Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which is the best iPad Pro ?

• Total voters

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
This is my dilema. I’ve never had the LTE model but have a wireless hotspot for work and my iPhone. Trying to figure out if I should do a LTE for once or stick to WiFi. LTE also means paying the $30 a month.

LTE wasn’t worth it for me because of the included hotspot with my phone plan. Everyone has different needs though. To me I didn’t need to pay $150 more plus the price of a separate monthly hotspot plan :)

Reactions: SHKLMRE

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
I want to know if the new 11 inch one is still limited to using iphone version of apple iOS apps when multitasking in landscape. Does anyone know?

If the answer is still yes, despite the tremendous power of the new device, I would have to say that the 25% less volume new 12.9 version is definitely the way to go.

The real tough decision is to get the 1TB version and get 6 Gb of RAM or get the 512 Gb version with 4Gb of RAM.

Edit: Thanks Ace for responding to my question so quickly. Did you try it at the announcement? How were you able to get your hands on the new device?

Ace, even with the increased resolution on the new 11?
I was not able to use the device in person, but a developer reported that the 11” still uses compact class in 50/50. It was included in another thread, I’ll go see if I can find it and update this post. :)

Edit: Here it is: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/split-screen-on-11in-pro.2150842/

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Hrm. Hrm.

We'll, I always thought the 9.7" iPad size was great, but then I fell in love with the 10.5". I was an adamant supporter of the that size and felt completely sure that if I was upgrading I'd get the 11" and continue in the same track...

However, I want to see them in person. I think 10"-11" is the perfect tablet size to be used as a secondary device or as a compliment to a traditional computer, which is how I've been using it. However, I'm thinking that my next iPad Pro may replace my portable computer needs completely (with a Mac desktop serving as my data hub). If that's the case and I don't feel that the size is overwhelming when I eventually get to an  Store to see it...I may go 12.9"

Also, I'll be curious to see what iOS 13 brings. Ideally, I'd be super tempted to get a 12.9" next generation iPad Pro with an A13X, more optimized OS, and 6GB to 8GB of RAM. If that doesn't materialize I'll probably get a next generation 11" and continue having a capable tablet rather than a mobile workstation.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
The smaller one is bigger, and the bigger one is smaller! Surprised this thread isn’t bigger because it’s certainly a more difficult decision compared to last year 10.5 vs 12.9. It literally made me login to my Macrumors account once again!

But at the end of the day, it’s crazy to think anyone wouldn’t be happy with either one. Both are at the pinnacle of current technology.
And it's not even quite that simple--the smaller one has a bigger screen but roughly the same size body. The bigger one has the same screen but a significantly smaller body. I'm still going 11" though. I do lots of reading in bed with my iPad, and I just don't want a 12.9" screen for that. 10.5" Pro felt like the sweet spot in chassis size for me, so this 11" model is going to make that even better.

tothemoonsands

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2018
I just thought of something that may muddy the waters even further...Does anyone know what it is like to fold the Keyboard folio back and hold it? The original Keyboard case had a design in which the keyboard was protected/not exposed, but it looks like the new one does not have this fold-away nature.

It may turn out to be rather difficult to fold back and use iPad without hitting keys back there. It looks like the "ledge" of the case will fold back and be on the left-hand side of the device, so this isn't the case. But then, for lefties like myself, who hold the device in the right hand, how will this work aside from using the device upside down? (Which may be OK since Face ID works every way, but it would still feel weird, especially when using the front camera).

A big selling point of 12.9" that I am considering is the full sized keyboard, but in my case I RARELY use the keyboard - I just like having it for peace of mind when I am traveling solely with the iPad. If that messes with the experience of using it folded back though, I think I'll have to return my keyboard folio regardless of whether I end up with 11" or 12.9". This of course diminishes the benefit of the full size keys of the 12.9".

EDIT: This thread will be helpful for those interested. It does seem to be an on going issue! https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/how-does-this-folio-work.2151367

Last edited:
Reactions: BWhaler

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
I haven’t ordered mine yet. But 90% sure i’m going with the 11” since I travel a lot. I’m an artist so the 12.9” would definitely be sweet for drawing as well as editing photos & videos on. I just don’t think that even with the slimmer bezels it will be as comfortable as the 11” when traveling. Been watching as many videos online to try and get a feel for the size differences...but I may just have to go down to an Apple store before I decide.

tomdwan

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2015
I am still waffling. I have a 15" MBP and the iPhone XS Max so I was thinking the 11" would be a good "in between" for those. I used to own a 12.9 and am wondering if the 11 is going to be too small - but I don't want it to be redundant to my MBP. Thoughts?

(Edit: I already purchased the 11" through Best Buy last night but am trying to decide whether to switch that o the 12.9, but the $200 difference is also a consideration).

My exact situation! I would like the bigger one, but at the same its too close to my 15‘‘ MBP...

Reactions: chfilm

JD2015

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
12.9 inch model for me because of the real estate. Feels too cramped with 9.7 or 10.5 when in split screen mode. Really regretted not keeping the 12.9 inch first gen. Reports appear to suggest 12.9 inch is a lot more easy to hold now. Both the 11inch and 12.9 inch will be great whatever you choose though and am very excited to get mine along with the keyboard and Apple Pencil Gen 2.

RLRabb

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2011
I considered doing the same, when I saw the 12.9's weight hadn't been reduced, I decided it wasn't for me. Plus, that price, ouch.
The weight has been reduced, from 1.49 lbs to 1.39 lbs. Definitely not as great a reduction as I would have liked, as I was hoping for just under 1.35, but not a deal breaker for me.
Agreed about the price increases.

Reactions: larzy and DNichter

HeatherA

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2009
I have a 1st gen 12.9 and have been convinced I was going to get a refreshed 10.5 when they launched. Of course that meant that I immediately ordered the 11 after the keynote. Now I'm debating if I made the right choice. This thread has helped a lot and I think I'm still leaning toward the 11 except for the split screen issue. I didn't realize that was a thing as I've only had a 12.9 for the past 3 years. Hmmmm...

Reactions: wallah and chfilm

dr.devious

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2008
Truckee Meadows, NV
I have a 1st gen 12.9 and have been convinced I was going to get a refreshed 10.5 when they launched. Of course that meant that I immediately ordered the 11 after the keynote. Now I'm debating if I made the right choice. This thread has helped a lot and I think I'm still leaning toward the 11 except for the split screen issue. I didn't realize that was a thing as I've only had a 12.9 for the past 3 years. Hmmmm...

That’s me right now. I have loved my 12.9” iPad Pros for the last few years but have been jealous of the 10.5/11’s portability. I preordered the 11” and then cancelled and ordered the 12.9”. But now I can’t decide if I should order both.

Last edited:

gabo864

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
I’m getting the 11” iPad Pro. I’m coming from a 9.7” iPad Pro so I’m sure this will be a good upgrade for me.

Reactions: chfilm

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2008
I ordered the 11 inch pro 64GB. I am worried about the 64GB or storage, but I have 200GB of iCloud storage, so I should be ok. I have an iPhone X, 256GB of which I have only used 35GB. If I streamed my music and did not store it on my phone, I would only have used 14GB. Hopefully I will be fine with 64GB.

I had the 12.9 Gen 2 and HATED it I mostly use my iPad in bed and have a 27 inch iMac when I need a computer. Besides the weight, I primarily use my iPad in portrait mode and found it difficult to view the entire screen at my preferred (close) viewing distance. I hardly ever took it out of the house, even though I had the Muzetto iPad bag from SFBAGS which was great. I maybe used my 12.9 a few times a month, if that.

I also have a 9.7 Air2 and found that to be very comfortable with the original Apple leather case. I am concerned about the weight the folio keyboard case will add. I may use it only sporadically or return it.

tripleh3lix

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2014
Ordered the 11. As much as I want the 12.9, I have a 13 inch Mac and a monitor if I need something bigger.

The 10.5 seemed perfect for me, and I’ve always thought the 12.9” was huge. I agree it’s a bit more appealing this year.. but even without the inch and a half of bezels, the screens going to be massive and will make it a little less portable still.

Even from an artist standpoint, I still think the 11” is perfect and will be perfect for drawing. The keyboard case will make it a bit thicker cause of the back, and I can’t imagine lugging around a 12.9 screen with the keyboard attached on trips. 11” is just more convenient while getting everything out of the new pro. Also that wider aspect ratio really looks more “fun” and cozy for watching movies.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
I ordered the 11 inch pro 64GB. I am worried about the 64GB or storage, but I have 200GB of iCloud storage, so I should be ok. I have an iPhone X, 256GB of which I have only used 35GB. If I streamed my music and did not store it on my phone, I would only have used 14GB. Hopefully I will be fine with 64GB.

I had the 12.9 Gen 2 and HATED it I mostly use my iPad in bed and have a 27 inch iMac when I need a computer. Besides the weight, I primarily use my iPad in portrait mode and found it difficult to view the entire screen at my preferred (close) viewing distance. I hardly ever took it out of the house, even though I had the Muzetto iPad bag from SFBAGS which was great. I maybe used my 12.9 a few times a month, if that.

I also have a 9.7 Air2 and found that to be very comfortable with the original Apple leather case. I am concerned about the weight the folio keyboard case will add. I may use it only sporadically or return it.
The weight of the folio is what I’d be worried about most with the new 12.9.
The tablet itself might be fine actually, but I’ve gotten so used to only using my 10.5 with the keyboard attached to it all the time, I’m worried that the big one would be too heavy with it, and still too big at a coffee table at a cafe for example.

Mackinjosh

Suspended
Aug 21, 2014
10.5 was already better than the 12.9, so getting an 11 inch screen in the same amount of space makes it even better. 12.9 even in a reduced size is still stupidly big for a handheld device. To me anyway.

mcgm

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2018
California
I currently have a 10.5 and decided to stick with the 11. I also ordered the new MB Air 13 and also have a MacBook Pro 15 inch (and a XS Max and an iMac) so we're all covered in terms of screen sizes.

jcmendes

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2012
Portugal
after several indecisions and cancellations I decided on the 11 ". I had previously the 12.9", but always found the smaller easier to hand and carry.
I hope I do not regret it...;);)
Despite decreasing the size of the 12.9, the 11 continues to be more practical

11"/64/wifi yet for 7 nov.

TQT

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2015
i will get the 12.9" iPad pro and Smart keyboard for the first time. coming from an iPad 10.5" and it always was bit small for taking notes with the pencil, splitscreen and productive tasks to me. hope to get more productive with the new ipad pro with keyboard.

Still got a 15" MBP (early 2013) for heavy, productive use, if the ipad fails.

Last edited:
Reactions: yaboid01

tothemoonsands

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2018
My 11” smart folio just arrived, and I can honestly say that all doubt was removed once I saw the size. It’s just a bit bigger than 9.7/10.5. Very nice!

Just wanted to share my experience/first impression after seeing it in hand. Still can’t go wrong either way in my opinion. When in doubt, I’d say go smaller.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.