Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snerkler

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2012
I prefer ‘real world tests’ compared to lab tests, as the name suggests real world tests are those I’m more likely to see. That being said I don’t intend trying to bend my phone, and I try my hardest not to drop it although appreciate accidents happen.

• Haha
Reactions: Berries-A-Million

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I've only been an iPhone user for 3 years. I joined this place because I thought it'd be a bit more sensible than reddit. I now believe I was wrong.

I didn't find that video remotely "alarming" - the hyperbole here is something else. I personally found it mildly interesting but personally completely irrelevant for me, for hopefully obvious reasons.

If and/or when my back glass breaks, whatever. But I'm certainly not a member of whoever "we" are meant to be. I've owned three Iphones and have been delighted by every one. Especially this non-warm, non-sharp edged, excellent battery life thang I'm holding now.

You completely missed my point it seems, or you’ve quoted the wrong person. I wasn’t suggesting people should be labelled or fit into a criteria to post here or be a member of this forum, quite the opposite.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
It tells me the people that look at JRE as gospel are most likely just Android shills. The fact that counter evidence is provided with more trustworthy methods and is subsequently ignored speaks volumes.

You shouldn’t assume everybody intrigued by that review is an ‘Android Shill’. I was interested in both reviews and if you look at the people here commenting, many of us have been iPhone users and members of this forum for more than a decade. I have no interest or affiliation with Android.

Your assumption isn’t an uncommon one on here though. It used to be a case where whenever anything remotely negative concerning the iPhone was discussed here, it was often greeted with ‘paid by Samsung’ or ‘Android shill’ labels used. I remember getting a SIM card error with my iPhone 5 back in 2013 and being accused of being a liar or working for Samsung. In reality I had a faulty SIM card reader within my phone. Thankfully people are a lot more objective here these days. It’s just best to not assume. Don’t fall into the trap of trying to discredit posters with erroneous labels just because they view something differently to yourself. Nobody is accusing you of being an Apple insider because you’re defending them after all.

OUsooner08

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2016
You shouldn’t assume everybody intrigued by that review is an ‘Android Shill’. I was interested in both reviews and if you look at the people here commenting, many of us have been iPhone users and members of this forum for more than a decade. I have no interest or affiliation with Android.

Your assumption isn’t an uncommon one on here though. It used to be a case where whenever anything remotely negative concerning the iPhone was discussed here, it was often greeted with ‘paid by Samsung’ or ‘Android shill’ labels used. I remember getting a SIM card error with my iPhone 5 back in 2013 and being accused of being a liar or working for Samsung. In reality I had a faulty SIM card reader within my phone. Thankfully people are a lot more objective here these days. It’s just best to not assume. Don’t fall into the trap of trying to discredit posters with erroneous labels just because they view something differently to yourself. Nobody is accusing you of being an Apple insider because you’re defending them after all.
You clearly didn't read what I said.... typical.

Again, I said likely, after all when presented with counter evidence it's ignored, do the logical conclusion is....

AdamInKent

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Kent, England
You clearly didn't read what I said.... typical.

Again, I said likely, after all when presented with counter evidence it's ignored, do the logical conclusion is....
I can think of lots of logical conclusions.

Personally, I thought the shared video a bit short and lacking in detail. The written report offers up more: https://www.consumerreports.org/ele...hone-15-pro-max-passes-drop-test-a9052597453/

It’s a good sign, but it’s not the end of the story. The drop test appears to be a drop from about waist height, equivalent to fumbling a phone out of a pocket. Phones need to survive bigger drops than that. So it’s interesting, and adds to the weight of evidence, but it’s not conclusive.

Their bend test applies force equally across the glass and frame of the phone: a perfectly reasonable thing to do and showing the phone handles that sort of bend without damage. But this isn’t what JRE did, which is to apply direct pressure to the glass back with his thumbs; indicating that the glass is a possible weak point. Whether you consider the JRE test to be valid is a matter of judgment: my view is that it indicates a potential new weakness in the design of this new pro max which points to an increased likelihood of damaged back glass compared to other models.

As I’ve said before. All test evidence from reasonably well conducted tests is good and should be weighed in the balance, rather than focussing on the evidence that supports your pre-conceived view.

• Haha
Reactions: OUsooner08

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Don't waste your brain power dude, some people just want to play pigeon chess all day.

So by that definition (pigeon chess) you are suggesting that person is the reasonable one and I am ‘stupid’? Thats a rather uncalled for remark in what is a civil discussion don’t you think?

Let’s remember we are simply discussing smartphones here, this isn’t personal in any way, so let’s respect the individual’s behind the opinions shall we?

9a62e7fc5d590ca2abb1b8fc7dce68ad.jpg

Berries-A-Million

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2019
I tend to believe JRE‘s tests. There’s no cut scenes while he’s bending the phone with his bare hands. And it doesn’t have to be a scientific test in some top secret located enclosed lab in order for the test to show reality.

The 15PM is more delicate than the 14PM and some previous PM. But unless you plan to bend it or apply extreme pressure on it, you shouldn’t worry.
Then how come no one else has been able to do it with their hands?

AdamInKent

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Kent, England
Then how come no one else has been able to do it with their hands?
I can think of a couple of potential reasons.

1) no one has yet replicated the test in the same way that he did it.
2) he had a phone with a manufacturing fault.

Taking into account JRE’s past history on YouTube: I can’t see any reason to think that his test was intended to mislead or deceive.

Reactions: LIVEFRMNYC

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
Like the over heating issue, sooner or later Apple will state that some owners may have out of spec back plates that are easier to break. Then this whole debate runs out of steam and is easily forgotten.

The new issues will be loose USB-C connections and scratches on the sides of dark titanium phones…

Berries-A-Million

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2019
I can think of a couple of potential reasons.

1) no one has yet replicated the test in the same way that he did it.
2) he had a phone with a manufacturing fault.

Taking into account JRE’s past history on YouTube: I can’t see any reason to think that his test was intended to mislead or deceive.
Agreed but I also think many people took it way to far and made it a big deal when it wasn't either.

JapanApple

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2022
Japan
If watching that video made you decide which phone to purchase, you fell victim to an influencer in a bad way. The video isn't about helping people. It's about creating money for the person that made the video and nothing more.
During the pandemic, YouTube became a place where Youtubers were making five or 10 times the normal output they would do normally. There were some that were creating so much that they were annoying people to the point where some Youtubers were only wanting to get like 10 million subscribers. Where YouTube would give them a reward etc. It got to the point where I threw off many because they were just spamming useless junk. This is just my feeling. He’s just some money grabbing YouTuber these days he has some interesting Contant but he’s just one of the worst around.

Reactions: Apple_Robert

maratus

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2009
Canada
After seeing the 15 Pro Max bending in the consumer reports machine and the glass not shattering, I don't have any concerns left about the durability and the topic is closed for me. There could be one-offs, but it doesn't matter statistically. Let people have their new gate though, at least it distracts them from the crappy life we all live nowadays.

raythompsontn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2023

raythompsontn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2023
Surely you are kidding…
I don't agree with a lot of what Consumer Reports recommends. But I most certainly will trust their opinion over some fool that breaks phones, uses blow torches, an Exacto knife to intentionally scratch a phone to get attention, click bait and drive people to videos. I can break, scratch or burn any phone. I can even make a foldable iPhone 15. I have not solved the unfolding part.

And don't call me Shirley. :)

Last edited:

MacDaddyPanda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2018
Murica
WIth regards to the point pressure used to break the phone. Wouldn't a large area to bend it be more realistic? Like ones butt cheeks. lol. If the typical bending scenario is used, sitting down with large surface area such as ones butt is likely the thing to bend it. Not pin point pressure area of ones thumbs. Maybe in a scenario where it's run over by a vehicle. But in that case it's highly likely going to get damaged anyway.

T4t3r

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
I don't agree with a lot of what Consumer Reports recommends. But I most certainly will trust their opinion over some fool that breaks phones, uses blow torches, an Exacto knife to intentionally scratch a phone to get attention, click bait and drive people to videos. I can break, scratch or burn any phone. I can even make a foldable iPhone 15. I have not solved the unfolding part.

And don't call me Shirley.
All things that show how something holds up to extreme abuse, the same ways he tests every phone on his channel, with video evidence. He went further with the 15 to show the actual amount of titanium in the frame and if it was the same grade of material Apple claimed to use.

I’m not sure how validating a products’ internals, materials, construction, etc is bad for the consumer. We now know more about all those things when it comes to the iPhone 15 thanks to several YouTube channels. You don’t need to be a magazine (which charges a fee) to do that.

raythompsontn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2023
All things that show how something holds up to extreme abuse
Therein lies the problem, extreme abuse. Do people really subject their phones to that level of abuse? Is that really reasonable to think that level of abuse is normal?

Yes, it may be nice to know that dropping a phone will produce what results. I don't know of anyone that keeps a blowtorch in their pocket or accidentally exposes their phone to a blow torch for several seconds. The scratching with the sharp point of an Exacto knife is abuse well above what would be suffered with keys in the pocket.

I sub at the high school and I am constantly amazed at the durability of cheap Chromebooks used by the students. With the abuse the students give to the devices is well beyond what I consider normal. So maybe I am not well in tune with real world handling of cell phones.

I find the suffering of the phones in those types of videos abnormal, designed to get a response, gets lots of people to watch, get lots of people to link. I suppose I could create a video of making a folding iPhone 15 and then complain that it does not work afterwards and Apple should make something that can tolerate my 15 ton press.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.