantly thicker/heavier than a MacBook Air.

That all being said, I could see an 11 inch feeling more “cramped” overall, and the 12.9 does allow for more flexibility if I do need to multitask. And having a 12.9 and a Mini also allows for a different degree of flexibility… so yea, clearly i’m still torn lol. Honestly, if the new ones they announce in a couple weeks come with a significantly thinner/lighter design for both the iPad/Magic Keyboard it would do a lot to swing me back in the direction of just eventually updating to another 12.9. Guess we’ll see…
I said last week “…if the new ones they announce in a couple weeks come with a significantly thinner/lighter design for both the iPad/Magic Keyboard i t would do a lot to swing me back in the direction of just eventually updating to another 12.9”

I‘m happy to see that’s exactly what they did. From the podcasts/articles i’ve listened to & read of people that had hands on time with it, the weight/size reduction of the larger iPad in particular seem pretty drastic. It made my decision pretty easy, I’m definitely going to stick with the larger 13” iPad.

Reactions: millydog

Hallstar

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2011
I placed orders yesterday for cellular models in both nano and standard glass. I figured i would try them side-by-side for a couple of days and see which i wanted to keep. But, the more i thought about it, the more i realised that it wasn’t cost effective, I’m not a designer or editor and will never get the full benefit of the power of the machine, so I’ve cancelled both orders.

When you add up the cost and compare the offerings to the 6th -or even 5th- generations, you don’t get a lot for the mark-up, at least not for a general user.

This morning I purchased an immaculate 6th generation 12.9 (M2) Cellular 256GB Space Grey with 9 months of warranty remaining for £950.00!

I will run this alongside my current 5th generation 11 (M1) Cellular 256GB Space Grey and have the best of both worlds and money left over!

gsal

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2019
I think I’ll be going with the 13” size this time. The reduction in weight and thickness should make it easier to handle. The thing that put me off the previous 12.9 iPad Pro was just how thick is was with the Magic Keyboard.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
The M2 and M4 11's are about the same weight (1 pound), but the 12.9/13 is 1.28 vs 1.5 pounds. So, yeah, the 13 is closer to that handheld threshold that the 11 was always at.

erasr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2007
New here but doesn’t the weight and thinness negate the problems of the older 12.9”? E.G it being too cumbersome.

I imagine the bigger size now is much easier to hold and move around the house. I rarely take my iPad out anyway.

Reactions: mireki1975

millydog

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2007
Australia
New here but doesn’t the weight and thinness negate the problems of the older 12.9”? E.G it being too cumbersome.

I imagine the bigger size now is much easier to hold and move around the house. I rarely take my iPad out anyway.

I mostly use my M1 12.9” as a tablet (without the Magic Keyboard). When I’m sitting in my recliner, I usually rest one edge on my stomach or lap and just support it with my left hand or even a bunched up blanket. I love the size of the 12.9”, but I do find it best to support the weight of it when I use it. I find it enjoyable to use like that, but I think that the reduced weight should improve that experience and make it easier and lighter to carry around. I expect it to be lighter when using in two hands to play games too, but usually I’m resting one end of the iPad on myself or a table or something currently and it’s fine like that anyway.

Reactions: MacMandy

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
I have both sizes iPad Pro’s now and there is no comparing the difference in how much is displayed on the larger screen. It is bigger but worth it to me.

What is GREAT is Apple gives us a choice In sizes.

wi1dstar

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2012
I have both sizes iPad Pro’s now and there is no comparing the difference in how much is displayed on the larger screen. It is bigger but worth it to me.

What is GREAT is Apple gives us a choice In sizes.
Completely agree with this. I’ve always gone 12.9 (or now 13) and my wife has an 11. The 12.9 feels like it displays so much more, even though the screen isn’t much bigger. I agree with everyone who feels like the 11 is more portable and easier to handle, however when I travel I use my iPad as my everything device. Having the extra screen real estate really makes a difference. I always feel like when I’m using the 11 that I’m just better off using my iPhone pro max because it is much more portable and easier to type on.

bcortens

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2007
Ontario Canada
Completely agree with this. I’ve always gone 12.9 (or now 13) and my wife has an 11. The 12.9 feels like it displays so much more, even though the screen isn’t much bigger. I agree with everyone who feels like the 11 is more portable and easier to handle, however when I travel I use my iPad as my everything device. Having the extra screen real estate really makes a difference. I always feel like when I’m using the 11 that I’m just better off using my iPhone pro max because it is much more portable and easier to type on.
I use the 11” with the more space option which means I have the same amount of horizontal content as the 12.9.

I’m leaning for the 11” again with the M4 but I am also thinking that maybe I want the 12.9 so that I can have a standard sized Magic Keyboard and a larger trackpad instead of the more compressed magic keyboard on the 11”

Reactions: yaboid01

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I’m leaning for the 11” again with the M4 but I am also thinking that maybe I want the 12.9 so that I can have a standard sized Magic Keyboard and a larger trackpad instead of the more compressed magic keyboard on the 11”
Wouldn't the 13" iPP kind of clash with your 14-inch MBP?

I have the 14-inch MBP, but solely use it on the desktop connected to a large monitor... rarely moves from it.

bcortens

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2007
Ontario Canada
Wouldn't the 13" iPP kind of clash with your 14-inch MBP?

I have the 14-inch MBP, but solely use it on the desktop connected to a large monitor... rarely moves from it.
Kind of, but the iPad is my take everywhere device, reading in bed, working in the living room or on the deck, etc… Like you my MBP mostly lives on my desk.

Reactions: Ludatyk

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Kind of, but the iPad is my take everywhere device, reading in bed, working in the living room or on the deck, etc… Like you my MBP mostly lives on my desk.
Well, in that case... you'll really enjoy the 13-inch size. My family has 11-inch sizes... while it's more tablet-like (and maybe that's what appeals to people), the size always felt restricted to me.

Always opted for the 12.9-inch... given I wanted a laptop replacement.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
They are actually both completely irrelevant to me. My 11" iPad is always on a stand or on a lap pillow. They could make it five pounds and I wouldn't care.

Alicia1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2009
Gold Coast, Australia
I am so confused as to what size to buy. I have both on order for collection on Wednesday. There is also a $500 AUD difference between the sizes which is just madness considering the only difference is the screen size. I had the 5th Gen 12.9" and ended up selling it as it was too heavy to hold for periods of time. At least I have a few days to decide.

Reactions: Dj64Mk7

Adelphos33

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2012
I have had two iPads for years - usually a base small iPad and a larger iPad Pro. I am thinking about doing something a bit weird - getting a small iPad Pro and getting a 13” Air.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.