Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
It’s ridiculous that manufacturers have created beautiful but fragile devices, that need to be covered with ugly cases to be functional, creating a lucrative case market. But is even more ridiculous that users support such decisions, what happened to the days where devices were usable on their own? I guess you must be one of those people that put plastic covers on their couches, instead of expecting them to be high quality and durable.

I’ve been around since the Nokia 3310 and I can assure you that even those tank like devices sustained superficial damage. I’ve owned phones from LG, Nokia, Blackberry previously and all of them ended up with extensive superficial damage because I never used cases up until I switched to Apple.

You argument is ridiculous as all metals can scuff, glass can crack and there is no paint that cannot chip. Phones are a special case because they are carried with you wherever you go therefore the likelihood of an accident is exponentially higher than something that is static, such as a couch. That is why cases and screen protectors are required.

You are asking for high quality and durable products… well they are. You can use a naked iPhone and expect it to be functional even after dropping it. The glass we have now is tougher than ever before and its durability will allow you to use your phone without a case; just don’t come crying on here when you end up with lots of superficial chips, scratches and scuff marks.

Last edited:

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010
At no point did he say that, lol. You don’t have to care for a cheap phone because it’s easily replaceable unlike an expensive one. He said nothing about its durability.
The only reasons they are so fragile are as follows:
1. Create a lucrative case and protections market. For most people case are not optional but must-haves
2. Charge expensive repair fees/ push AppleCare+ subscriptions
3. Drive more replacements - people buy new phones

I care for my phone and since 2007 I’ve only smashed one screen. But still I really hate how it looks with most cases and not being able to confidently use it naked

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
1. Create a lucrative case and protections market. For most people case are not optional but must-haves

I care for my phone and since 2007 I’ve only smashed one screen. But still I really hate how it looks with most cases and not being able to confidently use it naked

You’re talking rubbish. All normal consumer phones are susceptible to drops and can suffer cosmetic damage. If you want a phone that doesn’t require a case you should look into the RUGGEX Tough Phone line as they are built with rubber bumpers and do not require a case. Perhaps a phone like that would be more to your liking?

It is impossible to have a phone that looks as stylish as an iPhone which is impervious to damage.

If a phone like that exists from another manufacturer, let me know.

Last edited:
Reactions: danb1979

danb1979

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2015
Preston, Lancs - UK

As already; you're talking ***** ?

Either get a case & screen protector and protect your phone; or do without either and stop whinging about it

It's clear you'll not be happy either way...

Plastic cups & string maybe?!

Reactions: Andeddu

Splitrail

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2021

k.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: tedley and danb1979

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010
Hard to discuss with fanboys who’s argument is “you either take it or to cups or strings you go”. Done with the thread.

• Haha

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Hard to discuss with fanboys who’s argument is “you either take it or to cups or strings you go”. Done with the thread.
I asked legitimate questions which you refused to answer. Anyway, byeeeee! ?

Splitrail

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2021
I’ve been using a stupid Anker lightning cable whilst overseas. Charge port area has a few line scratches that were never there when using original Apple cables. Same with all cases never had issues with apple cases. But one has to take care that sand or dirt entering into case is removed a few times a week from case else it’ll scratch the iPhone
Was it the metal collar on the Anker cable that scratched the charge port area?

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately
Was it the metal collar on the Anker cable that scratched the charge port area?
Not sure what you mean with metal collar? The lightning plug is plastic based but I think the metal used for the actual connector is microns thicker or such. Or perhaps a slight touch from the metal on the plug micro scratches the port area of the iPhone. Probably a more dominant metal used compared to the stainless steel frame. Don’t know to be honest.

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
No screen protector, rock my Sierra Blue Pro Max with and without a case.

Still looks brand spanking new. ?

Carlsberg69

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2023
Fascinating thread 😅 all started with a posters disappointment that his iPhone got more easily scratched…

In the end, it all comes back to realities of life.
1. You make a risk and opportunity assessment.
2. You judge the consequences including worst case.
3. If you don’t like the consequences you mitigate until you can accept them.

I do agree with the comments that if you don’t have a case and screen protector you have to accept that your phone is a lot more prone to be effected by external forces; scuffs, scratches, marks, damage, breakage, etc. Of course the phone will not look pristine of you don’t protected it, adding extra layers of other materials to it… Whatever the manufacturers do, phone materials will get effected by physical contacts, and I think the iPhones are definitely reasonable tough enough and have improved more and more generally speaking.

My standpoint? I belong to the gang that have accepted the risk to go without case, but with a screen protector, I don’t mind the scuffs and scratches, and for worst case I have AC+.

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
I realise this is tempting fate, but - my iPhone 13 Pro is by a long way the most resilient phone I have owned - it’s as durable and as solid as I remember my 5s being in comparison to other iPhones.

It’s basically still flawless. This is based on very heavy usage, always case free, no screen protector, kept in jeans pocket and with a 2 year old child around. It’s close to being 2 years old itself.

I’m not even particularly careful. I’m really rather impressed with it.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
You should tell that to the Apple. They seem to think otherwise...

From what I understand Apple applied their “Ceramic Shield” tech to the front glass, making it tougher, but more prone to scratches, while also applying some scratch resisting coating to the back glass. Hence the seeming paradox where the front glass is prone to scratches but is less likely to shatter and the back glass is less likely to scratch but more likely to shatter?

mebehere

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2012
2G, 4, 5, 6, XR, 12 and and now 14 Pro. And I’ve never noticed any screen scratches. It’s absolutely possible they’ve been there, but nothing noticeable. And I don’t look closely under different lighting conditions. That’s just not how I use my phone.

And I’ve never had a screen protector. I already use a case. I want to at least feel some part of the phone that’s native.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.