Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HalfFullmoon

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2021
If it was me, yes. But I apologise if you couldn’t recognise the hyperbole in my initial post.
Don't tell these engineers that Apple sells screen protectors (and cases) in their website and probably in stores as well.

Reactions: geneo and Al Rukh

tperry

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2011
East Texas
I have had my 12P since it came out. I use a Spiegen clear case because of slight arthritis in my hands and do not want to drop it. No screen protector and I carry in my left front pocket by itself, nothing else, no scratches. For all those who wear those fancy trendy stone-washed jeans, you are going to have residual sand in your pockets that will definitely scratch any screen.
Doesn't take "fancy stone washed jeans". A standard pair of Wrangler Rugged Wear (a rednecks pair of pants) will do the same thing.

reeneebob

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2015
I’m at the point where I used to be obsessive about keeping my phone ‘perfect’. Now? I haven’t used a screen protector in years. I often am caseless, and I remember it’s just a phone. If something bad happens, I have applecare. Do I have micro scratches? Yeah. Do I care? No. They don’t affect the display at all.

It’s just a phone.

shinigamii

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2021
I’m at the point where I used to be obsessive about keeping my phone ‘perfect’. Now? I haven’t used a screen protector in years. I often am caseless, and I remember it’s just a phone. If something bad happens, I have applecare. Do I have micro scratches? Yeah. Do I care? No. They don’t affect the display at all.

It’s just a phone.
Yeah, it's not just a phone, I love my 13 Pro Max and I handle it so carefully but even though the screen scratches so I applied a film screen protector from Gadgetshieldz. This protector is so good that it can self-heal the scratches that occur on it! The scratches matter to me because they'll reduce the resale price of the phone!!!

w5jck

Suspended
Nov 9, 2013
My iPhone can scratch extremely easy and there is no screen design protection from small drops, the Ceramic coating is BS it does nothing. I am the most careful person and really disappointed with how easy damage can occur.

I’ve seen this phone move and slip from surfaces that have the tiniest of gradients, be warned, cover your lovely looking iPhone with an ugly case.
You certainly are not very careful if you drop your phone a lot, or carry it without a good protective case. I've had iPhones for 12+ years and I’ve never scratched or damaged one yet. But then I am careful and treat it like and expensive item, which it is.

Reactions: Andeddu

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
My wife has never broken or damaged her phone. Till last week when she dropped her 13 Pro Max and in the process of trying to save it, ended up throwing her phone down on cement really hard. At first we thought everything was fine - couldn't tell anything was wrong. But a few days later in bright sunlight we found out she had a hairline crack across the screen that was only visible in sunlight.

So we went to Apple and $29 screen replacement. :p.

Reactions: BugeyeSTI

Vegas33139

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2014
Muffsville, Jannerbama
My wife has never broken or damaged her phone. Till last week when she dropped her 13 Pro Max and in the process of trying to save it, ended up throwing her phone down on cement really hard. At first we thought everything was fine - couldn't tell anything was wrong. But a few days later in bright sunlight we found out she had a hairline crack across the screen that was only visible in sunlight.

So we went to Apple and $29 screen replacement. :p.
$29 for an IP13 PM screen replacement?

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
$29 for an IP13 PM screen replacement?
That's what they charged us :p

1645814750151.png

Silverariel

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2021
I’m on a 12 Pro Max. I have lots of micro scratches and scuffs but can barely notice them (only see them when screen is off in the right light). I used to use screen protectors but gave them up— they always seem to interfere with the sensitivity of touch display. I also liberally and routinely use 70% alcohol to sanitize the display of my phone. Still going strong here after a a year plus with no noticeable scratches. And I also throw my phone in pockets with sharp objects a lot. TMI FWIW.
This is the only way to use a phone!

Reactions: transpo1

elementalwingma

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2014
I scratched mine sadly after dropping it in the dirt maybe a week after I got it, few micro scratches and why they are slightly annoying, you only see them if you look for them or if the screen is off. If I end up messing up the screen and able to get it replaced with AppleCare+ I'll keep it in mind to put on a screen protector immediately.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
If you do not use a case along with a screen protector, you deserve everything you get.

Most people who don’t use cases don’t care about scratches or superficial damage anyway so it doesn’t matter much to them. Why complain about scratches on your phone when you are doing nothing to prevent or mitigate against them?

Last edited:

John981

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2017
I think the decisions that Apple makes are reasonably understandable.

They improve drop protection so that fatal damage is less likely to occur, but what they're trading off is how prone to scratches the phone is. For the consumer that makes it a fairly straightforward decision: If you only care about having a functional phone, you will probably be good even without any additional protection. If you care about keeping it pristine, then you might want to consider taking additional measures.

Modern screen protectors are fairly cheap and barely noticeable and cases are available in a variety so wide that anyone should find one to their liking. And if you must insist on using your phone without one, then I guess you'll have to stomach paying for some kind of insurance. Of course there's also the option of simply accepting that a tool that is used as often as we use our phones nowadays will inevitably incur some kind of wear and tear.

danb1979

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2015
Preston, Lancs - UK
Is this REALLY an issue; or is it a case of someone who's regretting not fitting a screen protector?

For me, it's a £1200 UK Sterling device; so having it protected IMO, is paramount.

£7 Aliun screen protector (& camera lens protector) and a £15 Spigen Tough Armor case and no damage to the phone at all!

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Scratch resistance of the Ceramic Shield screens is a joke. Can’t remember I had a single scratch on my phone in the last 10 years. My iPhone 12 slipped out of my pocket while I was sitting on the floor, screen touched the ground after it fell about 1-2 inches deep (lol). Two really big and deep scratches on the phone now.

Live by the sword, die by the sword.

The Apple silicone cases are gorgeous and add grip, I don’t see why certain people refuse to use them. A nice matte screen protector doesn’t interfere with usability either and removes the horrible reflections from the screen.

mtcislak

macrumors regular
May 30, 2019
Just applecare+ - $199 for two years or you can pay $9.99 a mo. https://www.apple.com/support/products/iphone/ you get two incidents a year.

Just read through the link you provided and have a question. I understand you get two incidents per 12 month cycle. I always understood that as like the nuclear option. 99 dollar fee they can’t fix it and you get a replacement device. Does the simple 29 dollar screen repair count towards one of two said incidents?

Splitrail

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2021
Scratch resistance of the Ceramic Shield screens is a joke. Can’t remember I had a single scratch on my phone in the last 10 years. My iPhone 12 slipped out of my pocket while I was sitting on the floor, screen touched the ground after it fell about 1-2 inches deep (lol). Two really big and deep scratches on the phone now.
Ouch!
But $60 worth of case and screen protector would have prevented that.
OUCH!

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012

kc2kth

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2009
My iPhone can scratch extremely easy and there is no screen design protection from small drops, the Ceramic coating is BS it does nothing. I am the most careful person and really disappointed with how easy damage can occur.

I’ve seen this phone move and slip from surfaces that have the tiniest of gradients, be warned, cover your lovely looking iPhone with an ugly case.
Very late to this topic, but I have to agree. I've had a half dozen iPhones starting with the 4s and never had a scratch on any, always used Otterbox cases, no screen protector. The 13 Pro Max got a scratch within the first two weeks of my owning it.

Reactions: fb1909

fb1909

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2020
Live by the sword, die by the sword.

The Apple silicone cases are gorgeous and add grip, I don’t see why certain people refuse to use them. A nice matte screen protector doesn’t interfere with usability either and removes the horrible reflections from the screen.
I don’t like the Apple silicone cases. Dust collectors. If I take them out of my pocket they look horrible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.