Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which is the best iPad Pro ?

• Total voters

The Chosen One

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2015
Got an 11" 2018 Pro. Bought the 11" and 12.9" together and returned the 12.9".

I unboxed/'used' that one first when they arrived, loved it but when I started walking around and using it (one handed) I was like... damn thats heavy. And walking upstairs (was living at my parents) and such.

Now I got my own same floor apartement and use it less for games and more for VLC/youtube (2nd monitor sortoff).
Wonder if I can order both again at a shop with free return.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
I've been a 12.9" user since 2017, but have still always loved the size and feel of the 11".

And now with this 2024 OLED upgrade seemingly close, I'm torn as ever as to what size I would like.

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
As we are expected to get oled iPad pros soon be interesting if people decide to get 11 inch now display quality will be same for first time in a while
Indeed! That will be interesting. I was excited at first that the screen quality of the 11” would be on par with the 12.9”, but then I also realized that the 12.9” will likely be significantly lighter… that was my biggest gripe with the larger iPad Pro, so I’m probably going to go big this time.

The Chosen One

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2015
Ah yes, the Steamdeck was also lighter with the screenchange to OLED. Ofc there they also put a larger battery in which "negates" (emphasis on "") the weight change. Unlikely to happen here.

And the screens might also be bigger with smaller bezels but thats prob in the 0.1 or 0.2" max I suppose.

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
Ah yes, the Steamdeck was also lighter with the screenchange to OLED. Ofc there they also put a larger battery in which "negates" (emphasis on "") the weight change. Unlikely to happen here.

And the screens might also be bigger with smaller bezels but thats prob in the 0.1 or 0.2" max I suppose.
It’s going to be ~20% thinner. It’ll be lighter.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
You also have to consider that if you have the 12.9 and the Magic Keyboard, that if you get the larger 13"? iPad your keyboard won't fit it so there's another expense.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
I have both but am planning on upgrading my 11". I find my 12.9 just sit's on my office desk and used as a monitor for watching TV. I think the 11" is the perfect size for an iPad.

I agree with that assessment, though I still got a 12.9, for MiniLED. Sometimes, logic doesn't always win out :)

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
Which should be ridiculous. But since the current 12.9 keyboard is £319, £400 would not be far off the mark.
Which makes me want to update my 11" rather than my 12.9.

Honestly, I am totally sold that the 11" is THE perfect size for an iPad. iPad's are portable tablets and the 11" is the perfect size. When I got my 12.9" I tried to convince myself that "hey, this is not that heavy" but when compared to the 11" .. no, the 11" is so much versatile. Would love to hear from others re 12.9 using when moving around.

I also went from a 16" MBP to a 14" for similar reasons.

Neodym

macrumors 68020
Jul 5, 2002
The choice is tough. 12.9 and it's great miniLED screen, but bigger and heavier? Or 11, smaller and lighter but just LCD?

But if the rumors of the 11 and (now) 13 are true and they will be equally configured, with just size being the difference, then for me personally, it's a no-brainer - small and light 11.
Apple devices were never identical apart from size. Screen tech, CPU throttling, camera, connectivity … the bigger top models often (if not always) had one or more distinctive advantages over their smaller siblings.

The only question was (and probably will be in the future) whether your use cases were/are touched by those differences - or not.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Which makes me want to update my 11" rather than my 12.9.

Honestly, I am totally sold that the 11" is THE perfect size for an iPad. iPad's are portable tablets and the 11" is the perfect size. When I got my 12.9" I tried to convince myself that "hey, this is not that heavy" but when compared to the 11" .. no, the 11" is so much versatile. Would love to hear from others re 12.9 using when moving around.

I also went from a 16" MBP to a 14" for similar reasons.
I love my 12.9 for content but thinking about look at black bars. I think when you compare watching the content it's not much difference

I feel 11 inch is great size to use not just for content without the keyboard
f8597b86490983c6af96964cde3c048c.jpg

Reactions: max2 and AVBeatMan

boultonn

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2017
London
I think it'll depend on price tbh.
If there's a price hike across the iPad Pro and Magic Keyboard that could make the 12.9" untenable.
Tbh if the screen tech is going to be the same then 11" isn't a bad option.

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
The problem with iPads these days isn't the size, it's the extremely poor battery life compared to the iPhone . Both my 11 and 12,9 inch iPads don't last over ~4-5 hours when I use it continuously and they're just the 2021 and 22 models. My iPhone 13 PM last twice longer than both my iPad and it's not normal. Because of that I simply use my phone more instead of using both my iPads that are now used almost exclusively to watch content on it.

The performance is already powerful enough as well. If they don't update the battery at all, I simply don"t care anymore. I don't think the new oled screen will be much different than the already amazing miniLED screen of the 12,9 one.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
As we are expected to get oled iPad pros soon be interesting if people decide to get 11 inch now display quality will be same for first time in a while
Yeahhhh that same old dilemma is gonna arise from the dead 😅 I’ll get an 11” for sure this time, as I finally sold my 12.9” a few months ago, cause there just wasn’t any point next to a MacBook 13”

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
The problem with iPads these days isn't the size, it's the extremely poor battery life compared to the iPhone . Both my 11 and 12,9 inch iPads don't last over ~4-5 hours when I use it continuously and they're just the 2021 and 22 models. My iPhone 13 PM last twice longer than both my iPad and it's not normal. Because of that I simply use my phone more instead of using both my iPads that are now used almost exclusively to watch content on it.

The performance is already powerful enough as well. If they don't update the battery at all, I simply don"t care anymore. I don't think the new oled screen will be much different than the already amazing miniLED screen of the 12,9 one.
That’s odd/ shouldn’t the iPad deliver consistent 10 hour battery life? Even my 6 year old one does better than that. Weirdly enough it’s realllly bad with losing battery when in standby tho

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Apple devices were never identical apart from size. Screen tech, CPU throttling, camera, connectivity … the bigger top models often (if not always) had one or more distinctive advantages over their smaller siblings.

The only question was (and probably will be in the future) whether your use cases were/are touched by those differences - or not.

Yeah, but once you hit 11, does it matter anymore? 6 to 11 or 13, yeah, heat and such could be an issue. But 11 to 13 probably doesn't have much difference in heat.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.