Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
So it’s you who replaces your phone more frequently than most then?! 😉

My OP was to share information. And I applaud the sharing of any further information from reasonably good sources (of which JerryRigs is one IMHO) whether they repeat his findings or not. Time will tell whether or not there is a concern to be had. If it turns out that the 15 PM is just as robust as previous models then that’s good news.
He took the frame to a lab to see if it really is grade 5 titanium. Show ain’t over yet! 🤣

Davidnguyen_89

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2021
heres a better video of the drop tests. man the glass of the pro max easily gets damaged without a case too for those who want to go "naked"

maratus

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2009
Canada
MagBack case, dropped on my kitchen floor.
Oh wow, I have MagBak for 13PM and it’s a thick tough case. I mostly had my massive drops in PhoneRenel Gen3 and some with Caudabe Sheath though, and the phone is mint. I’m currently using Apple Silicone on my 15PM and it feels thinner and flimsier in comparison to all 3. Not sure which second case to get.

OUsooner08

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2016
Oh wow, I have MagBak for 13PM and it’s a thick tough case. I mostly had my massive drops in PhoneRenel Gen3 and some with Caudabe Sheath though, and the phone is mint. I’m currently using Apple Silicone on my 15PM and it feels thinner and flimsier in comparison to all 3. Not sure which second case to get.
I usually use DBrand but post heart surgery I've become a gym rat and focused on my overall health, so I got the MagBak to stick to squat racks for eye level viewing of my workout app and form videos.

I'm now back to using the DBrand Grip case.

MacDeLorean

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2023
A bit disappointed. I’ve no doubts the PM will give quicker than the smaller phones. Do I regret my purchase of a 15PM? No. It will be a freak accident if my ever suffers a situation that will exert that much force in the necessary pressure points. I never carry a phone in my back pocket and if I’m doing an oil change or other activity where I’m laying, I remove my phone from my front pocket.

Nothing generates YouTube clicks faster than “the latest Samsung or Apple device is awesome or awful”…. I’m guilty of watching myself. Less guilty of being influenced.

Reactions: OUsooner08

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
A bit disappointed. I’ve no doubts the PM will give quicker than the smaller phones. Do I regret my purchase of a 15PM? No. It will be a freak accident if my ever suffers a situation that will exert that much force in the necessary pressure points. I never carry a phone in my back pocket and if I’m doing an oil change or other activity where I’m laying, I remove my phone from my front pocket.

Nothing generates YouTube clicks faster than “the latest Samsung or Apple device is awesome or awful”…. I’m guilty of watching myself. Less guilty of being influenced.

This is the point,

You have material to read or watch and make your own decision. The more the better is my motto here. Nobody has the last word or authority in the matter.

Give the consumer unfettered access to the journalist reviews and let them make their own decisions.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I tend to believe JRE‘s tests. There’s no cut scenes while he’s bending the phone with his bare hands. And it doesn’t have to be a scientific test in some top secret located enclosed lab in order for the test to show reality.

The 15PM is more delicate than the 14PM and some previous PM. But unless you plan to bend it or apply extreme pressure on it, you shouldn’t worry.

AdamInKent

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Kent, England
I guess all these worshippers of JRE ignores the statement he himself makes: “just because one breaks doesn’t mean they all would”

I don’t think we have any worshippers here; just some people who think it is worthy of note that the iPhone 15 PM fails a test that none of the other 15 models failed and no iPhone has failed for many years. And you are right; a single test does not tell the whole story, we need to see if anyone else is able to replicate it before jumping to definite conclusions.

NotApplicable

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2019
I don’t think we have any worshippers here; just people who think it is worthy of note that the iPhone 15 PM fails a test that none of the other 15 models failed and no iPhone has failed for many years. And you are right; a single test does not tell the whole story, we need to see if anyone else is able to replicate it before jumping to definite conclusions.
Sure, but afaik the other durability testers have not experienced the same outcome in the “bend it by hand test”

Not to mention, a test that bends a sample size of 1 using the very precise and accurate instrument that is the human hand isn’t exactly what one would consider scientific (I’d argue it’s not even meaningful).

Not sure why there aren’t YouTubers that do these sorts of tests using precise, reproducible methods that produce quantifiable measurements etc.

“I bent it with 7 units of hand firmness this year and it broke. Last year I promise I applied the exact same 7 units of hand firmness…”

OUsooner08

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2016
I don’t think we have any worshippers here; just some people who think it is worthy of note that the iPhone 15 PM fails a test that none of the other 15 models failed and no iPhone has failed for many years. And you are right; a single test does not tell the whole story, we need to see if anyone else is able to replicate it before jumping to definite conclusions.
I would take you seriously if you didn't move your position around. Your premise from the beginning was that somehow 1 unscientific test indicates a design flaw. Meanwhile as posted above, consumer reports did do tests on it and it passed with flying colors.

OUsooner08

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2016
Sure, but afaik the other durability testers have not experienced the same outcome in the “bend it by hand test”

Not to mention, a test that bends a sample size of 1 using the very precise and accurate instrument that is the human hand doesn’t isn’t exactly what one would consider scientific.

Not sure why there aren’t YouTubers that do these sorts of tests using precise, reproducible methods that produce quantifiable measurements etc.

“I bent it with 7 units of hand firmness this year and it broke. Last year I promise I applied the exact same 7 units of hand firmness…”
See the consumer reports test posted earlier...

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I guess all these worshippers of JRE ignores the statement he himself makes: “just because one breaks doesn’t mean they all would”

Come on now. It's still cause for a mental note, that the 15PM isn't as tough as previous models. I would put money on it that 7 out of 10 would break the same way.

• Haha

rolandkoller90

macrumors member
May 2, 2017
In the follow-up teardown video there was no mention as to why the glass may have broken. But as others have pointed out the aluminium mid frame is completely new design and has a big hole in it. Maybe that was all the flex needed to break the glass. Previous designs featured no such frame or hole as far as I know.

View attachment 2279362
View attachment 2279366

A lot of users put their phones in their back pocket which is why the bend test exists. I doubt this hole would cause many issues though.
The home is there on previous models. The wireless coil blocks it from being seen. Especially since the old back glass is heavily glued. Not the case anymore. Apple should just offer warranty back glass with an updated metal plate attached to the glass like the 15 and 15plus have.

AdamInKent

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Kent, England
I would take you seriously if you didn't move your position around. Your premise from the beginning was that somehow 1 unscientific test indicates a design flaw. Meanwhile as posted above, consumer reports did do tests on it and it passed with flying colors.
I suspect you are reading more into my original post than I intended.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom

‘Worshippers’? You’ll inadvertently discredit your own opinion trying to do it to others with that sort of statement. We are all iPhone users here and have been for years, hence why we are on this forum to begin with. Nobody worships a YouTuber, we just found his video alarming. Maybe all iPhones don’t crack under medium thumb and finger pressure and that was a bad one, but it has been stated the back glass is thinner than the 14 series which is worth discussing.

• Haha

rolandkoller90

macrumors member
May 2, 2017
I’m not convinced with this…

The 14 Pro has a metal back, but glued to the glass. Is that what makes the difference? Structurally it’s almost the same. They just moved where/how it’s sandwiched.

And isn’t the new Pro design basically how the 14/15 is constructed? They did this change starting last year. How are those ones supposedly more durable?
I’m interested in discussing this. It is the most to visible change. If I were in the design team, I’d have the wireless and MagSafe ring underneath a metal plate on the back glass. Then adhered rubber dampening on that metal plate that is sandwiched against the metal midframe. The base 14’s and 15’s have a metal plate adhered to their back glass. Only difference is there is no midframe directly under their back glass, it’s instead under the screen.

dotatoc

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2020
‘Worshippers’? You’ll inadvertently discredit your own opinion trying to do it to others with that sort of statement. We are all iPhone users here and have been for years, hence why we are on this forum to begin with. Nobody worships a YouTuber, we just found his video alarming. Maybe all iPhones don’t crack under medium thumb and finger pressure and that was a bad one, but it has been stated the back glass is thinner than the 14 series which is worth discussing.
I've only been an iPhone user for 3 years. I joined this place because I thought it'd be a bit more sensible than reddit. I now believe I was wrong.

I didn't find that video remotely "alarming" - the hyperbole here is something else. I personally found it mildly interesting but personally completely irrelevant for me, for hopefully obvious reasons.

If and/or when my back glass breaks, whatever. But I'm certainly not a member of whoever "we" are meant to be. I've owned three Iphones and have been delighted by every one. Especially this non-warm, non-sharp edged, excellent battery life thang I'm holding now.

OUsooner08

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2016
It's absolutely telling when someone posts a counter video with a actual science based test methods from Consumer Reports that the thread doesn't take note but instead continues to pursues the JRE video as irrefutable fact that there's a flaw in the design.

Reactions: driveman
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.