Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
I don’t like the Apple silicone cases. Dust collectors. If I take them out of my pocket they look horrible.

I initially didn’t know what people were talking about when they said their cases were dust magnets. I don’t see much dust but I do know what you were talking about with the silicone case. The gel cases do not collect dust at all though and I have been using them since 2013.

Each to their own. The phone is a tool to use any way you want. I have a thing for imperfections and don’t like dinks and scratches on my devices. Phones are so sturdy now that you can drop them repeatedly and only cause superficial damage. If you don’t care about imperfections, using a naked phone is fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: danb1979

danb1979

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2015
Preston, Lancs - UK
Sorry! But Then covering your phone shouln't be that issue you should be rather concern about protecting it from unwanted scratches! :)

^^^ This, exactly

But that seems to be too much like hard work for some folk...

Why, I cannot understand?!

The hell would you have a device like this for if you're not prepared to protect it; but then come on here whining when it gets marked/scratched!

Makes as much sense as a playdoh crash helmet... ?

Reactions: Andeddu

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
^^^ This, exactly

But that seems to be too much like hard work for some folk...

Why, I cannot understand?!

The hell would you have a device like this for if you're not prepared to protect it; but then come on here whining when it gets marked/scratched!

Makes as much sense as a playdoh crash helmet... ?

I’ve always believed that those who refuse to use cases to protect their phones are utilitarian types who only care about using their devices as a tools. That’s a fine mindset to have but to come here and cry after causing easily avoidable damage is both ironic and hilarious.

The moral of the story is - if you don’t like scratches, dinks, cracks and other imperfections, use a case & a screen protector. If you like using a naked phone and aren’t bothered with superficial damage, don’t come on here crying about it when your expensive toy ends up with scratches and scuff marks ?.

Reactions: danb1979 and tedley

Splitrail

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2021
I’ve always believed that those who refuse to use cases to protect their phones are utilitarian types who only care about using their devices as a tools. That’s a fine mindset to have but to come here and cry after causing easily avoidable damage is both ironic and hilarious.

The moral of the story is - if you don’t like scratches, dinks, cracks and other imperfections, use a case & a screen protector. If you like using a naked phone and aren’t bothered with superficial damage, don’t come on here crying about it when your expensive toy ends up with scratches and scuff marks ?.
I don't mind when they come here and cry, I think it's amusing when they do.
They knew better.
Funniest part is when they blame the phone! :D

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010
I don't mind when they come here and cry, I think it's amusing when they do.
They knew better.
Funniest part is when they blame the phone! :D
It’s ridiculous that manufacturers have created beautiful but fragile devices, that need to be covered with ugly cases to be functional, creating a lucrative case market. But is even more ridiculous that users support such decisions, what happened to the days where devices were usable on their own? I guess you must be one of those people that put plastic covers on their couches, instead of expecting them to be high quality and durable.

• Haha

Splitrail

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2021
It’s ridiculous that manufacturers have created beautiful but fragile devices, that need to be covered with ugly cases to be functional, creating a lucrative case market. But is even more ridiculous that users support such decisions, what happened to the days where devices were usable on their own? I guess you must be one of those people that put plastic covers on their couches, instead of expecting them to be high quality and durable.
The case doesn't make it functional. The case makes it SAFE!
Don't be so judgemental.
At 70 years old, I bought my first ever "smartphone", an iPhone 13 Pro.
Having never had a smartphone before, and unaware of all the whining about how easily damaged the phones are, my inclination was to immediately get a case and screen protector anyway.
I'm well aware of how easily damaged things can be.
My 38 year career was based upon it.
My couches remain uncovered, as do my car seats.
I'm careful to not sit down with scissors in my back pockets, and expect "wear and tear" where appropriate.
My camera gear, electronics, etc remains well used and in pristine condition.
I'm very careful with it, and take good care of it.
Right off the bat, from the start, I saw the phone as something easily damaged and mitigated that possibility.
You can go ahead and blame the phone! :D I'm amused! :p

Last edited:

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately
I just think it's funny when the case scratches the iphone itself lol
I’ve been using a stupid Anker lightning cable whilst overseas. Charge port area has a few line scratches that were never there when using original Apple cables. Same with all cases never had issues with apple cases. But one has to take care that sand or dirt entering into case is removed a few times a week from case else it’ll scratch the iPhone

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately
Like with many things in life. The beautiful ones are the most fragile. 🤣😍

Reactions: Splitrail

Splitrail

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2021
Many people look at this quite differently.
Have you not noticed how much fun people are having buying and trying different cases, showing them off, sharing the pros & cons, dressing up their phones with a custom touch?
When I bought my 13 Pro several months ago (first smartphone, no less), I had NO IDEA of the scope of the accessory market involved!

Reactions: Andeddu

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010
Many people look at this quite differently.
Have you not noticed how much fun people are having buying and trying different cases, showing them off, sharing the pros & cons, dressing up their phones with a custom touch?
When I bought my 13 Pro several months ago (first smartphone, no less), I had NO IDEA of the scope of the accessory market involved!
I get that. Some people enjoy putting stickers on their laptops or third party accessories in their cars. And they could continue to do so if the iPhones were resistant.

I prefer to keep clean and simple…but can’t do that just because of how fragile they’re.

Splitrail

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2021
I get that. Some people enjoy putting stickers on their laptops or third party accessories in their cars. And they could continue to do so if the iPhones were resistant.

I prefer to keep clean and simple…but can’t do that just because of how fragile they’re.
During my career, I learned early on that taking care of a precision instrument is the key to having it perform properly at all times, in every respect.
As a result I learned to keep my tools and equipment clean, calibrated, and safe from harm.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
My iPhone can scratch extremely easy and there is no screen design protection from small drops, the Ceramic coating is BS it does nothing. I am the most careful person and really disappointed with how easy damage can occur.

I’ve seen this phone move and slip from surfaces that have the tiniest of gradients, be warned, cover your lovely looking iPhone with an ugly case.

A case is only ugly if you think it’s ugly and it’s purely subjective. They are certainly less frustrating than you guys who seem to complain about scratching your iPhones lol. It all seems like some kind of self inflicted exercise to me.

danb1979

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2015
Preston, Lancs - UK

See, now you're just having a paddy-pants... ?

Devices, each year are costing more & more... No one wants the likes of the Nokia 3310 any more

Folk want the best they can afford; but it's a personal choice whether they protect them or not with your so-called 'ugly' cases ? That in itself is a laughable statement...

Cases again are a personal choice; myself I prefer rugged cases, the Otterbox case I've got on my IP 13 Pro Max is superb; protects my iPhone from all the elements including my slab like rough hands and the chalk I use for training...

People using cases isn't ridiculous or supporting a decision at all; it's a personal choice

Protect your phone the best you can means it's nigh on mark free and in excellent condition

Don'r protect your phone and you run the risk of damaging it; again, a personal decision...

Reactions: tedley and Andeddu

danb1979

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2015
Preston, Lancs - UK
A case is only ugly if you think it’s ugly and it’s purely subjective. They are certainly less frustrating than you guys who seem to complain about scratching your iPhones lol. It all seems like some kind of self inflicted exercise to me.

^^^ This exactly; next they'll be saying its someone else's fault that their phones got scratched and they want a refund or reimbursing...

Hell; won't spend £10-£30 on a decent case, but will cry into their pillow at night when their c£1k phone gets damaged! ?

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
I’ve been using a stupid Anker lightning cable whilst overseas. Charge port area has a few line scratches that were never there when using original Apple cables. Same with all cases never had issues with apple cases. But one has to take care that sand or dirt entering into case is removed a few times a week from case else it’ll scratch the iPhone
Problem solved. ?

1646473524264.jpeg

1646473545364.jpeg

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
Jesus wept... 'Ow Much (and I'm not even from Yorkshire)... ??
Exact words that came out of my mouth when I first saw the price. ??

Only reason I picked one up, I had a $100 voucher that I had to use.

I can vouch for this charger, had it since mid last year, doesn’t leave marks on phone cases or back of the phone, unlike apple poorly designed MagSafe puck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.